iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Mar 2, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #1,232 of 4,153
That is as good as it gets!
cool.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #1,233 of 4,153
I have to say I'm more and more impressed with each listen to this thing. It's not quite as warm as my Headroom Micro Stack, but it's pretty close everywhere else, and it's nowhere near broken in enough. Think I'll put the Micro Stack on the FS board, because I don't get a chance to listen to it anyway.

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #1,234 of 4,153
I can only use my Micro Stack as my bedside rig, sometimes swapping out the amp for a change of pace. The D10 is my "go to" rig for my laptop now.

I got my AD8599 in today, and LTC6241HV Saturday, so i will be trying both of those tonight, hopefully.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #1,235 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Quote......................................snip.. .......................
sounds like the usual ineffective RF shielding iBasso use. why they havent got that sorted out by now I dont know. its probably the major thing stopping me from buying one. .........................snip..................... .....Unquote"

It is not ineffective shielding, it is the ADA4841-2 opamp that is very susceptible to RF that is picked up by the input cable, which acts as an RF antenna. While this is annoying, it can be reduced or eliminated by removing the cellphone by several feet from the phone.

I have observed this RF interference problem on several other high-quality portable amps made by other manufacturers.

Cellphones communicate with the cell base station by varying their output power depending on the distance. Sometimes with a very strong signal showing on your phone, there will be little, if any, RF interference, with a weak signal, you will hear more.

IMO, the ADA4841 is one of the best audio opamps, but if the interference is too much of a problem, use a different opamp.

i'm aware that its not just the amp or this amp in particular, but put it this way, I dont turn to airplane mode with my iphone at all even when actually using it as a DAP with my pico (actually strapped to each other, so cant get closer) and I can use the internet, send/receive email, take calls everything is silent no matter how far or close I am to the tower. only time I get some RF is when it switches to 2g (in 3G blackspots) and pings the tower to log on or verify its position. on 3G there is absolutely nothing with pico. and for the record, my interconnects are totally unshielded; simply a braid, so good for EMI but for RF it doesnt effectively shield it, so blaming the IC is not really appropriate. Yes maybe the op-amp is part of the problem, but it does seem to be a problem with pretty much the whole ibasso line and you shouldnt have to tweak a product just to avoid issues such as this that should really be sorted out with shielding or more R&D. otherwise it sounds like a fantastic product, just this issue turns me off a bit, I dont want to have to wrap the amp in ERS paper or alfoil to reduce RF interference. I like to leave that stuff to Patrick
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #1,236 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElEsido /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When using the D10 on the train and I can hear the signal clicks of nearby cellphones every other second. Is it the D10 or the headphone cable that picks up those clicks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What source do you use? The signal could be "contaminated" before entering the D10.

I use an iriver H140 with an optical connection to the D10.

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #1,237 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
although I suppose I could rig something up myself. sounds like too much trouble though.

About the RF-interference from cell phones: What would you do about it if you had to? Would stuffing some layers of anti-static-bags inside the case help?

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #1,238 of 4,153
Quote:

It is not ineffective shielding, it is the ADA4841-2 opamp that is very susceptible to RF that is picked up by the input cable, which acts as an RF antenna.

The H140 is connected via optical, which shouldn't pick up RF signals, I believe.

Quote:

While this is annoying, it can be reduced or eliminated by removing the cellphone by several feet from the phone.

I even hear other people's phones from several meters away when mine is switched off. I believe what I hear are the clicks when the phones switch base stations, which happens quite often on a running train. There is also the longer hum of a voice call building up, and of course the caracteristic rhythm of text messages.

Quote:

IMO, the ADA4841 is one of the best audio opamps, but if the interference is too much of a problem, use a different opamp.

I hoped I could live happily ever after with the stock opamps...

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #1,240 of 4,153
I have an allen wrench, silver in color, that came with mine and it works fine. How doesn't it fit? Too big, too small?

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #1,241 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an allen wrench, silver in color, that came with mine and it works fine. How doesn't it fit? Too big, too small?

Too small. Allen wrench too.

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #1,242 of 4,153
I would go to an Ace hardware or the like as it will take a while to get one from iBasso. I am not sure why they would have other sizes to include but I would also email iBasso.

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #1,243 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would go to an Ace hardware or the like as it will take a while to get one from iBasso. I am not sure why they would have other sizes to include but I would also email iBasso.

Alright, yah it's too small for the extras that come with too.
confused_face(1).gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #1,244 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by npcraig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too small. Allen wrench too.

Perhaps you got one like me....not a wrench, but screws that are too big (perhaps stripped) for the allenwrench to properly latch onto when turning.

Their recommendation to me was to look for a new wrench...I haven't yet b/c I can open the front just fine to change opamps

Mar 4, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #1,245 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by npcraig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, yah it's too small for the extras that come with too.
confused_face(1).gif

If I were you, just get yourself a better one. The one that came with the D10 does not appear to be a quality type. It may not even be exactly 1/16".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back