iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Jan 23, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #151 of 4,153
Looks like DHL tried to deliver mine an hour ago, but says no one was home...
...but I was sitting right here!

The joys of apartment buildings.
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #152 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikenet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like DHL tried to deliver mine an hour ago, but says no one was home...
...but I was sitting right here!

The joys of apartment buildings.
tongue.gif

I would get on the phone.

The size is almost the same as the iRiver H120/140. What a match up! Optical from a hard drive right into the D10 and a really small package.

And the sound, well more to come.

I am actually surprised at how good this sounds. I expected it would sound like the D3 or there about but it is a little warmer and very natural sounding with good stage depth. . . well I need to let it burn in.

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #153 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would get on the phone.

The size is almost the same as the iRiver H120/140. What a match up! Optical from a hard drive right into the D10 and a really small package.

And the sound, well more to come.

I am actually surprised at how good this sounds. I expected it would sound like the D3 or there about but it is a little warmer and very natural sounding with good stage depth. . . well I need to let it burn in.

Good stuff. Guess I'll order in the next batch.

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #154 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a DHL tracking number two days ago...but it still comes up as a no-show if you try to track it. I have no idea when to expect mine.

About 3pm 1/23 in china was 5am today for me when mine took off on de plane. It should land in the USA this afternoon, so maybe I'll have it by Monday or Tuesday.

Actually, it left the Hong Kong hub about 7:30PM their time, and they are what about 15 hours ahead? Anyway, it left there about 9 hours ago I think.

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #156 of 4,153
I just got a Canon 5D II, with almost twice the resolution of my 5D so I will see what I can do. :^)

The kit they send is a very nice touch. Where some places charge more with the D10 you get 2 different opamps (4 total) and one set of adapters that can be used to eliminate the need for the buffers. There is also an allen wrench so you can open the case. Nice.

Jan 23, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #157 of 4,153
I have setup the following configuration in my D10:
AD8656 in LR, and the supplied iBasso dummy buffers in the 2 buffer sockets. The AD8656 is also one of my low-voltage favorites, and seems to be a stellar performer in the D10. I can live with this configuration and find it unlikely that other opamps will be a significant sonic improvement.

The D10 soundstage gives me the impression of a subtle crossfeed implementation, and does not give the "between the ears" impression that many headphone amps deliver. I find that the soundstage is rather "in front" with the AD8656. With the ADA4841-2 and buffers, it was a closer soundstage. Imaging with both is quite good. Overall, the sound is somewhat speaker-like rather than typically headphone.

I also tried the D10 with my IE8s and Images. I will have to turn down the bass when using my IE8s. Lows are stronger than in my previous iBasso amps, at least with the IE8s.

I did have to resort to high-gain when listening to my RS-1s, but the amp handles them very well. I could always re-install the buffers, but still prefer the bypassed sound. I am not sure how well this combination could drive something like the Senn. HD650s. Would probably need the AD8656 and the LMH6643 buffers to get the horsepower for them. Naturally, battery life would be shortened.

The sound from this configuration thru the DAC is superb, probably better than any of the other portables I have heard. The sound is very natural, hard to put a label on it. Just sound very realistic and extremely well balanced. The amp section is better than the stock D1. Nothing is lost when inputing thru the DAC and the internal amp. I can't see any big reason to use it as a standalone DAC. There seems to be no shortage of power at all. I am using low gain and about 10 o'clock position on volume control for a very realistic level of sound.

I am, at the moment, using my Sony F1 headphones and they seem to be a very good matchup.

Due to the low supply voltage to the opamp sockets, there are relatively few opamps that will work well in the D10, however the upside is that those that do work are great sounding opamps!

I find that soundstage and imaging seem to be enhanced by using the dummy buffers, as long as the headphones used are relatively efficient.

I will have to say that based on my experience with the D10 so far that iBasso has developed a product that both cosmetically and functionally is right up there with the best portables.

Jan 23, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #158 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound from this configuration thru the DAC is superb, probably better than any of the other portables I have heard.

With you also owning an iQube let me be the first to say HOT DAMN!

Jan 24, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #159 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by brandnewgame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With you also owning an iQube let me be the first to say HOT DAMN!

With the configuration that I am running, the D10 does not in any way give ground to my iQube! Although perhaps this is a trite expression, I do feel the D10 to be more musical, and believe that I can listen to it for longer periods of time without the feeling that I am listening to an amp.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that the D10 sounds absolutely stunning when feeding it from the optical output of my iRiver!

Jan 24, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #160 of 4,153
Not much I can add to HiFlights review. With the ESW10 the sound is, . . . damn good. Clean and solid. The D10 has been worth waiting for and I love the finish they have gone to for this as I can tell that it will be very well wearing and it looks good.

I will have to do some comparison with my Monica II dac but I can tell right now she may have a tough run of it.

Jan 24, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #161 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the configuration that I am running, the D10 does not in any way give ground to my iQube! Although perhaps this is a trite expression, I do feel the D10 to be more musical, and believe that I can listen to it for longer periods of time without the feeling that I am listening to an amp.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that the D10 sounds absolutely stunning when feeding it from the optical output of my iRiver!

Wow, this is a definite buy for me
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #163 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhat_thanh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HiFlight for now even without fully burn-in yet, how much the D10 better than D3 (dac/amp combination)?
It seems like D10 is a bit warmer than D3 from your current configuration
smile.gif

Yes, I would say that the D10 is a bit warmer, with a more intimate soundstage. I have only spent time with the AD8656/bypass configuration, as I changed to it right after receiving the amp. I will later try all configurations as well as the AD8616, which should give quite long battery life.

But for now, I really like the sound of this configuration. My least favorite is the IE8.. perhaps it is an impedance difference caused by bypassing the buffers, but my Images sound better between the 2 IEMS. The Sony F1 is outstanding!

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #164 of 4,153
New kid on the block, and he seems like a nice gentleman who plays nicely with the other kids. This is good news.

How is the build quality? Is it up there with the Pico and Predator, or a slight step down?

Also, interested in seeing what burn-in brings to the table.

Thanks for your impressions guys.

My 2 H-120's eagerly await your assessments.

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #165 of 4,153
Well Ron has had his open. Now I will have to go and open mine. On the outside, the quality is as good as anything else in the top amps.

What a sound. . . . And what a pair with the H140 and my 120gb hard drive I installed. Now that is some tunes on the move. I have two 140's with the 120gb drive now and it is sweeet.

Ok, good shiny solder joints, very good quality chips, well the whole thing has good quality components. Looks top notch to me and I have built a lot of stuff but only a few things this small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back