I would like to know what kinda headset's you MLG player's use combined with the astro mixamp
Jul 7, 2011 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

Adrian Peterson

Head-Fier
what is the best headset out right now  i would like to get a few options here im going to be making a purchase in a few days 

Jul 7, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 62
I use some Ultrasone PRO 2900's with a modified boom microphone. The mic slips over my earpad and is unnoticeable (can post pics if requested). It beats anything I've heard, though I will say that the DT880/DT990 are great for the Astro Mixamp as well.

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 62
ath ad700 for gaming. Positioning is excellent. However, using a pair that doesn't have a built in mic means voice volume will be un-changeable if I remember correctly. If you are competing at an event, I would go with astro's, as communication is 100x more important than sound is. Hearing anything other than a call out with a headset not built for gaming is near impossible because of the game to voice volume ratio. This can be killer sometimes, and specifics are crucial.

Jul 8, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 62
Actually, you don't need a headset (built in microphone) to utilize the mixamp's voice to game volume mix. The headphones you have don't affect the voice/game volume mixer at all. There are two knobs on the mixamp. One controls the master volume, and the other controls the game to voice volume mix.

Personally, I would advise against using the A40. It's not comfortable, it breaks easily, and it has no bass. Yes, I know bass isn't necessary for online play- but it's still nice to be able to hear some at all.

Go with the ATH-AD700 or DT880/990. I've never heard the AD700's, but I have read on many occasions that they're pretty good for gaming. Modifying a boom mic to fit your headphones of choice will not be hard at all.

Jul 8, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 62
You just made a thread about this the other day and I told you. You're not getting anything better than AD700 for the price you want to pay, but keep trying if it makes you happy.

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 62
Someone sent a PM requesting it, so here it is: The PRO 2900 headset. As you can see, the microphone just fits over one of the earpads when I need it. The boom mic is attached to a piece of hanger wire. Might look a little tacky given the price of the headphones, but it comes right off, and it's well worth it.

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #9 of 62
I use the PC 360 and am happy with it I won't be upgrading from it, love it...Sometimes when I bring my E9 over to my gaming set up I'll use DT 990/600 LCD 2 or D7000 when I'm just messing around or want to change it up. But I don't use a mic with those so I don't go in the playlist of course with those.

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #10 of 62

When using something other than the astro the voice output has to be set on speakers. This means that the voice knob does NOT work in adjusting that volume. The voice comes through game sound, which is adjusted using game volume. The Astro headset has two separate plugins that are dedicated to utilize this feature. I've been to a couple events and this was a problem. You also share a mixamp in earlier rounds.
Quote:
Actually, you don't need a headset (built in microphone) to utilize the mixamp's voice to game volume mix. The headphones you have don't affect the voice/game volume mixer at all. There are two knobs on the mixamp. One controls the master volume, and the other controls the game to voice volume mix.

Personally, I would advise against using the A40. It's not comfortable, it breaks easily, and it has no bass. Yes, I know bass isn't necessary for online play- but it's still nice to be able to hear some at all.

Go with the ATH-AD700 or DT880/990. I've never heard the AD700's, but I have read on many occasions that they're pretty good for gaming. Modifying a boom mic to fit your headphones of choice will not be hard at all.

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #11 of 62

Quote:
When using something other than the astro the voice output has to be set on speakers. This means that the voice knob does NOT work in adjusting that volume. The voice comes through game sound, which is adjusted using game volume. The Astro headset has two separate plugins that are dedicated to utilize this feature. I've been to a couple events and this was a problem. You also share a mixamp in earlier rounds.

i never knew that 

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #12 of 62
Lets put it this way. If you want the advantage at your house get the ad700's.  Headphones wise, they are miles ahead of the a40's in every way possible. The a40's are terribly overpriced and break very easily. However, if you are competing at an event, and expect to place far, a40's or another headset that can use the mixamp's voice volume are needed. So either have their plus and minuses. And i've been attending MLG events since 2006 imo.

Quote:
i never knew that 

Jul 8, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #13 of 62

Quote:
Lets put it this way. If you want the advantage at your house get the ad700's.  Headphones wise, they are miles ahead of the a40's in every way possible. The a40's are terribly overpriced and break very easily. However, if you are competing at an event, and expect to place far, a40's or another headset that can use the mixamp's voice volume are needed. So either have their plus and minuses. And i've been attending MLG events since 2006 imo.

can you give me a list of the best headset's to use with the mixamp form best to worst 

Jul 8, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #14 of 62

I guess I don't know what you're talking about. I'm clearly not using the A40 and I can set voice volume to any level I want. I can have 100% game volume 0% voice volume, 100% voice volume 0% game volume, or absolutely any mix of the two that I want, utilizing the voice/game volume knob. My headphones/mic go into a 3.5mm male to two 3.5mm female splitter that I picked up from Turtle Beach (it came with the HPX I bought at the time). If I were plugging only the headphones into the mixamp, then yes... There might not be any volume mixer (haven't tried it). As it is, using the 3.5mm splitter (which is dirt cheap online) I can and do control the voice/game mix as intended by Astro. I do so every night playing games on a Xbox360.

@Jae304: I'll probably clean up the tape job at some point. It took me all of 5 minutes to mod a boom mic for my headphones... I suppose I could spend another 5 and make it more presentable. What I really want to do is flip the mic so both mic and headphone cable are going down the same side, but it's not that bad actually.

Jul 8, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #15 of 62

Quote:
I use the PC 360 and am happy with it I won't be upgrading from it, love it...Sometimes when I bring my E9 over to my gaming set up I'll use DT 990/600 LCD 2 or D7000 when I'm just messing around or want to change it up. But I don't use a mic with those so I don't go in the playlist of course with those.

You use the LCD2 for gaming? I've tried it with like 5 games (amped) and the soundstage just doesn't work for gaming. Same with the HE500. I think only dynamics work properly for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back