IBasso Audio IT03
Oct 1, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #496 of 3,344
Good write up gyx11. You noted a few points I was waiting to see come up.

-----------
I just realized looking through the tips that I hadn't tried the short large bore tips yet. They seem a good fit for me so far.

I also organized a selection of different brands of tips to take with me on the go.
Just need a better case for them.

Oct 1, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #497 of 3,344
Good write up gyx11. You noted a few points I was waiting to see come up.

-----------
I just realized looking through the tips that I hadn't tried the short large bore tips yet. They seem a good fit for me so far.

I also organized a selection of different brands of tips to take with me on the go.
Just need a better case for them.

I'd be interested to know your impressions on the IT03 as well.

Oct 1, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #499 of 3,344
Good write up gyx11. You noted a few points I was waiting to see .

I'd be interested to know your impressions on the IT03 as well.

In time, yes.

As I got sent a review unit by iBasso I am waiting until I reach the recommended 150 hours before I start the second stage of listening to them, and my eventual review.

I have noticed my impressions of the IT03 changing over time, and also when paired with different tips and sources.

Hopefully soon my thoughts will even out into something consistent and coherent.

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #500 of 3,344
You guys having a hard time keeping the supplied tips on the iem? Only the large bore tips fit me, and my beloved spiral dots won't stay on the iem. However, sometimes the supplied tips come off in my ear. The diameter of the nozzle is smaller than typical I guess.

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #501 of 3,344
You guys having a hard time keeping the supplied tips on the iem? Only the large bore tips fit me, and my beloved spiral dots won't stay on the iem. However, sometimes the supplied tips come off in my ear. The diameter of the nozzle is smaller than typical I guess.

i would like to recommend spinfit to u for fit

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #503 of 3,344

i would like to recommend spinfit to u for fit

Those little spinfits don't fit:)

Sorry to hear that - all the many different tips I tried including the included and spintips fit tightly and definately would not come out in the ear when taking out the earphones out :/

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #504 of 3,344
I've given the IT03 a thorough audition. Whilst they are undeniably good IEMs, in particular in the lower frequencies, I do not feel that they reach the standards of my personal reference benchmarks such as the CFA Andromedas, 64 Audio U12s. I also prefer the Perfect Seal AR6, Noble K10s and a slew of other mid-priced IEMs over the IT03.

My main gripe with these is a lack of tonal balance and coherency. The IT03 has a great wow factor because it is forward sounding, surgically dissects the music and presents it straight in front of the listener. It is however slightly lacking in other technicalities such as staging and imaging. In other words, I find it lacking in subtlety and refinement.

Build quality was pretty good, whereas fit and comfort for me personally was less than ideal.

For its retail price, I think the IT03 offers great sonics and overall good value. I would give it a solid, albeit conditional recommendation.

Thanks for the short review. Like someone said earlier, I appreciate you pointing out the it03's weaknesses. Someone mentioned earlier that coherency improved after a ling burn in. Was the unit you reviewed well burnt in?

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #507 of 3,344
These match up nicely with my Fiio x7/am3. The AR m20 is too bright for my tastes, the x7 is much more neutral. Not sure if I would like them on a warmer source.

Subbass on these is remarkable. I wonder how long it will take for the Basshead guys to discover this..... more subbass than the 64 audio u8 I had.

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #508 of 3,344
I've given the IT03 a thorough audition. Whilst they are undeniably good IEMs, in particular in the lower frequencies, I do not feel that they reach the standards of my personal reference benchmarks such as the CFA Andromedas, 64 Audio U12s. I also prefer the Perfect Seal AR6, Noble K10s and a slew of other mid-priced IEMs over the IT03.

My main gripe with these is a lack of tonal balance and coherency. The IT03 has a great wow factor because it is forward sounding, surgically dissects the music and presents it straight in front of the listener. It is however slightly lacking in other technicalities such as staging and imaging. In other words, I find it lacking in subtlety and refinement.

Build quality was pretty good, whereas fit and comfort for me personally was less than ideal.

For its retail price, I think the IT03 offers great sonics and overall good value. I would give it a solid, albeit conditional recommendation.

Yeah I felt the same way.. still a very good buy for the price though

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #509 of 3,344
Thanks man. Deciding between this, the P1 and dn2002. Have you heard any of these other two iems? I'm also supposed to be getting the phantom master 4 in a month or so if there aren't any more delays.

I'm awaiting a pair of IT03, myself and have heard DN2KJ and P1. DN2KJ are definitely not my cup of tea. P1 are much more evenly balanced, whereas DN2KJ had good bass but were too bright / piercing to my ears. I get the feeling that the IT03 are going to lean more towards the DN2KJ side but with a fuller sound and less piercing treble. In fact, I get the feeling IT03 might sound reminiscent of one of my favorite FLC8S tunings. Of course, this last part is merely speculation until I get (and burn in a pair) of IT03.

The main reason I posted was to say how different the two other IEM you're deciding between are. It's hard to help out or give recommendations when you don't provide your listening preferences - what sound signature you're after, what music you listen to, source, etc. Let us know that, and we'll be better able to help you out!

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #510 of 3,344

It could be the tips used or any number of factors but the area that you site that you do not like is an area I find to be exceptionally well done by the IT03.

I find that the IT03 image and throw a stage that much better than many different types of monitors I have listened to. I can mentally "see" where the instrument is in the musical field in a precise and believable manner and have a sense of placement back in this field that is well and naturally layered. Tonal balance is also done well, IMO. The harmonics and overtones are portrayed in a way as to make for me, an enjoyable complete musical experience and to do this at any price is worth the ticket of admission.

My reference that I now use is the Focal Utopia. No, these are not the Utopia but for a UIEM, regardless of price, they show a refinement and musical presentation that does not leave me running back to the Utopia and for true portable musical enjoyment, which the Utopia are not suited for, I find the IT03 do an exemplary job. As usual, YMMV and that is the fun of this hobby, we make choices based on our own ears. 

For me, the comfort is as good as my custom IEM's and easier to use (faster and my ears feel less confined). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back