I want good "over ear" headphones at little cost. Please help.
Dec 6, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #16 of 38

Yeah dont expect it to take a small amount like 10 listens to break in though, its usually at least 50hours of using the headphone before they start to break in. Good luck with the headphones!
Quote:
Thanks for that :)

I think I might go down to get some XB500s at my lunch break. I may purchase an amp at a later date.

From what I've read there will be a "break in" period so I won't take my first listen too seriously.

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #17 of 38
Would this do me for an amp?

AMAZON LINK

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

Keeping in mind I won't be needing much of a bass boost 
L3000.gif

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #19 of 38

Quote:
Not likely. The good thing about the E5 is its bass boost feature. Try the XB500 from your source. And then IF you want to try an amp, I suggest going with at least a nice cMoy or equivalent.  

I make your words mine also, with such cans i doubt you can hear some difference on bass. (using Fiio e5)

Dec 8, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #22 of 38
Nice! Mind if I ask why your getting the Dre's if you have the XB500? 

Yeah they are comfy as hell! The cable is good too as it's like the Dr Dre's (flat and doesn't tangle easily). I just hate that silver plastic :frowning2:

These are my first good headphones. My prev pair were Sennheiser CX500 and Skullcandy Ink'd in ear headphones. Which to be honest do sound good (when you can get them in your ear properly) but I'm guessing they don't play the range of sound my new ones do :) 

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #24 of 38
Save your money on the amp.  Headphones at these prices don't really need an amp, and you'll see a much bigger difference putting that money towards a better headphone anyway.  I can recommend the Denon AH-D310 if you have a low budget AND want portability.  It's a very solid headphone, and it is over ear.

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #25 of 38

Quote:
Save your money on the amp.  Headphones at these prices don't really need an amp, and you'll see a much bigger difference putting that money towards a better headphone anyway.  I can recommend the Denon AH-D310 if you have a low budget AND want portability.  It's a very solid headphone, and it is over ear.

I have already bought my XB500 but thanks anyway.

I'm looking for an amp anyway as I'm trying to use my new "cans" with my PS3 but my 50" LG 1080p television doesn't have a 3.5mm headphone port.....seems really dumb. An optical input would be ideal (only output on my TV is optical) but they seem to cost a lot. If I tried to run a setup from my PS3 it wouldn't work properly without an amp as the PS3 relies on a TV's amp for sound.

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #26 of 38
TVs usually don't have headphone ports.  Getting such a large TV and not even having a basic sound setup is asinine.  Buy yourself a receiver for now.  Any receiver will do.  Not a headphone amplifier, because the receiver will be more versatile and will drive your headphones fine.  Like this:
http://london.craigslist.co.uk/ele/2061137841.html

Buy a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter, maybe a cable extension, and now you have a way to use headphones with your TV.  Plus, in the near future, grab yourself something like these (maybe search Craigslist after Christmas, when people are getting rid of stuff after they receive gifts):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-SSB1000-2-Way-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B000OQ3TGW/ref=pd_cp_ce_1

Even though they are low-end relative to what's out there, they are cheap, and they are about 5 times better than the current sound you are getting.  I gave a friend of mine an OLDDD receiver I had for his Sony 42" plasma.  He used analog, stereo RCA connectors to connect to his TV, got only speakers similar to what I posted above, and even with only 2 bookshelfs, the difference was night and day.  This way, you will be able to use your headphones when gaming/when you're alone, and you will have decent sound for when you have company over.  In the future, you can upgrade this system piece-wise.  Get yourself a subwoofer, then get yourself a center channel speaker once you find one on sale, then get yourself more serious front surround speakers, and move those Sony to the back.  Voila, you now have a 5.1 surround system.

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #27 of 38
That's really good advice thanks very much. The amp thing was doing my head in. I have a set of decent Sony speakers already with a sub with is actually too bad ass I can't use it in my flat lol.

So now I'll look for a receiver : )

Thanks again. 

Dec 11, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #28 of 38
Ok so I got a second hand str db1070 and WWWOOOW!!! Amazing amazing amazing. I found one second hand for £99 and got the guy down to £65 :) all the settings are very confusing but right now I'm playing GTA (XB500s on) with the surround option turned on and I can't help but think why did I not invest in all this stuff before?!?! Sooo good! Thanks very much for the recommendations Woohoo!

Dec 11, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #29 of 38
I second the portapros. Haven't heard the sony line and the senns, but the portapros are nice (to my ears) for electronica. If you're looking for something cheaper, try the ksc75s.

Oh yeah, you can try the sennheiser 208s as well, they're decent and really cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back