I want to make my own DT880/DT990/DT770 earpad replacements. Who else wants to do this with me?
Sep 11, 2013 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Kodhifi

500+ Head-Fier
I use my DT990's and DT880's a LOT. Like I need new pads about every 6 months or so when the old ones get too flattened and the foam starts to get bent out of shape. At $30 a pop though I have decided that it's time to take matters into my own hands. So last night I cut open the inside backing, the plastic bit with holes, to expose the foam.

I found that the 'velour' fabric is just very thin cloth on the inside, very insubstantial in fact, not nearly as thick as I thought it would be. The only cushioning came from a solid ring of foam about 1" thick and 1/2" wide. It may have once been straight and level but after wear it was twisting so one side had a wider diameter than the other. The foam itself looks like any other closed cell foam, like what a motherboard might come packed in.

My idea: Replace that foam with something more substantial and possibly more comfortable.

My problem: Where to buy the right kind of foam and find it in sheets 1" thick.

Possible solutions: Mattress toppers. They make regular foam and memory foam mattress toppers in 1" thickness but I don't need 80 square feet of it and it can get expensive for good 4lb memory foam.

Memory foam seat cushions. These are often 1 square foot of 1" thick memory foam for around $30. This may end up being the route I go except that it's hard to find flat seat cushions without contours.

The Plan: Using new foam I will trace out the inner and outer diameter into memory foam with a sharpie and then meticulously use either a razor blade, or a hot foam wire to cut out new foam inserts.

Cut around the outside edge of the earpads on the back side where the cuts won't be seen, pop the old foam out, maybe even wash the fabric, then insert the new ring of memory foam and re-attach them.

Anybody have a better idea or know of an OEM earpad that will last longer than 6 months?

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #3 of 3
I'm stuck trying to find a suitable foam. What I need is the kind of closed cell stuff you would find in a camera or gun case. The thick, but soft stuff. I have some left over studio foam from a rennovation but it's not the right kind for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back