I would appreciate some help, if you don't mind good sir.
Jun 19, 2011 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Jowee00

New Head-Fier
I have recently decided to purchase the Ultrasone DJ1 headphones, and I was wondering if it is rather dumb of me to purchase them for normal use, instead of dj'ing. I was going to by the Sony mdr-v700dj headphones, until I looked at reviews and saw hat hey break quite easily. So, is it dumb of me to want to purchase the Ultrasone DJ1 headphones for normal non-dj'ing uses, if you do think so, I would appreciate your advice on what head phones to purchase, my musical tastes are as follows: dubstep(which is electronic music, with lots of bass),house, techno, hardstyle, trance, metalcore, deathcore, metal, screamo, classic rock,hard rock, and some other variants of rock. Anywho, thank you for the help.

Jun 19, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 39

Quote:
I have recently decided to purchase the Ultrasone DJ1 headphones, and I was wondering if it is rather dumb of me to purchase them for normal use, instead of dj'ing. I was going to by the Sony mdr-v700dj headphones, until I looked at reviews and saw hat hey break quite easily. So, is it dumb of me to want to purchase the Ultrasone DJ1 headphones for normal non-dj'ing uses, if you do think so, I would appreciate your advice on what head phones to purchase, my musical tastes are as follows: dubstep(which is electronic music, with lots of bass),house, techno, hardstyle, trance, metalcore, deathcore, metal, screamo, classic rock,hard rock, and some other variants of rock. Anywho, thank you for the help.

Your logic is perfectly understandable, but not really relevant as DJ headphones have come a long way since their past of pure thumping to keep pace. The line between DJ, studio and audiophile headphones is very blurry as quality is increasing in all segments.

Ultrasone headphones perform admirably with electronica, and handle rock quite good as well, so I don't think it's a bad idea at all for you to buy them.

What made you pick the DJ1? Because there are several good performers for what you look for, like the HFI-580, HFI-780, Pro 750 and ultimately the Pro 900.

Jun 19, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 39
I find that odd, as DJ1 and HFI-580 should cost about the same.

Anyway, how far does your budget stretch?

Jun 19, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 39
What are you plugging them to? Onboard audio, soundcard, external DAC, with or without amp, etc.

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 39
Honestly, you should try to stretch your budget a bit and get a Fiio E11 to pair with the DJ1s. It would give them enough headroom for you to know they would be performing adequately, instead of being limited by the iPod's output.

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #11 of 39
Honestly, you should try to stretch your budget a bit and get a Fiio E11 to pair with the DJ1s. It would give them enough headroom for you to know they would be performing adequately, instead of being limited by the iPod's output.
so are you saying that the DJ1's wouldn't operate at full power without the amp? Should I be looking for less powerful headphones? Is there really a lot of notable differences when using an amp?

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #13 of 39

Quote:
so are you saying that the DJ1's wouldn't operate at full power without the amp? Should I be looking for less powerful headphones? Is there really a lot of notable differences when using an amp?

This is a very debated subject. But the most important thing is to never pick lower headphones because of that. You can only go up
wink.gif

Different headphones react differently to amping, as well as to different amps. Both the E11 and the PA2V2 have a very good price/performance ratio, and should be considered for the headphones will have a much more effortless sound with them.

Seriously, if you can't get them right now, wait a bit and gather more money to get it so you can truly enjoy the headphones. There are lots of people who end up not liking this or that set of headphones because they weren't driving them properly, and iPods are certainly not known for being able to drive headphones properly.

EDIT: Hey, we are all here learning :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back