iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Feb 19, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #736 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ordered mine on the 5th (from memory and wuwhere's was ordered on the 7th) of february, but immtbiker ordered his sometime in january so goign off that I just presumed they had cleared the backlog of orders and shipped out at once and will now start working on orders as they come in?

I could be wrong though.

You should have at least gotten a DHL tracking number by now.

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #737 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The other interesting question is what signal is RockBox and the H140 actually outputting from this 24/192 file. Is it being downsampled before being send out or send out as 24/192.

Seems this subject is being debated in this thread at rockbox.org (started out as a question regarding the iPod about a year ago but tody somebody asked specifically about the H1XX, and the D10 is also mentioned in there) 24/96 (HIRES files for playback...)
I'm not getting any more hires files until I know the answer to this because if it really downsamples there is no point in buying higher than 16/44.

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #738 of 4,153
The light right by the USB comes on when the USB is plugged in. The charge light is the one that comes on red by the toggle. On mine, after some time it will go out but not always. The one confusing thing on the D10 is the charging. I normally just leave mine plugged in to the USB.

The toggle doesn't get in the way of the 90 degree optical connectors because they are just far enough away from the body to clear it.

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #739 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interestingly, I have three DAC/amps connected at the same time to my Macbook Pro at this very moment, and I was listening to them by switching back and forth last night and today; and they all seem to be of equivalent sound quality albeit some small difference in sound signature - those being the D10 via Optical, Pico via USB and Duet via Firewire.

With my Westone ES3X the D10 and Pico are dead silent with no hiss, and the Apogee has a very slight background hiss with the volume all the way down (but not enough to interfere with listening to quiet music). Of the three, using the headphone out I prefer the D10 via optical and Duet via firewire by a small margin, both at 24/96 bit rates which allows me to hear more details with my native 24/96 music files.

No more till my review is done. I'm working on the opamp rolling portion now.

than my t1 must be ultra sensitive. I heard very soft humming sound on D10 and it even louder on MisterXP. It also hiss with diablo and SuperMicroIV. Only with Reference, it dead silent. Lucky once the music start, it drown out those unwanted noise.

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #740 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The light right by the USB comes on when the USB is plugged in. The charge light is the one that comes on red by the toggle. On mine, after some time it will go out but not always. The one confusing thing on the D10 is the charging. I normally just leave mine plugged in to the USB.

The toggle doesn't get in the way of the 90 degree optical connectors because they are just far enough away from the body to clear it.

Thanks for answering my questions John. Really appreciate it.

Couldn't sleep last night so I listened to "Morph the Cat" in it's entirety.

A truly pleasurable listening session.
I am going to leave the OEM stock op amps in for a while before I play.

I can't believe what a perfect match the D-10 is to the iRiver. A match made in heaven.

One thing that I noticed. With my MicroDac and my Desktop, while using the optical input, when I shut the source down or pause it, there is a shooshing noise when there is no lock, but it is dead silent with the Cobra.

When you turn off the H-120, there is so noticeable sounds.

Feb 19, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #741 of 4,153
Quote:

Seems this subject is being debated in this thread at rockbox.org (started out as a question regarding the iPod about a year ago but tody somebody asked specifically about the H1XX, and the D10 is also mentioned in there) 24/96 (HIRES files for playback...)
I'm not getting any more hires files until I know the answer to this because if it really downsamples there is no point in buying higher than 16/44.

I've tried playing 24/96 FLAC files and my H120 couldn't handle it. I haven't played with this since, but either the CPU couldn't keep up with the decoding (I tend to encode everything at FLAC 8 which normally doesn't increase decoding speed much, but might for such large files), or the buffering just wasn't fast enough for such a large file. I've had no problems with 16/92 (which does sound noticeably better than 16/44) or 16/48. *shrug* I'll try again at some point, but I don't current have a means of measuring exactly what is coming out of the player.

Feb 19, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #742 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried playing 24/96 FLAC files and my H120 couldn't handle it. I haven't played with this since, but either the CPU couldn't keep up with the decoding (I tend to encode everything at FLAC 8 which normally doesn't increase decoding speed much, but might for such large files), or the buffering just wasn't fast enough for such a large file. I've had no problems with 16/92 (which does sound noticeably better than 16/44) or 16/48. *shrug* I'll try again at some point, but I don't current have a means of measuring exactly what is coming out of the player.

My H140 with RockBox 3.1 plays the 24/192 flac files just fine and it sounds noticeably better that the rest of my library that is all 320 KB aac but it would be nice to know exactly what is coming out of the optical output. We'll se if somebody answers in the thread on the RockBox forum.

Feb 19, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #743 of 4,153
Quote:

After reading that thread, Rockbox, in its current form, brings everything back to 16/44.
ksc75smile.gif
Unless someone(s) develop the necessary software to support 24/96.

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #746 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the line out? It may resample digital out to 16 bit/44 or 48khz but line out may be 24 bit 192khz (if the internal DAC supports it)

I'm sorry for my very basic knowledge but does the internal DAC work always and with every out of the player?

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #747 of 4,153
Yes the internal dac is what converts the digital file (mp3, aac, whatever) to the analog signal that is being send to the headphone out (via an amplification circuit) and line-out for external amplification if the player has such an option. What is special about the iRiver H1XX series players is that they also support a digital line-out (optical) which sends the digital signal that is normally fed to the internal dac out of the unit for an external dac to convert it and external dac's are almost always of a higher quality than the ones built into the players.

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #748 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the line out? It may resample digital out to 16 bit/44 or 48khz but line out may be 24 bit 192khz (if the internal DAC supports it)

Rockbox will always truncate the sample down to 16 bits and re-sample it at 44kHz, which means it does not matter whether you are using the internal or external DAC.

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #749 of 4,153
Yes that is what it seems like at the moment. I think I'll still be getting the 24/192 files as future proofing as I'm sure they will be useable in full glory sometime in the future and even now they clearly sound better than my 320 kb aac files. Wheter there is a noticeable difference between the downsampled files and one natively in 16/44 I don't know and Linn's site requires me to buy the cd again in that format. You would have thought that buying (and paying the premium) the higest bit rate you would automatically get access to download the lower bitrate songs but apparently not. Also to get a waw version instead of a flac version you have to buy again.

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #750 of 4,153
What is the DAC spec in the ibasso? Just because you're playing back 24 bit 192khz does not mean there is no downsamling going on somwhere. Rockbox may add 24 bit 192khz internal conversion but does the optical output spec support that? And does the ibasso?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back