iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Mar 2, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #1,216 of 4,153
I will have to try it again to confirm that - I thought it was the same as the D3 in that regard, but since it runs from battery and USB charges battery they might not have needed to add that feature.

Mar 2, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #1,217 of 4,153
I was asked to try a stock buffer in the main amp with bypassed buffers, by someone who says iBasso told them it puts out 250ma. I could try that later when my AD8599 comes in this week and I have to open it up again. iBasso said the opamp which is printed AD708 8532 is not AD708, it is AD8532. Has anyone else tried this?

I am using the AD8656 buffers with the stock ADA4841-2 because it was more aggressive and powerful with full size cans like HD600, ESW10 and Editon 9 - but Blutarsky didn't like that combo with IEM today when he came over for a mini-meet. he thought it was harsher than when he last heard the D10 stock 2 weeks ago. I guess the stock configuration is a little smoother but not quite as energetic. So, I have no way to predict how the stock buffers will sound in the main socket.

Mar 2, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #1,218 of 4,153
The upper mids are a little more forward with the 8656 as buffers, which may be what he was hearing. iBasso still prefers the stock opamp and buffers as the most balanced and they very well may be right.

Mar 2, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #1,220 of 4,153
Statement of the original problem:

Hmm, I'm having a problem with my D10, and I don't really know anything about how it works so I can't seem to figure out what's wrong with it. I'll try to be thorough...

1) Initially, I thought my AUX IN/OUT port was not working correctly because amplifying any signal completely sucked out the mids. I found out that it's most likely the cheap interconnect they included because if I bend it a certain way, it plays correctly.

2) When I try to use it as a USB DAC/amp (nothing plugged into AUX IN/OUT), the HEADPHONE OUT only outputs normally to the right channel if my headphones are plugged all the way in. If I listen to only the left side of my earphones, I can hear the music but it is very, very faint and quiet.

3) Using it as a USB DAC/amp again, the sound is different depending on varying degrees of how deep I push the headphone plug into the HEADPHONE OUT. If I plug it in barely (just the tip), I can hear both channels, equally, but it doesn't sound right (muddy and hazy). Plugging it in a little more then I can make it so only the left channel makes sound. Then finally, it's more or less like that until I plug it all the way in, which is what was described in (2), where only the right side is clearly audible.

4) Not sure if there is anything wrong here, but if I plug the headphones into the AUX IN/OUT while it's connected to the computer, I can hear both sides equally, but it's just quiet. I assume then that it's working as a line-out from the DAC, which seems to be functionally normally. All of my problems appear to be traced back to the HEADPHONE OUT.

I hope an expert here can diagnose my problem and if I'm doing something stupid and there's some sort of solution without sending it back, I'd greatly appreciate it. I feel like I've tried everything, and I am relatively sure it is not the headphones (they work fine with other sources). Is it that it's locked in some mode and therefore the HEADPHONE OUT isn't supposed to work as intended? Or is my unit defective?

Please help! Thank you!

EDIT #1: Umm, literally RIGHT after I posted this, I just tried plugging in my FiiO E3 amplifier at the AUX IN/OUT port while it was plugged into the computer as a USB DAC/amp, just out of curiosity. It was very loud and because the FiiO doesn't have any sort of volume control I unplugged it immediately. After unplugging it, my HEADPHONE OUT is now functionally normally. If someone can explain to me what just happened, I'd appreciate it still.
tongue.gif
I'm just glad it's working again...

EDIT #2: Problem has returned just suddenly. Someone help!
frown.gif

EDIT #3: Okay, plugging the FiiO back into the AUX IN/OUT again fixed it, and this time I turned the unit off and back on. Let's hope it's permanent this time...

EDIT #4: Okay, I know this isn't the most organized post, but it seems the issue keeps reappearing randomly, and now I'm observing that slight twists and slight differences in pressure on the headphone plug near the headphone jack can change how the sound is outputted when the problem reappears. The problem (sound only outputting normal out of right channel) reappears randomly without me touching the unit, and sometimes it's a smooth transition sometimes it's instant.

EDIT #5: I can't seem to isolate the problem, and everything is working against me. The little tool they included doesn't work in a couple of the screws, so I don't know how to open it up to even check what's wrong. The problem always comes back, and some fiddling with the headphone plug at the headphone jack and I can get it to work normally again, but the left channel will eventually go out again. I haven't been able to isolate the problem to the headphone jack because I don't have a working interconnect on me right now (the one they included seems to be broken already). From what I remember, the headphone jack was working fine when the D10 was being used as purely an amplifier, but that might have been a fluke and I can't test it now. Ugh.

EDIT #6: The problem hasn't reappeared for about 10 minutes now which is a record for me. The difference now? I let it charge up a bit, though the red light was never in flashing low-battery mode. I'm listening to it now with the charging circuit on as well.

