iBasso Boomslang DB-1 & DB-2 and Toucan balanced portable dac and amp . pg 1, 19 , 25, 26 . . . .
Sep 1, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #316 of 612

Quote:
As Jamato noted, Apple drives are a PITA...and should be avoided.  I believe you would also need the Korean "libmart" adapter to convert the ZIF to an IDE interface.  Those can be found on the Mistic forum for around $35.

Wow, they are 35 now? I got mine for around 18 but then there isn't anything else on the market that works as well and once bought, it can be used over and over. 

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #317 of 612
i did a short a/b listening session with the HDP vs the ibasso combo.  both using the USB to single ended t50p.
HDP bought used. seems like low hours.
ibasso mine. low hours.

ibasso pros:
better bass impact
more dynamic, fun sounding
brighter
full sound
better clarity
option for balanced

ibasso cons:
two separate units
cant be considered neutral vs the HDP
slightly inferior build quality

it really depends on the headphones and the person's personal sound signature preference.  the ibasso fits my signature better. i dont havve any other headphoen at the moment besides the T1 and i dont have a single ended adapter yet. its in the mail. 

HDP: build quality feels absolutely awesome.  decent weight to it, looks great, and works well.  the sound is more neutral. bass is good but less impact than the ibasso. overall the sound sounds balanced. 

overall, i dont feel the HDP performs as an amp above its price point as others may think.  not that i have a ton of experience or anything but i think it was just decent. for 449$ new its a nice 2 in 1 option but its not the signature i want.  but if i was on a budget and couldnt afford the ibasso combo, this would probably be the unit i would go for. *disclaimer: i havent tried many of the dac/amp combos like the pico, d10, etc.

if i could keep one, id keep the ibasso hands down.  im building my full sized system so i have to consider selling the ibasso combo even tho i dont want to.

these are my humble opinions.

Sep 2, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #318 of 612
I think you need more time on the iBasso rig. It smooth out and IMO, the sound changes some. Whether it is neutral to your ear at that point is up to you but I do find the highs become more refined and the sound, in general opens up. 

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #319 of 612

Quote:
I think you need more time on the iBasso rig. It smooth out and IMO, the sound changes some. Whether it is neutral to your ear at that point is up to you but I do find the highs become more refined and the sound, in general opens up. 

I didnt mean it was too bright. i love the sound. i just meant to me, i think its a lil brighter than neutral and that i think the HDP is a little more neutral.... or maybe the HDP is a little dark? 

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #320 of 612

Quote:
I didnt mean it was too bright. i love the sound. i just meant to me, i think its a lil brighter than neutral and that i think the HDP is a little more neutral.... or maybe the HDP is a little dark? 

I wasn't reflecting on what you said about being bright, I just have noticed that there is a smoothing out of the highs and and a gradual opening of the sound. Please continue with any impressions you have. The comparisons are interesting. 

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #323 of 612

Quote:
i did a short a/b listening session with the HDP vs the ibasso combo.  both using the USB to single ended t50p.
ibasso mine. low hours.

ibasso pros:
better bass impact
brighter
full sound
better clarity
option for balanced

ibasso cons:
two separate units

overall, i dont feel the HDP performs as an amp above its price point as others may think.  not that i have a ton of experience or anything but i think it was just decent. for 449$ new its a nice 2 in 1 option but its not the signature i want.  but if i was on a budget and couldnt afford the ibasso combo, this would probably be the unit i would go for. *disclaimer: i havent tried many of the dac/amp combos like the pico, d10, etc.

if i could keep one, id keep the ibasso hands down.  im building my full sized system so i have to consider selling the ibasso combo even tho i dont want to.

Thanks so much for sharing - your opinions are very valuable!  I'm quite surprised to hear it beat the HDP.  I've never heard the HDP, but I assumed that a desktop unit's power supply would make any comparison moot.  BTW - you don't have to try the Pico or D10.  I've already heard a maxxed-out d4, which is better than either the Pico or the D10, and it wasn't as good as the Audio-Gd Sparrow.  But if you decide to sell the Toucan/Boomslang, let me know - I'd like to try it against my Sparrow to see how it stacks up!  You are or are not running it balanced to the T50s?

Sep 3, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #324 of 612

Quote:
ibasso mine. low hours.

ibasso pros:
better bass impact
brighter
full sound
better clarity
option for balanced

ibasso cons:
two separate units

it really depends on the headphones and the person's personal sound signature preference.  the ibasso fits my signature better. i dont havve any other headphoen at the moment besides the T1 and i dont have a single ended adapter yet. its in the mail. 

HDP: build quality feels absolutely awesome.  decent weight to it, looks great, and works well.  the sound is more neutral. bass is good but less impact than the ibasso. overall the sound sounds balanced. 

Wait so this is toucan SE vs HDP SE?

That is... interesting.  Again only with the 1 headphone though...

Sep 3, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #325 of 612

Quote:

Wait so this is toucan SE vs HDP SE?

That is... interesting.  Again only with the 1 headphone though...

toucan boomslang combo SE'd
again yea the only other headphone i had was the balanced T1 and that wouldnt be fair.
i think the ibasso combo gets less credit because its two small units that are 200$. size wise its almost as big as the HDP if put side by side and all in all is more expensive than the HDP when all is said and done (interconnect + 2 units + shippping)
but yea, these are just my thoughts.

Sep 3, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #326 of 612
Fair enough, I just wasn't expecting it to win with single ended output.  I've read the amp is good in the HDP but the dac is just okay, have you tried comparing just the amp parts using the SE inputs of each?  You don't have to do anything to accommodate me though.

Sep 3, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #327 of 612

Quote:
Fair enough, I just wasn't expecting it to win with single ended output.  I've read the amp is good in the HDP but the dac is just okay, have you tried comparing just the amp parts using the SE inputs of each?  You don't have to do anything to accommodate me though.

its all packaged up to be sold but i might try taking it out again. also keep in mind, i have no idea how many or how little hours are on the unit.  so if burn in is really as important as some ppl say, the sound could change i suppose.

Sep 3, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #328 of 612
Yeah, no worries... just if you are curious yourself maybe.  The only difference in price is the shipping and interconnect though no? ( && recabling your headphones, but I've become OCD and do that regardless.)  Not a massive difference in price though.

Sep 3, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #329 of 612

Quote:
Yeah, no worries... just if you are curious yourself maybe.  The only difference in price is the shipping and interconnect though no? ( && recabling your headphones, but I've become OCD and do that regardless.)  Not a massive difference in price though.

not at all, but i think ppl view the HDP as overall a better unit than the ibasso combo can be.  i just want ppl to realize that theyre pretty much even in many aspects and even though the HDP might have better reviews, i think the ibasso does a better job (for my music tastes and headphone) i may open it up again and check it out... if it doesnt sell.

Sep 3, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #330 of 612
Thanks guys (jamato8, wolfen68, and nsx_33). Once I receive the iRiver I will start looking for a larger HD and possibly rockboxing it.

The Boomslang and Toucan have about 165 hours of burn-in and have settled down to a very well define presentation. Bass is tight, impactful, deep, and very well define. The highs are crystal clear and the soundstage is very believable (life like). These comments are with SE cans like the UE TripleFi 10, Westone 10, HiFiMAN RE-252, and ATH-ESW9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back