iBasso Boomslang DB-1 & DB-2 and Toucan balanced portable dac and amp . pg 1, 19 , 25, 26 . . . .
Aug 31, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #301 of 612

Quote:
Anybody tried the Toucan with the HD600? I'm guessing from the picture on Ibasso's site, that it could drive those pretty well. Any impressions?

I don't have the 600's but I have the HD650's balanced and it drives them with ease. The sound is full, detailed and open. On loud passages demanding both bass quality and dimension the amp holds up beautifully. I haven't enjoyed the 650's a great deal but with them balanced, they really come to life. 

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #302 of 612
I guess you enjoy this balanced amp in a balanced setup more than the maxxed fi.Q in a SE setup?

Quote:

I don't have the 600's but I have the HD650's balanced and it drives them with ease. The sound is full, detailed and open. On loud passages demanding both bass quality and dimension the amp holds up beautifully. I haven't enjoyed the 650's a great deal but with them balanced, they really come to life. 

Sep 1, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #303 of 612
The fi.Q is very special and in the maxxed version I have with Black Gates, the sound is also very special. I haven't listened to it for a while so will have to break it out. I have it here with me in Micronesia, that is how much I think of it. The balanced amp/dac though is excellent and has more power than needed, which means there is plenty of headroom. 

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #304 of 612

Quote:
There are three boxes. The source to the dac and then the amp. To me, it is pretty compact, especially considering what you hear and what is involved. For me it is easy to take around. I will post some images of my setup with the compact and tank like optical connector. 

The post immediately before my last was most certainly talking about 4 boxes.  Even with 3 I wouldn't feel comfortable with the h120 or h140, a db1, a pb1, my phone, wallet and keys in my pockets.  That is just never going to happen.  Maybe if I had some kind of carrying case or backpack or something...  at that point I'd maybe rather just use a laptop.

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #305 of 612

Nice pics. I'm still waiting for my TWag IEM replacement cable and IC (didn't order the iBasso IC) and the dual-XLR to 6-pin balanced TWag adapter from Craig. I'll post a review when they arrive.

Thanks to iBasso I have in my possession both the Boomslang DAC and the Toucan Amp as well as their interconnect. I have been feeding the combo music from a cheap DVD Player by Philips for about 20 hours and I honestly have not heard any harshness as reported by other users. I need to convert a few of my headphones to the iBasso balanced plug and will be doing so over the next month or so (HELP ME RON!), meanwhile I am using an Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 and with only 20 hours of burn-in the sound is very good. More to come but for now I leave you with some pictures.

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #306 of 612
Can anyone here do a comparison of the Toucan vs. the Little Dot MKIII?  I'm considering the either to drive some HD650's.

Sep 1, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #307 of 612

Quote:
In general, you are going to have to pay more than 150 for a H140. It is worth it and you are missing out on a lot, IMO, by not having one. You may be able to pick up an H120 for 150 or so. With that one you can get a 80gb HD. It comes with a 20gb drive. 

I believe I have struck a deal for an H120. Would the 80GB HD I took out of an iPod 5.5 Gen work with the H120? Thanks.

Sep 1, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #308 of 612

Quote:
Anybody tried the Toucan with the HD600? I'm guessing from the picture on Ibasso's site, that it could drive those pretty well. Any impressions?

I have an Senn HD580 and although not balanced the Toucan drives it very effectively. I should mention I listen at low volumes (64-68dB) and I had the volume on the Toucan between 9:30 o'clock and 10:30 o'clock depending on the song being played. The gain on the Toucan is set at low (+6 dB) and the source was a Philips DVD Player via coaxial player to the Boomslang DAC. Hope this information helps.

Sep 1, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #310 of 612
I have about 75 hours or so on the balanced dac now. At first it sounded excellent and then closed in after a few hours. It has now opened up again and has the clarity and openness that I earlier noted. There are a few electrolytics to be formed so I will be curious if others hear this or it is all good right from the start for them. 

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #312 of 612

Quote:
Don't think so since the iPod HDs dont' have the same connection as the H120 HDs.

Even the ones that do won't work do to different coding. Apple makes the HD's "theirs". 

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #313 of 612

Quote:

i'm using the toucan with a pair of balanced hd600 cans. the toucan has more than enough juice for the hd600. the volume knob is only at 9 pm to 9:30 pm for a comfortable volume for me. i don't detect any distortion whatsoever. the details and imaging are the best that i've heard out of the hd600 thus far. the improvement in the treble in particular stands out. previously i ran the hd600 out of the ibasso d2+ boa and the sound through the boa was a little underpowered, though still quite enjoyable. the toucan seems to have really opened up the hd600.

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #314 of 612
has anyone tried the toucan with the akg k702? those are notoriously difficult to drive. i'm very curious as to how well the toucan does with the k702. i've heard that the k702's huge soundstage depends on adequate amping and would like to know in particular how the soundstage fares. thanks.

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #315 of 612

Quote:
I believe I have struck a deal for an H120. Would the 80GB HD I took out of an iPod 5.5 Gen work with the H120? Thanks.

As Jamato noted, Apple drives are a PITA...and should be avoided.  I believe you would also need the Korean "libmart" adapter to convert the ZIF to an IDE interface.  Those can be found on the Mistic forum for around $35.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back