EDIT #7: The problem returns... I'm thinking it has something to do with the headphone jack, but I can't get the thing open because most of the screws were already worn out when I received it. I'm suspecting that customs actually opened my package and actually might even have opened up the D10 itself carelessly and wore out the screws.
frown.gif
I noticed something was fishy when I received my package and the bag was already torn open but re-taped together. In any case, I'm probably going to just send it back to iBasso at this point because I still want to be able to open it up in the future regardless...

EDIT #8: Actually managed to get it open, inspected it a bit, tried replacing buffers, etc. Problem persists and now is becoming seemingly permanent (I can't seem to "fix it" anymore even with slight fiddling with the headphone plug).

First my defective Westone 3, now this.
frown.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #1,221 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

4) Not sure if there is anything wrong here, but if I plug the headphones into the AUX IN/OUT while it's connected to the computer, I can hear both sides equally, but it's just quiet.

The D10 has a micro crontoller that checks all inputs and outputs and then deciedes how the signal is routed. So if you turn the unit on with the headphones plugged int, the signal probably won't be routed to the line out. Turn off the unit, attach the other am to the line out and turn id on again.

If the problem remains it would probably be a warranty case.

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #1,223 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElEsido /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When using the D10 on the train and I can hear the signal clicks of nearby cellphones every other second. Is it the D10 or the headphone cable that picks up those clicks?

What source do you use? The signal could be "contaminated" before entering the D10.

Mar 2, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #1,224 of 4,153
Quote:

Hmm, I'm having a problem with my D10, and I don't really know anything about how it works so I can't seem to figure out what's wrong with it. I'll try to be thorough...

I wouldn't even bother. Something, at some level, is obviously wrong with that D10. Get iBasso to send you another.

Mar 2, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #1,225 of 4,153
Quote:

1) Initially, I thought my AUX IN/OUT port was not working correctly because amplifying any signal completely sucked out the mids. I found out that it's most likely the cheap interconnect they included because if I bend it a certain way, it plays correctly.

2) When I try to use it as a USB DAC/amp (nothing plugged into AUX IN/OUT), the HEADPHONE OUT only outputs normally to the right channel if my headphones are plugged all the way in. If I listen to only the left side of my earphones, I can hear the music but it is very, very faint and quiet.

3) Using it as a USB DAC/amp again, the sound is different depending on varying degrees of how deep I push the headphone plug into the HEADPHONE OUT. If I plug it in barely (just the tip), I can hear both channels, equally, but it doesn't sound right (muddy and hazy). Plugging it in a little more then I can make it so only the left channel makes sound. Then finally, it's more or less like that until I plug it all the way in, which is what was described in (2), where only the right side is clearly audible.

4) Not sure if there is anything wrong here, but if I plug the headphones into the AUX IN/OUT while it's connected to the computer, I can hear both sides equally, but it's just quiet. I assume then that it's working as a line-out from the DAC, which seems to be functionally normally. All of my problems appear to be traced back to the HEADPHONE OUT.

I hope an expert here can diagnose my problem and if I'm doing something stupid and there's some sort of solution without sending it back, I'd greatly appreciate it. I feel like I've tried everything, and I am relatively sure it is not the headphones (they work fine with other sources). Is it that it's locked in some mode and therefore the HEADPHONE OUT isn't supposed to work as intended? Or is my unit defective?

Please help! Thank you!

EDIT #1: Umm, literally RIGHT after I posted this, I just tried plugging in my FiiO E3 amplifier at the AUX IN/OUT port while it was plugged into the computer as a USB DAC/amp, just out of curiosity. It was very loud and because the FiiO doesn't have any sort of volume control I unplugged it immediately. After unplugging it, my HEADPHONE OUT is now functionally normally. If someone can explain to me what just happened, I'd appreciate it still.
tongue.gif
I'm just glad it's working again...

EDIT #2: Problem has returned just suddenly. Someone help!
frown.gif

EDIT #3: Okay, plugging the FiiO back into the AUX IN/OUT again fixed it, and this time I turned the unit off and back on. Let's hope it's permanent this time...

EDIT #4: Okay, I know this isn't the most organized post, but it seems the issue keeps reappearing randomly, and now I'm observing that slight twists and slight differences in pressure on the headphone plug near the headphone jack can change how the sound is outputted when the problem reappears. The problem (sound only outputting normal out of right channel) reappears randomly without me touching the unit, and sometimes it's a smooth transition sometimes it's instant.

EDIT #5: I can't seem to isolate the problem, and everything is working against me. The little tool they included doesn't work in a couple of the screws, so I don't know how to open it up to even check what's wrong. The problem always comes back, and some fiddling with the headphone plug at the headphone jack and I can get it to work normally again, but the left channel will eventually go out again. I haven't been able to isolate the problem to the headphone jack because I don't have a working interconnect on me right now (the one they included seems to be broken already). From what I remember, the headphone jack was working fine when the D10 was being used as purely an amplifier, but that might have been a fluke and I can't test it now. Ugh.

