iBasso D-Zero or Fiio E11 with a seperate DAC?
Jul 31, 2013 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

IcarusW

New Head-Fier
Hello Headfiers, this is my first post 
smile.gif

I know this is about Amps and DACs, but I was told to post here first.
I've been reading lots of threads in Head-Fi and I finally decided it was time to join.

I started my audio equipment obsession with the Soundmagic HP-100's a few weeks ago.
But I found out that the DAC in my Galaxy S3 isn't the best (my primary source, North America), and that my HP's respond well to amping.
So, I researched and researched and came to theses choices:

• Get iBasso D-Zero Amp/DAC and be done with it
  • Get the HifimeDIY Sabre Tiny DAC and pair it with Fiio E11

The first option will cost me around $140 with shipping, and the second will cost $90~100.
(the prices include the needed cables, extended battery, etc)
I am pretty tight on budget, as I am a student. (Max $140, want to conserve as much as possible)

I am leaning towards the Fiio, but I want your opinions considering Performance and Best bang for buck.
Or, if you have better recommendations around the budget, it would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you all in advance!

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 23
I have the hp100 also and a galaxy s4. I've never used a separate dac because I was told the one in here was decent. I just sold my schiit magni. (which sounded great with the hp100) and am looking at an e17 or e12 next. Depends on how much improvement I think a dac will give me.
If I were you I would look into e17,supposedly works with galaxy's. There is also a fiio e18 coming out soon supposedly made specifically for android. Other than that, I guess I need the same thing you do :)

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 23
I have read that E17's do not work properly as DACs with Android USB audio out. For example, http://www.head-fi.org/t/633201/confirmed-list-of-usb-dacs-for-the-galaxy-s3-international-us-or-note-2#post_9523095

The big thing to be aware of is that not all USB DACs work with all Android devices. There appears to be confirmation that the iBasso D-Zero does, but I don't see the HifimeDIY on this list: http://www.head-fi.org/t/633201/confirmed-list-of-usb-dacs-for-the-galaxy-s3-international-us-or-note-2. Be sure to confirm that someone has used it successfully if you go with the HifimeDIY.

Aug 18, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 23
I read the opposite. The big android dac thread has the e17 working with the galaxy devices. Maybe not others.

I've tried it with my Note 2, which apparently USB audio devices compatible with it are compatible with the S3. Doesn't work with standard Android media players on the Note 2. See XDA's explanation, which I'm pretty sure is echoed in the Head-FI Android/DAC thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=35472298#post35472298. Could be that they have found some work around. I haven't read up on this in six months.

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #10 of 23
I just took a look. Might be the S4 you are thinking of. This list of compatible devices from three weeks ago has a note at the end about the S3 and S4: "The Galaxy S4 can work with the FiiO E17; the Galaxy S3 can’t without using USB Audio Recorder PRO."

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #12 of 23
I thought it was android 4.11 that gives the OTG USB capabilities and not whether it is GS3 or GS4. Anyway I'm planning to get either the E07K or the E17 soon. Most likely the E07K. I have to say the S3/S4 audio is not all that good.

Aug 19, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:
I never thought it was too bad, most people seem to think so. I've never owned a separate dac but maybe I should look into one....

That's the odd thing. everyone here says the S3/S4 has good SQ but my basic laptop (HP 4410s) gives better SQ no matter what software I'm running on the S3. Currently I'm using Poweramp with noozxoide. There is a better way to improve sound of the S3/S4 by changing the ROM with Acid support. I've yet to do this. Anyway I have yet to meet anyone who says that their laptop gives better SQ than the S3/S4.

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:
That's the odd thing. everyone here says the S3/S4 has good SQ but my basic laptop (HP 4410s) gives better SQ no matter what software I'm running on the S3. Currently I'm using Poweramp with noozxoide. There is a better way to improve sound of the S3/S4 by changing the ROM with Acid support. I've yet to do this. Anyway I have yet to meet anyone who says that their laptop gives better SQ than the S3/S4.

That is wierd. I've heard pretty mixed opinions on it as well. When I decide what amp/DAC I'm going to go for next ill snag it off amazon and report back here, or somewhere. If it doesnt offer much of an improvement I'll just send it back
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back