IBasso Audio IT03
Jan 18, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #3,062 of 3,344
It's lacking the mid bass impact and speed I want. Seal is good.

Sorry, burn-in probably won't help. But I would try some tip rolling. It's both the good seal and the deep insertion which (massively) affect the bass on these IEMs. If you scroll back through the 1000+ posts on this thread (jk :ksc75smile:), you'll see some who, like me, found more bass by working to get them set up right for their ears. Others were happy right out of the box. Still others couldn't find it, either because they never got the tip right, or because the large body of the IT03s seem to prevent them from getting proper fit/seal/insertion. Honestly, I never got any of the stock tips to get me the sound I was looking for, although I was able to find enough improvement with one set of the stock tips that I went off to find the perfect (for me) third party tips. It took Crystal Tips and Complys before I could really hear the sound/bass quality I expected from these.

BTW, unlike @SomeGuyDude, I'm not a 'burn-in' unbeliever. More of an agnostic. I typically listen to a new item for a few minutes to confirm there's no malfunction. Then I set them off in the corner to burn-in for a few days. After that I listen to what I've got, knowing the SQ may or may not have changed during the burn-in. I really don't really care one way or the other.

Seems like the only way to really confirm or disprove burn-in effects is to buy 2 of everything, burn one in, and then A/B compare the two. Hmmm two each of: Utopia, HEKv2, Ether Flow, HE-560, T1g2, IT03, Oppo Sonica DAC, Violectric v280, Cowon Plenue 2, Opus#2, along with all the associated cables. I really can't afford one of each of those, let alone 2. Good thing I got most of those items used :gs1000smile:

GLTY!

Jan 18, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #3,066 of 3,344
The.. bass sounds... veiled? What does that even mean??

I think he's trying to convey the opposite of dynamic -- from thesaurus.com, that would be:

lethargic
lifeless
weak
boring
passive
dull

Jan 18, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #3,067 of 3,344
Sorry, burn-in probably won't help. But I would try some tip rolling. It's both the good seal and the deep insertion which (massively) affect the bass on these IEMs. If you scroll back through the 1000+ posts on this thread (jk :ksc75smile:), you'll see some who, like me, found more bass by working to get them set up right for their ears. Others were happy right out of the box. Still others couldn't find it, either because they never got the tip right, or because the large body of the IT03s seem to prevent them from getting proper fit/seal/insertion. Honestly, I never got any of the stock tips to get me the sound I was looking for, although I was able to find enough improvement with one set of the stock tips that I went off to find the perfect (for me) third party tips. It took Crystal Tips and Complys before I could really hear the sound/bass quality I expected from these.

BTW, unlike @SomeGuyDude, I'm not a 'burn-in' unbeliever. More of an agnostic. I typically listen to a new item for a few minutes to confirm there's no malfunction. Then I set them off in the corner to burn-in for a few days. After that I listen to what I've got, knowing the SQ may or may not have changed during the burn-in. I really don't really care one way or the other.

Seems like the only way to really confirm or disprove burn-in effects is to buy 2 of everything, burn one in, and then A/B compare the two. Hmmm two each of: Utopia, HEKv2, Ether Flow, HE-560, T1g2, IT03, Oppo Sonica DAC, Violectric v280, Cowon Plenue 2, Opus#2, along with all the associated cables. I really can't afford one of each of those, let alone 2. Good thing I got most of those items used :gs1000smile:

GLTY!
The bass is there, just not at quality I like. I did roll tips, and didn't have a problem with seal. I just wanted faster impact, more suddenness to the initial attack note of the bass and mid bass. Everything else about them seemed nice.

Jan 18, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #3,068 of 3,344
I think he's trying to convey the opposite of dynamic -- from thesaurus.com, that would be:

lethargic
lifeless
weak
boring
passive
dull

I'm saying that doesn't make any sense. Especially since there's quite a lot of it here. "Veiled" treble would refer to treble that's sanded off so it's less present. There's a "veil" over it covering details. That's not really something that can happen with the bass.

I really feel like at this point everyone just has a set of vague adjectives that mean nothing except convey an indistinct sense of like/dislike. "Well the vocals don't sound creamy enough" "yeah but the treble is so glittery."

Jan 18, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #3,069 of 3,344
I'm saying that doesn't make any sense. Especially since there's quite a lot of it here. "Veiled" treble would refer to treble that's sanded off so it's less present. There's a "veil" over it covering details. That's not really something that can happen with the bass.

I really feel like at this point everyone just has a set of vague adjectives that mean nothing except convey an indistinct sense of like/dislike. "Well the vocals don't sound creamy enough" "yeah but the treble is so glittery."
Perhaps you have found adjectives that work for you. I posted the ones that work for me.

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #3,070 of 3,344
Protip: If your words aren't conveying an idea to other people, find new words. But okay. You do you, boo.

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #3,073 of 3,344
Look, don't get all huffy with me because you're using nonsense words instead of accurately describing anything. I'm sorry the bass isn't crumbly enough for you, maybe the Fidue has extra tiddliness in its jimjams and that's what you like.

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #3,074 of 3,344
Could anyone please compare the IT03 to the B&O H3s, or the ER4XR? Those are the only two in ears I have real experience with.

I feel like the H3s have too much bass bleed and not great detail up top. But the amount of bass is nice (though more subbass would be welcome). The ER4XR to me just don't have enough bass for me. But the highs are great (however, their neutral signature is a bit unexciting to me compared to the H3s).

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #3,075 of 3,344
Truly a shock that a $259 pair of IEM's come with such bad tips that slip right off the nozzles, and such an extremely low quality cable (in physical & longevity terms). There's electrical tape holding the Y together and this cheap little piece above it that seems like it would break with any movement. Absolutely disappointing and frankly embarrassing. I've had $27 chi-fi come with better tips and cables.

Bass on the IT03's is fairly neutral, but it's not this "loud fast crisp" bass -- it's just...neutral and balanced, so I see why someone may think it's not really there. It was different than I had expected. Soundstage is less than impressive and narrow.

Fit is just ok but YMMV. Being a female I might have smaller ears or something. I can't find any tips that fit well over time and can endure me walking around.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back