I want everything the ATH-ad700s have
Mar 12, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 16
I like my AD700 so much that I wish I had just gotten the AD900. Does the AD900 have the same comfort as the AD700? Does the AD900's driver cover rest against your ears? For me the AD700 doesn't.
I can't say the AD700 is the most comfortable headphone ever, but I use it for hours while gaming. The pads are kind of scratchy.

AD700 is one of the best deals ever on a headphone,but for many it's not good for just an only headphone for doing everything. It seems these days, less bass doesn't bother me.

So I'm guessing the AD900 fixed the slight dip in the mids of the AD700 and adds a little more clamping force? I miss my AD2000 already, but the AD700 feels like it's about 65% of the AD2000, but with a bigger soundstage.
I don't think they're so radically different like people say.

For only a $90 headphone the AD700 sure is quite detailed and rather clear sounding. At first I felt the sound was a tad too distant, but then I forced it to have more clamping force. I don't use my AD700 much for music, but it's a nice alternative to my HD-650.
I actually preferred my old AD2000 and AD700 for acoustic music over the HD-650.

BTW off topic, but I wonder how the W1000X is for gaming
regular_smile%20.gif
It just makes me wonder if a closed headphone can have a good enough soundstage for gaming. Doubt it. Of course nobody buys a W1000X for gaming, but it'd be amusing to try it out.
I wish I could, but I don't think I could ever force myself to buy a $650+ closed headphone. Open headphones just spoil me, but I do think closed headphones do vocals better in most cases.

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #6 of 16
I really like the AD900's.  To me, they fix the slightly recessed mids the AD700's have, and with slightly better bass too.

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #7 of 16
W1000x do great. It´s not really closed since it´s ported and doesn´t isolate at all. AD 700 does really nothing better then it unless you are bass allergic :)

I do slightly preferr the DX 1000 but if you are treble focused the W1000x is probably safer. mid range and treble reminded me a lot of the AD 700 except for having a warmer tone :)

Mar 12, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
I like my AD700 so much that I wish I had just gotten the AD900. Does the AD900 have the same comfort as the AD700? Does the AD900's driver cover rest against your ears? For me the AD700 doesn't.
I can't say the AD700 is the most comfortable headphone ever, but I use it for hours while gaming. The pads are kind of scratchy.

AD700 is one of the best deals ever on a headphone,but for many it's not good for just an only headphone for doing everything. It seems these days, less bass doesn't bother me.

So I'm guessing the AD900 fixed the slight dip in the mids of the AD700 and adds a little more clamping force? I miss my AD2000 already, but the AD700 feels like it's about 65% of the AD2000, but with a bigger soundstage.
I don't think they're so radically different like people say.

I'll mention this in my comparison, but the AD900 is actually more comfortable than the AD700. Resulting in the absolute most comfortable headphone I've ever placed on my head.

I'll agree, the AD700 is one of the best deals ever, and I think that's the downfall of the AD900. People think, "Is the AD900 really worth double (or triple) the price of the AD700?" Most will say no, I'll say definitely. It's just the AD700 is so incredibly cheap, anything more that is similar looks expensive by comparison. People would think the AD900 is a much better value if it were, say $120-$150.

AD900 is the most fabulous headphone I've ever heard. It will take one heck of a headphone to take it from the throne!

Mar 12, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #9 of 16
Mar 12, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #12 of 16
I actually had the DT880 32ohm and the 600ohm. But that was months ago, and it's hard for me to compare it to the AD900.

All I know is, the AD900 is my absolute favorite headphone now, and I've had experience with three headphones from Beyerdynamic, as well as other similar ones such as the K701. The only problem is, I may just have gotten the "open headphone syndrome", so maybe I would absolutely love the DT880's now. I just remember the HD650 > DT880/DT990, D2000 > HD650, Pro 900 > D2000, and now the AD900 > Pro 900.

I do really wish I could compare the DT880 vs the AD900, but that's won't be happening. In fact, I've been planning on getting yet another headphone, one that may replace the AD900. We'll see.

Mar 12, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
Color me interested, what makes the AD900 better than the DT880... for those that have heard both. Does it go without saying that the AD2000 is better than the AD900 in every way? 

I really dislike the word "better" as it doesn't describe anything.  Having said that, the AD900 simply isn't "better" than the DT880, they are more similar than different, however they still have different enough sound signatures,so individual preference will play a role in which one is perceived "preferable".  The obvious significant difference between the two is that the AD900 is far more efficient, therefore amp requirements are substantially less than the DT880.  I believe that the DT880 is a technically "better" headphone than the AD900, doing everything/most things at a slightly higher level when both are adequately amped.  The AD900 at its price point and with the level of efficiency that it has, makes for a very enjoyable listen for very moderate investment.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/398321/dt880-review-2005-250ohm 

Katun, you are already planning to "replace" your AD900, new toy syndrome doesn't last long at your place.

Mar 12, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
I really dislike the word "better" as it doesn't describe anything.  Having said that, the AD900 simply isn't "better" than the DT880, they are more similar than different, however they still have different enough sound signatures,so individual preference will play a role in which one is perceived "preferable".  The obvious significant difference between the two is that the AD900 is far more efficient, therefore amp requirements are substantially less than the DT880.  I believe that the DT880 is a technically "better" headphone than than the AD900, doing everything/most things at a slightly higher level when both are adequately amped.  The AD900 at its price point and with the level of efficiency that it has, makes for a very enjoyable listen for very moderate investment.

Katun, you are already planning to "replace" your AD900, new toy syndrome doesn't last long at your place.

Hmm, that makes me really interested in trying the DT880 again someday. I just remember them being way to bright for my liking, but then again, that was against the HD650!
biggrin.gif
Now I'm just wondering whether the DT880 is brighter than the AD900 or the other way around. I did wish the DT880 was as comfortable as the DT990 though -- another reason I really like the AD900. Also, for the fact that the soundstage is massive.

Unfortunately so. I don't think I'll ever learn to just stay with one headphone. I think half the fun of this hobby is trying all different kinds, because I'll always think that there *is* a headphone out there I'll like even more than the one I currently have. Sigh. Oh well. New toy syndrome lasts about the first song with me, and then it's, "I wonder what else I should get?" I just hope that isn't the case for the one I'm trying to muster up the courage to buy.

Mar 12, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #15 of 16
These 2 are very different thing.
AD900 is almost overall improvement over ad700 and has big soundstage while upper models in the AD line (1k/prm/2k) have much more forward sounding

Quote:
Does it go without saying that the AD2000 is better than the AD900 in every way? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back