EDIT #6: The problem hasn't reappeared for about 10 minutes now which is a record for me. The difference now? I let it charge up a bit, though the red light was never in flashing low-battery mode. I'm listening to it now with the charging circuit on as well.

EDIT #7: The problem returns... I'm thinking it has something to do with the headphone jack, but I can't get the thing open because most of the screws were already worn out when I received it. I'm suspecting that customs actually opened my package and actually might even have opened up the D10 itself carelessly and wore out the screws.
frown.gif
I noticed something was fishy when I received my package and the bag was already torn open but re-taped together. In any case, I'm probably going to just send it back to iBasso at this point because I still want to be able to open it up in the future regardless...

EDIT #8: Actually managed to get it open, inspected it a bit, tried replacing buffers, etc. Problem persists and now is becoming seemingly permanent (I can't seem to "fix it" anymore even with slight fiddling with the headphone plug).

First my defective Westone 3, now this.
frown.gif

I would contact iBasso with the problem,I would say you have a bad unit.
I would say iBasso's quality control is lacking with rushing out these out of stock units.

Mar 2, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #1,226 of 4,153
sounds like an intermittent grounding issue on the jack to me; send it back, dont mess around with it. thats what warranties are for. and dont be playing with the jack pushing it in slowly, you could cause a short. with the tip in you obviously get the right channel coming through the left, then most of the way in you are getting the one channel through both left and right and then all the way in you are only getting the functioning channel and an intermittent channel which sounds to be like it is shorting to ground intermittently. but while doing that you are also shorting the output to ground; they will have some form of resistance tio stop any shorts from reaching the dac I would imagine, but still not a good thing to be doing really

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElEsido
When using the D10 on the train and I can hear the signal clicks of nearby cellphones every other second. Is it the D10 or the headphone cable that picks up those clicks?

I would say both, but unfortunately more the D10, headphone cxables are usually shielded to some degree. sounds like the usual ineffective RF shielding iBasso use. why they havent got that sorted out by now I dont know. its probably the major thing stopping me from buying one. it has been reported with T4, D2, D3 and now D10. come-on, its not THAT hard. that actually really sux, because I was really hoping they had fixed that issue with this one, was the first ibasso offering that I have been truly tempted to buy. although I suppose I could rig something up myself. sounds like too much trouble though. anyone else having this problem??

Mar 2, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #1,227 of 4,153
"Quote......................................snip.. .......................
sounds like the usual ineffective RF shielding iBasso use. why they havent got that sorted out by now I dont know. its probably the major thing stopping me from buying one. .........................snip..................... .....Unquote"

It is not ineffective shielding, it is the ADA4841-2 opamp that is very susceptible to RF that is picked up by the input cable, which acts as an RF antenna. While this is annoying, it can be reduced or eliminated by removing the cellphone by several feet from the phone.

I have observed this RF interference problem on several other high-quality portable amps made by other manufacturers.

Cellphones communicate with the cell base station by varying their output power depending on the distance. Sometimes with a very strong signal showing on your phone, there will be little, if any, RF interference, with a weak signal, you will hear more.

IMO, the ADA4841 is one of the best audio opamps, but if the interference is too much of a problem, use a different opamp.

Mar 2, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #1,228 of 4,153
to add on to HiFlight post, using ad8397 and the RF interference is greatly reduce compare to stock setup. ad8397 with bypassed buffer will only pickup minor RFI when the cellphone is less than 10cm.

BTW, anyone can compare how ad8599 will sound compare to ad8397 and ad8066?

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #1,229 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to add on to HiFlight post, using ad8397 and the RF interference is greatly reduce compare to stock setup. ad8397 with bypassed buffer will only pickup minor RFI when the cellphone is less than 10cm.

BTW, anyone can compare how ad8599 will sound compare to ad8397 and ad8066?

HiFlight says the AD8599 can sound like his iQube, and match or beat it's performance. I should have mine in a day or two to try and report on.

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #1,230 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds like an intermittent grounding issue on the jack to me; send it back, dont mess around with it. thats what warranties are for. and dont be playing with the jack pushing it in slowly, you could cause a short. with the tip in you obviously get the right channel coming through the left, then most of the way in you are getting the one channel through both left and right and then all the way in you are only getting the functioning channel and an intermittent channel which sounds to be like it is shorting to ground intermittently. but while doing that you are also shorting the output to ground; they will have some form of resistance tio stop any shorts from reaching the dac I would imagine, but still not a good thing to be doing really

Thanks for your input.

Just wanted to give some quick praise to iBasso's service as they have handled my situation perfectly. I'm sending my faulty unit back, e-mailing them a scan of the USPS receipt and once I do so, they will send a new replacement. If they find that the issue is indeed with the D10, they will refund me the return shipping. Can't ask for any more than that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back