I would like to know what kinda headset's you MLG player's use combined with the astro mixamp
Jul 8, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #16 of 62
You use the LCD2 for gaming? I've tried it with like 5 games (amped) and the soundstage just doesn't work for gaming. Same with the HE500. I think only dynamics work properly for gaming.

^Was the soundstage too big, too small..? Very curious to know more. I'm looking at the HE-500 right now, but will reconsider if they don't do it for gaming.

Jul 8, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #18 of 62

Quote:
^Was the soundstage too big, too small..? Very curious to know more. I'm looking at the HE-500 right now, but will reconsider if they don't do it for gaming.

Ortho soundstage kinda works differently. The LCD2's is small in comparison to something like the HD800 or T1, but it has a way of scaling to the recording rather than always being huge. While that's good for music, that "scaling" does nothing for compressed game audio but provide a convoluted and somewhat small 'stage. HE500 sounds alright with gaming actually, but not good enough to deal with its comfort issues (for music it is worth it) when the dynamic flagships are around for gaming. Basically the HE500 sounds like a very slightly superior T1 with music, but for gaming via mixamp or mixamp+E9 it's a lot worse and much less comfy. My favorite gaming cans w/ DH are the T1, HD800, and D7000, with the T1 winning overall.

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #20 of 62
Hmm. I may reconsider then. Thanks a lot.

To the OP: The PC360 will be great. Just make sure you get a two 3.5mm female to one male 3.5mm adapter, such as this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5mm-1-8-Male-2-Dual-Female-Y-Splitter-Audio-Cable-/130541760231?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e64e52ee7

Using that adapter you WILL be able to adjust the game/voice volume mix.

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #24 of 62
It's a Labtec LVA-7330. It was very easy to cut off the useless bits and then tape it onto a molded piece of hanger wire. For other headphones it might make sense to use some velcro instead. It's a great mic though.

Jul 9, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #25 of 62
Some headphones can utilize the feature with the mix amp and some can't. the AD700 cannot. At an event the mixamp is hooked up differently to where you can only change the voice/game volume with a very select few headphones. A setup at an MLG event and a set up at your house is very different. To make myself more clear they use equipment hooked up to the mixamp that is made by astro and only for use at the event. The technology is different.

Quote:
I guess I don't know what you're talking about. I'm clearly not using the A40 and I can set voice volume to any level I want. I can have 100% game volume 0% voice volume, 100% voice volume 0% game volume, or absolutely any mix of the two that I want, utilizing the voice/game volume knob. My headphones/mic go into a 3.5mm male to two 3.5mm female splitter that I picked up from Turtle Beach (it came with the HPX I bought at the time). If I were plugging only the headphones into the mixamp, then yes... There might not be any volume mixer (haven't tried it). As it is, using the 3.5mm splitter (which is dirt cheap online) I can and do control the voice/game mix as intended by Astro. I do so every night playing games on a Xbox360.

@Jae304: I'll probably clean up the tape job at some point. It took me all of 5 minutes to mod a boom mic for my headphones... I suppose I could spend another 5 and make it more presentable. What I really want to do is flip the mic so both mic and headphone cable are going down the same side, but it's not that bad actually.

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #26 of 62

Quote:
Some headphones can utilize the feature with the mix amp and some can't. the AD700 cannot. At an event the mixamp is hooked up differently to where you can only change the voice/game volume with a very select few headphones. A setup at an MLG event and a set up at your house is very different. To make myself more clear they use equipment hooked up to the mixamp that is made by astro and only for use at the event. The technology is different.

you guys are just confusing me so what do i need to hook up the AD700 to the astro mixamp 

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #27 of 62
A 3.5mm Y splitter. You'll have your mic and headphone cable both run into the same jack. You'll be able to mix voice and volume to whatever level you want.

Are you actually going to compete in MLG events? Assuming that ISITIRIAIFIEI is correct, then only headphones with an Astro connector will work at MLG events since they use some special hardware or something (curious to see pics of this special hardware...). So that means:

If you ARE competing in MLG events, just get the Turtle Beach HPX with the Astro connector and be done with it.

If you AREN'T competing in MLG events, get an AD700 with a Y splitter and be done with it.

Jul 9, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #28 of 62
1 i just compete on online tournaments for now 

2 doesnt the mixamp come with all the cables i need  ?

3 astro a40 vs turtle beach hpx hpx wins right ?

Jul 9, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #29 of 62

this.
Quote:
A 3.5mm Y splitter. You'll have your mic and headphone cable both run into the same jack. You'll be able to mix voice and volume to whatever level you want.

Are you actually going to compete in MLG events? Assuming that ISITIRIAIFIEI is correct, then only headphones with an Astro connector will work at MLG events since they use some special hardware or something (curious to see pics of this special hardware...). So that means:

If you ARE competing in MLG events, just get the Turtle Beach HPX with the Astro connector and be done with it.

If you AREN'T competing in MLG events, get an AD700 with a Y splitter and be done with it.

Jul 9, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #30 of 62
Quote:
1 i just compete on online tournaments for now 

2 doesnt the mixamp come with all the cables i need  ?

3 astro a40 vs turtle beach hpx hpx wins right ?

Well, it comes with everything except a Y adapter, which you only need if you are connecting a headphone that doesn't have the mic and headphone in one connector. They're dirt cheap online. Seriously, like 5-$10. 

The HPX comes with a cable that combines headphone and mic into one, just like the Astro headset has. Alternatively, when connecting a different headset you need a 3.5mm Y splitter to combine the mic and headphones into one.

IMO- HPX beats the Astro's in every way. But, any "audiophile" headphone will beat the HPX in every way. But, I guess you can't use them at MLG tournaments, so it's either the HPX or the Astro A40 (that I know of).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back