I won a pair of Grado SR60's on eBay, but got SR125's in the mail. Good deal?
Apr 15, 2003 at 12:54 AM Post #16 of 62
dude, hold on to the sr125s!!! theyre the same size as the sr60s anyway so i dont think the portablility would be an issue, since u were looking at the sr60s to use as portable cans. also, though they will sound *similar*, the sr125s will be a big step up from the 60s. lucky
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2003 at 1:28 AM Post #17 of 62
Quote:

I'll probably inform the seller that he sent me a wrong headphone by mistake and see what he says...just my thought.

I agree with Neo.

Apr 15, 2003 at 10:12 AM Post #18 of 62
I did inform the seller, but hell, this is freaking eBay. All sales were final, and that's my gain. I may just end up selling them 'cause with the money, I can still have great Grado sound and a Powered sub to round out my system. And I likes da BASS!I don't have anything against the 125's except that they dont come with a 1/8 plug- But they are WAY more comfortable than I was made to believe- Sennheiser HD 477's hurt my ears after a couple of hours!. I like the notion that I can use high quality headphones with my iRiver IMP350. Such was the case with my Sennheisers, and I intended that to apply with my Grados. By the "whey", are SR125's as sensitive as SR60's when being pushed from a portable?

Apr 15, 2003 at 2:33 PM Post #19 of 62
I couldn't tell any signficant difference in sensitivity between SR-60 and SR-125. THERE WAS a major difference in sound quality, the SR-60 lacked bass (probably because of the flat pads), and were not as detailed or transparent. The only 'down-grade' I would consider is the SR-80, they sound much closer to the 125.

Apr 15, 2003 at 3:46 PM Post #20 of 62
" I did inform the seller, but hell, this is freaking eBay."

I suppose that would have been the sentiment had the seller inadvertantly sent the SR40.

You should offer to return the "mistake".

My .02 cents.

Apr 15, 2003 at 3:57 PM Post #21 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by seeberg
I did inform the seller, but hell, this is freaking eBay. All sales were final, and that's my gain.

Heh. I agree with PatM. If you were sent SR-40's, you were pretty damn pissed. What did you tell the seller? "Haha, I won SR-60's and you sent me SR-125's. Too bad for you!"?

I'm going to publicly give a shout-out to jibra (Sam). I sold him a D-35 a few weeks ago, and shipped him a D-303. He was kind enough to offer to return it, or ship it on to the correct buyer. Had he not chosen to let me know about this mistake, I would never have known of the problem, and have sent the wrong person a D-35 instead, 'causing more headaches for everybody involved. (THANKS SAM!!!
biggrin.gif
)

So I'd talk to the seller before you do anything with the headphones. It may have just been an honest mistake. If this were YOU in his position, would you want the other pair back? Probably. So try to see what the seller says. If he says keep'm, then keep'm with no qualms. Otherwise, send'm back to the seller for what you paid for.

Apr 15, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #22 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
Heh. I agree with PatM. If you were sent SR-40's, you were pretty damn pissed. What did you tell the seller? "Haha, I won SR-60's and you sent me SR-125's. Too bad for you!"?

So I'd talk to the seller before you do anything with the headphones. It may have just been an honest mistake. If this were YOU in his position, would you want the other pair back? Probably. So try to see what the seller says. If he says keep'm, then keep'm with no qualms. Otherwise, send'm back to the seller for what you paid for.

I gotta agree here. You got a pair of 125s and maybe somebody that ordered 125s got a pair of 60s. That would sure suck for them and the seller.
Be honest and wait to see what the seller wants to do.

Apr 15, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #23 of 62
As for being powered, don't know about the 125's, but A/B the 60/80's with my iPod and the 60's were slightly easier to power. It wasn't a lot and didn't affect my decision, but was there.

Apr 15, 2003 at 6:34 PM Post #24 of 62
SR-60's lacking bass? My listening to those 125's on songs with ordinarily alot of bass, rap, hip hip, etc. seem to lack it as well. I wonder if that remedies once burn in is complete? It did with my HD477's which have a wonderful array of low end(37hz, but low nonetheless) and I need significant low end. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the amount of average bass the 125's produce, what number would you give to the SR-60?

Apr 15, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #25 of 62
When I got those 125's, here's what I said as positive feedback: "A+WOW!!instead of SR60,I got SR125!That's a new 150$ set for 1/3 the price!ROCK!"
I also emailed the seller with a horendous amount of praise and all the person said was "Please leave positive feedback, thanks."
The seller was only auctioning one pair of Grado's and those I won were it. I suppose they weren't paying attention to the model button on those 'phones, otherwise the price would be at least double. If the seller suddenly emailed me with some sort of distress call wanting those back, I would do the charitable thing and send them, of course I wouldn't pay shipping. I'm not THAT nice...
But alas, how I desire to at least demo a pair of SR-60's...
I hope I'm not strange by saying I want to ~gasp~ downgrade my cans...

Apr 15, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #26 of 62
if bass is your best friend. look into a pair of V6s. They go lower than any cans i've ever heard.

They positively blow *any* of the grados as far as how low they can go.

I'm not gonna go into 'accurate' bass, as it does not seem like thats what you are looking for here.

Apr 15, 2003 at 7:57 PM Post #27 of 62
I like accurate bass just fine. Don't SR-60's have that to some extent? But eek, not Sony... shoddy build quality and poor engineering(altough the PS2 is a different story now). Not good enough for a set of their cans, no way. I'll probably get those SR60's anyhow also because there's a mod here: http://headwize2.powerpill.org/proje...=grado_prj.htm
titled "Adding a Collapsible Headband" that I'd want to do out of the box. Skippy had some great ideas there. I wouldn't dare mod a set of SR125's, that would bring a guilt trip of the worst sort.

Apr 15, 2003 at 8:14 PM Post #28 of 62
Stan is right. I love my SR-80's, but if bass impact is your guilty pleasure, go with the v6's. I had a bit of a Sony bias because of two previous sets of their cans, but I got over it when hearing the v6's.

As I mentioned, I like my Grados better, but if portability and/or bass is/are your needs, the v6's are the way to go.

Apr 15, 2003 at 8:24 PM Post #29 of 62
Actually, better portability and lack of overkill are my primary needs- a balanced sound for cheap was my original goal. If I sell my 125's for 60's, I'll have what I needed originally. Besides that, assuming my 125's got broken on the road, I'd be out of luck. If anything, I'll buy from HeadRoom this time and get a good warranty. But sometimes (And this is not an offense), I wish as a business incentive, they'd offer free standard shipping on some of their cheaper cans.

Apr 15, 2003 at 8:32 PM Post #30 of 62
The v6s are hardly shoddy. I'd call then tough as nails, myself. And yes, they are the exception to the crappy Sony rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back