I want good "over ear" headphones at little cost. Please help.
Dec 2, 2010 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

0TheProdigy0

New Head-Fier
Hi!

First post here!

I have been looking for some "over ear" headphones for some time but just can't fine the right ones for me!

My budget is around £25 - £40

Sorry if this offends you guys lol. You seem to spend a LOT of cash on headphones. I wish I could but can't afford it.

was looking at Kitsound DJ headphones as I heard they are great for clarity and punchy bass!

I was also looking at these IFROGZ DJ STYLE headphones as they also have great reviews, good value for money and obviously look awesome.

Any ideas? Sorry if I sound like a cheap noob 
atsmile.gif

Dec 3, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 38
Yep I love bass!

I'm into dance like The Prodigy etc but I also like a lot of heavy chilled out tunes like Morcheeba & Massive Attack or Hip Hip bahh I like lots lol.

I listen to music most on my iphone.

The 1st link I posted, the "Kitsound" headphones, they are supposed to be amazing value for money and have been reviewed with people saying they are as good as £100 Sony headphones.

I am really keen on getting a decent pair of bassy, clear and noise cancelling headphones but don't know what to get! I am willing to stretch my budget.

Any opinions on the ones in my prev post?

Thanks a lot and thanks for the welcome 
beerchug.gif

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #5 of 38
I'm not up on my pound to dollar ratio, but you can get Sennheiser HD555 for around $90 american, which should be something like £50 to £60 if I'm not estimating poorly. Those can be modded into HD595 for free by removing a piece of foam (the 555 and 595 use the same driver and housing).

I did note that amazon.co.uk has the 555 for £117 and amazon.com (us version) has the 555 for $91, which makes no sense. might want to look around and see if you can find the HD555 cheaper at a specialty store.

Dec 3, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 38
Welcome to Head-Fi. 

FWIR, I suggest considering the Sony XB500.

-----------------

Edit:

Those Kitsound DJ headphones could be pretty good - I wouldn't be afraid of giving it a try.  

I particularly like this sales pitch for it - "these sick cans are rocking 50mm drivers that will bombard your ears with some serious shock and awe".  Kind of makes me wonder if I will survive... lol. 

Quote:
Yep I love bass!

I'm into dance like The Prodigy etc but I also like a lot of heavy chilled out tunes like Morcheeba & Massive Attack or Hip Hip bahh I like lots lol.

I listen to music most on my iphone.

Dec 3, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #7 of 38
I recently purchased Sennheiser's HD280 around-the-ear headphones and I really like them.  Sound quality, to my ears anyway, is excellent.  I listen mostly to jazz with some pop/rock thrown in.  My IPod drives these phones easily.  I cannot think of anything negative to say about them.  Cost $100 USD.

Dec 6, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #11 of 38
Update:

I have bumped up my budget lol. My girlfriend says she will chip in like £50 towards a pair so now I'm thinking......Sennheiser HD515 but I want the HD555 
beyersmile.png

They look awesome, have awesome reviews etc etc.

Would I need an amp for my MP3 player? 

Can get some XB500s for £50 no problem but I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

Dec 6, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #14 of 38
xb700 has way bigger earpads and is just bigger in general. also the maximum power xb500 can handle is 1500mW and for xb700 its 3000mW. thats all the knowledge i have of the difference between them so im just gonna leave it at that :p

Oh, and you wont need an amp for the XB700, it's only 24 ohms impedance (most headphones i know of are like 40-60ohms that are powered by ipods so it's way under the limit). But amps do make everything sound better if you want it.

Dec 6, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #15 of 38
Thanks for that :)

I think I might go down to get some XB500s at my lunch break. I may purchase an amp at a later date.

From what I've read there will be a "break in" period so I won't take my first listen too seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back