iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Feb 28, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #1,186 of 4,153
USB related question: If you plug the D10 to PC/laptop's USB, as what device it appears?

Thank you.

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #1,188 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It doesn't affect the optical line out result so i'll pass. But i believe H320 owner will be very interested
biggrin.gif
On a side note, how does it compare to imod? I find that even iriver stock lineout is better than imod 4G or 5G with BG.

Look like I'm about to find some Elna caps to roll my D10

That's the whole point, this mod does not affect optical out. Recently I have been comparing the output of iMod 5G and 4G (all DIY) with the iRiver H140 Lineout - the H140 fell off just very slightly. The stock Lineout was not open sounding enough compared to modded iPods (with the right caps).

But with this mod, the true capabilities of the H140 internal DAC is beginning to shine as it nearly outgun the modded iPods - this with practically no burn in on the H140 Elna caps.

Most importantly, I am really bothered with the extra bulk of my external optical DAC and despite the stellar sound, I think a properly tweaked H140 internal DAC can actually scale up to match them almost eye to eye

Feb 28, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #1,189 of 4,153
Weird.

I had my D10 fully charged yesterday using the power adapter. After which I flip the charge switch to off, and plug it into the USB port of my PC and continue burring in both the D10 and my newly bought IE8, which volume set at 1 o'clock position.

Just now I was surprised to find that my D10 turned itself off, with the USB cable still connected to my PC. I flipped the charge switch to on (without pulling the USB cable), and the D10 turned itself on again, with the red light below the volume knob flashing (indicating very low battery). Does this means that the D10 has been using up the battery for the last 2 days!? However, after a few minutes, the red light became steady and stopped flashing, suggested that the battery is being charged through the USB cable!

How is it possible that the D10 runs on battery power and charges it at the same time, when connected to PC using USB!?

Feb 28, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #1,190 of 4,153
To use the external power, D10 charging switch must be on.

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #1,191 of 4,153
Started burning in my d10 today... I am extremely impressed. The only amps that I have previously listened to are the e3, e5, and pa2v2... and the d10 amp is simply amazing compared to them. I can only imagine how a full-sized desktop amp would sound...

I'm currently using the stock setup. I doubt I'll change anything until everything is completely burned in. I haven't tried the DAC yet (and won't be using the optical), but I hope to do so soon...
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #1,192 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most importantly, I am really bothered with the extra bulk of my external optical DAC and despite the stellar sound, I think a properly tweaked H140 internal DAC can actually scale up to match them almost eye to eye

I can understand that...but the D10 is reasonably sized enough that it's a decent compromise...and enough of a solution for my situation that I would pass on that capacitor Mod. Before the D10, I would have been tempted....

Hopefully you'll post your extended impressions somewhere for us H1xx fans to see.

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #1,193 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can understand that...but the D10 is reasonably sized enough that it's a decent compromise...and enough of a solution for my situation that I would pass on that capacitor Mod. Before the D10, I would have been tempted....

Hopefully you'll post your extended impressions somewhere for us H1xx fans to see.

I'm fairly confident he'll get the d10 at some point of time. Most probably after he is done wif burn in of the caps.
Using d10 would be not much of different in size compare to most amp unless we are talking about supermicro

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #1,194 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm fairly confident he'll get the d10 at some point of time. Most probably after he is done wif burn in of the caps.
Using d10 would be not much of different in size compare to most amp unless we are talking about supermicro

Hey EFN, I think theory is saying "It's inevitable Mr. Anderson"
smile.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #1,195 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by khtse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weird.

I had my D10 fully charged yesterday using the power adapter. After which I flip the charge switch to off, and plug it into the USB port of my PC and continue burring in both the D10 and my newly bought IE8, which volume set at 1 o'clock position.

Just now I was surprised to find that my D10 turned itself off, with the USB cable still connected to my PC. I flipped the charge switch to on (without pulling the USB cable), and the D10 turned itself on again, with the red light below the volume knob flashing (indicating very low battery). Does this means that the D10 has been using up the battery for the last 2 days!? However, after a few minutes, the red light became steady and stopped flashing, suggested that the battery is being charged through the USB cable!

How is it possible that the D10 runs on battery power and charges it at the same time, when connected to PC using USB!?

The D10 amp section (like the D2 Boa) is always running off battery, so you have to flip the charge switch to "on" to keep the battery topped off while running it constantly for burn-in.

If you use only the USB DAC with line-out then you do not need to turn on the amp section or have the charge switch flipped on, as the DAC section runs off the USB power only and will not drain the battery.

Interestingly, the optical coax DAC section still needs the amp to be turned on, even to only use the line out.

Feb 28, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #1,196 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D10 picks up on detail but requires burn-in time. How many hours do you have on your D10?

I am using the stock opamp and the 8656 as buffers. The stock configuration is also very good, in my opinion.

I haven't been keeping track that closely, but I'd say it's rapidly approaching 100 hrs.

Yeah, I'm impatient

Feb 28, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #1,197 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HiFlight says the AD8599 in the D10 is the best, and rivals or beats his iQube. I forget what opamps for buffers he recommended with that. I have one on the way.

PS: I have the AD8599 in my modded Stax SR-001 and it kicks butt.

Gotcha...one thing...Hi Flight told me that you shouldn't press down on the chip itself, but use your fingernails to push down on the edges of the browndog adapter. If you push on the SOIC chip, you may break a solder connection, which is what I did.

Feb 28, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #1,199 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interestingly, the optical coax DAC section still needs the amp to be turned on, even to only use the line out.

USB is designed to carry power to the device that's plugged in (5 volts, I think). An optical (or coax) connection doesn't transfer power, so the DAC needs to use the amp's battery.

Hope this helps.

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back