IBasso Audio IT03
May 12, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #3,226 of 3,344
Another worthy contender is the Symbio Madarines. They take what Sony is doing with the foam filling to the next level with memory foam filling. The seal and isolation from them is spectacular.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SYMBIO-W-Wide-Bore-Silicone-Memory-Foam-Special-Hybrid-Universal-Ear-Tips/

So far I like these quite a lot. I ordered some M and L for the IT03. I went back and ordered some S as well. I think the M are the right fit but I want to try the S just in case.

May 12, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #3,227 of 3,344
So far I like these quite a lot. I ordered some M and L for the IT03. I went back and ordered some S as well. I think the M are the right fit but I want to try the S just in case.

My fav's are still the spiral dots on the it03 I got some Sony hybrids coming in next week to test out. Might give the Symbio a go. How do they affect the sound?

Still need to find some ideal tips for the t8ie as the spiral dots are too large for the iem so they don't seal well in the ear.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #3,228 of 3,344
My fav's are still the spiral dots on the it03 I got some Sony hybrids coming in next week to test out. Might give the Symbio are go. How do they affect the sound?

Still need to find some ideal tips for the t8ie as the spiral dots are too large for the iem so they don't seal well in the ear.

The jury is still out here. I get a very good seal with the mediums but I'm wondering if they're not a bit too big. I noticed I'd pushed one further on than the other so there are options in terms of how deep the insertion. I do like them and I like the sound but I'm going to try and smalls next. Until I try them I'm hesitant to say. I'm using the medium Symbio right now and listening to Porcupine Tree's Anesthetize from the BluRay and it sounds great. There are a lot of places in that recording where things can sound muddy or congested and I'm not finding that at all with these. (DX200>AMP4S>CB12S>IT03)

May 12, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #3,229 of 3,344
The jury is still out here. I get a very good seal with the mediums but I'm wondering if they're not a bit too big. I noticed I'd pushed one further on than the other so there are options in terms of how deep the insertion. I do like them and I like the sound but I'm going to try and smalls next. Until I try them I'm hesitant to say. I'm using the medium Symbio right now and listening to Porcupine Tree's Anesthetize from the BluRay and it sounds great. There are a lot of places in that recording where things can sound muddy or congested and I'm not finding that at all with these. (DX200>AMP4S>CB12S>IT03)

Interesting thanks for the reply.

Also what's the cb12s? Is that a updated cb12 cable from ibasso?

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #3,230 of 3,344
Also what's the cb12s? Is that a updated cb12 cable from ibasso?

Yep, it's an upgrade over the CB12. The copper and silver is slightly different from the original CB12, as are the connectors. It will also come with 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm singled ended TRS adapter. I haven't actually compared it to the original CB12 in terms of sound quality but I do prefer the feel and form of the updated version, including the updated connectors.

I understand it will be $99 once it's released and I think it's a steal at that price. Maybe it's iBasso's way of getting folks into balanced.

Forgive the quality of the pictures. Just quick shots with my phone.

IMG_20180425_222213-01.jpeg
IMG_20180425_222241-01.jpeg

May 13, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #3,231 of 3,344
Yep, it's an upgrade over the CB12. The copper and silver is slightly different from the original CB12, as are the connectors. It will also come with 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm singled ended TRS adapter. I haven't actually compared it to the original CB12 in terms of sound quality but I do prefer the feel and form of the updated version, including the updated connectors.

I understand it will be $99 once it's released and I think it's a steal at that price. Maybe it's iBasso's way of getting folks into balanced.

Forgive the quality of the pictures. Just quick shots with my phone.

Nice inclusion with the adapter. Wonder if ibasso will do a similar bundle with a cb13s.

Question is the cable soft and pliable or stiff? Memory wire or no?

Also perhaps a cable e.g cb14 will be created with a 4.4 termination so we dont have to rely on adapters :wink: @Paul - iBasso

May 13, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #3,233 of 3,344
Question is the cable soft and pliable or stiff? Memory wire or no?

Soft and pliable, similar to the CB12. And no memory wire. It's really a fantastic cable.

And yes the inclusion of the adapter is a very nice touch.

May 13, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #3,234 of 3,344
Can someone comment on the IT03 vs. IT01?

I have the IT01 and I love the bass, sound signature and speed of these IEMs. They're very comfortable too and have great isolation. Is the IT03 similar but better?

May 13, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #3,235 of 3,344
Can someone comment on the IT03 vs. IT01?

I have the IT01 and I love the bass, sound signature and speed of these IEMs. They're very comfortable too and have great isolation. Is the IT03 similar but better?

I think this question was covered a few times try using the search thread function :)

In other news my it03 has been returned after being fixed. It took some time but thanks to Paul for his help it was a relatively painless process.

May 29, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #3,236 of 3,344
Would it be possible for my IT03 to get an "ear test" or something? It's been a while since I've posted in the thread but I seriously cannot shake the feeling that something is wildly wrong on mine. Like, they make bass notes but the bass is so far recessed now it's wild.

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #3,238 of 3,344
I would encourage you to not give up on IT03 quite yet. If you look at two posts I link here:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/ibasso-audio-it03.807881/page-162#post-13437849

you'll see why I say that. The IT03 has very good bass, but it really is tip-dependent.

As you could see from my earliest post, I was initially VERY disappointed with the IT03. But eventually, I found Crystal Tips from Crystalline Audio (Brit company) and suddenly I loved them. Well actually, when I used the largest included silicone tips I started hearing some bass, which made me willing to work a little harder on the relationship. But the Crystal Tips got me in love with them.

Now I'm using Comply 500 Isolation tips, but mostly because of logistics and cost. Plus I foolishly bought large instead of medium from Crystalline.

To my ears, the IT03s has more sub-bass than every other IEM I've tried, and that goes completely missing without a really good fit. Also to my ears, it seems like the 'bass head' IEMs I've heard raise the mid-bass, and I don't hear that from the IT03.

My goto bass evaluation track is 'Jimi's Born Under a Bad Sign' from 'Blues'. The first 8 or so bars is a solo plucked electric bass riff. I both want to feel the notes and also heard the vibration of the strings. Beginning of 'The Chain' by Fleetwood Mac is very good as well. There's what I think are Tom Toms. I pay attention to how natural the beats sound. Also, Entwhistle's bass lines from 'My Generation' for pure joy.

So I think I first heard 'missing' sub-bass and non-lifted mid-bass, which sounded like no bass. But I'm so glad I persevered as these are now the only IEM I listen to every day, and are battling to a draw with my M1060s (my first planar -- both competent and novel).

I did see that you listed them for sale, so maybe I'm too late to save your relationship :)

Hi, managed to pick up a preloved IT03 in excellent condition. The stock tips kept getting stuck in my ears when taking out the ibasso. Had some Comply 500 tips but they were not really comfortable; great bass but I could feel them pushing outwards in my ears. Bought some Crystal tips on your recommendation. Oh my! Really comfortable and am a happy chappy with the SQ. Many thanks.

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #3,239 of 3,344
Hi, managed to pick up a preloved IT03 in excellent condition. The stock tips kept getting stuck in my ears when taking out the ibasso. Had some Comply 500 tips but they were not really comfortable; great bass but I could feel them pushing outwards in my ears. Bought some Crystal tips on your recommendation. Oh my! Really comfortable and am a happy chappy with the SQ. Many thanks.
Yay! I really think the IT03s are a great listen with the right tips.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back