iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Feb 19, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #723 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorthon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the height difference between using a right angle configuration vs a not using right angle adapters?

The height of the stack is the same, but the u-bend vs 90 degree will make it about 1.5" deeper, all from the difference in cables.

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #724 of 4,153
Quote:

I am planning on getting a D10 to go with my iRivers. I need to determine how I want to route the optical cable before ordering from sys concepts. Could you help me out with the below questions.

What is the optimal cable configuration to minimize the overall height of the stack?

What is the optimal cable configuration to minimize the overall width of the stack?

Is there are different center to center dimension that is specifed if you decide to go vertical or horizontal?

There was mention about the right angle plugs angled upward. If you were to order a longer cable, say 4 cm, that should prevent the adapters from rotating upward ... Correct?

I would assume the extra length that would need to be specifed would be the horizontal offset between the two units when stacked on center. Does this sound logical to you guys and does anybody know what that dimension is ?

Mini-to-toslink w/o the shells would be the best. No adapters needed.

I ordered both cables with 3cm C2C.

I'm unsure about the 4cm C2C. Perhaps its enough.

I measured the vertical offset and its about 5mm.

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #725 of 4,153
Quote:

What is the height difference between using a right angle configuration vs a not using right angle adapters?

The difference between this:

Optical-cable-D10H140.jpg

...and this, no?

right-angle-adapters-D10.jpg

Mine will look different (and be a little shorter length) than Picture #1 because my Mini-Toslink cable was made without sleeves.

I still don't see how the Charge toggle switch, wouldn't interfere with the right angle connectors, if you didn't angle them up slightly.
It seems like it would bash right into the cable.

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #727 of 4,153
wooo, its now at my local hub and will no doubt be sent out for delivery very soon.

England really needs to sort its logistics out though, it took 17 hours for the amp to be picked up from ibasso's factory in Hong Kong, taken to the Hong Kong hub, sorted and loaded and then flown to London.

It's currently taken 14 hours to get from london to manchester... and counting.

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #728 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
of course you should use usb if thats what you plan.

the sound will not be a million miles away from an optical connection, and remember as with most things, the differences are more subtle than they appear in the written form on head-fi in most instances.

I know...I'm just hearing some harshness in the highs on every can through this USB-to-DAC-to-Amp setup. It could be me "wanting" to hear a problem, but I'm curious enough to try. Will a USB-able optical soundcard be a solution, or will it just replicate the problem since it's USB as well? I have no idea what to try.

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #729 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know...I'm just hearing some harshness in the highs on every can through this USB-to-DAC-to-Amp setup. It could be me "wanting" to hear a problem, but I'm curious enough to try. Will a USB-able optical soundcard be a solution, or will it just replicate the problem since it's USB as well? I have no idea what to try.

I honestly could not tell you and would not want to give you duff advice which ends up costing you money (if you bought something unsuitable or whatever)

I Have yet to listen to an optical connection yet myself, I did have a usb pico dac but had to sell recently for some funds, so I couldn't even give a half way reliable comparison as it has been a month or two since I sold my pico now.

I think if I wanted to utilise the optical connection on my d10 through my computer I would just buy a sound card that featured optical out.

That being said, your suggestion could well be a cheaper solution.

I would wait for the more experienced guys to give you a suggestion before you follow any route i give you.

Sorry I can't be more help but I fully understand that nagging you have regarding wanting to try and get the best sound out of the equipment you have.

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #730 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^ Same height, but from the picture, Jam's iHP-140 has footings that's why his is raised up a bit.

Good point. Thanks. So as Jam said, the ideal C2C is 2.5cm.

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #731 of 4,153
Quote:

I honestly could not tell you and would not want to give you duff advice which ends up costing you money (if you bought something unsuitable or whatever)

I Have yet to listen to an optical connection yet myself, I did have a usb pico dac but had to sell recently for some funds, so I couldn't even give a half way reliable comparison as it has been a month or two since I sold my pico now.

I think if I wanted to utilise the optical connection on my d10 through my computer I would just buy a sound card that featured optical out.

That being said, your suggestion could well be a cheaper solution.

I would wait for the more experienced guys to give you a suggestion before you follow any route i give you.

Sorry I can't be more help but I fully understand that nagging you have regarding wanting to try and get the best sound out of the equipment you have.

No, I appreciate your candor. Your advice is much appreciated, brother.
floatsmile.png

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #732 of 4,153
Quote:

wooo, its now at my local hub and will no doubt be sent out for delivery very soon.

England really needs to sort its logistics out though, it took 17 hours for the amp to be picked up from ibasso's factory in Hong Kong, taken to the Hong Kong hub, sorted and loaded and then flown to London.

It's currently taken 14 hours to get from london to manchester... and counting.

If you don't mind me asking, when did you order yours? I'm just trying to figure out a rough estimate of when I'll get mine. Seems like they're starting to send out the orders from ~3-4 weeks ago.

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #733 of 4,153
ordered mine on the 5th (from memory and wuwhere's was ordered on the 7th) of february, but immtbiker ordered his sometime in january so goign off that I just presumed they had cleared the backlog of orders and shipped out at once and will now start working on orders as they come in?

I could be wrong though.

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #734 of 4,153
That sounds promising. I ordered mine on the 12th, so they haven't finished all of their backlogged orders yet. It sounds like I'll be getting mine soon though.
biggrin.gif
Hopefully they'll ship it before next week.

Feb 19, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #735 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopQuark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good point. Thanks. So as Jam said, the ideal C2C is 2.5mm.

2.5cm not mm. Just my opinion, with a 0-3mm footings, toslink-to-miniplug w/o shells, 2.5cm C2C would be the minimum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back