I used to own 650's. Now should I get HD600 vs DT880 vs K701?
Aug 27, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #16 of 21
Yeah the k701 sounds extremely bad if you are not driving it correctly, the same probably goes for the hd600. because you're running it right off a computer and iphone I think you would be best off with the dt770s if you can get the 32 ohm version. getting really nice high impedance headphones is pointless f you are just going to run it off an iphone or computer with no gear at all.

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

This is good to know.  I haven't looked south of the HE-500 in the line up.  The HE-500 are indeed a good all-rounder.  If it wasn't for their bass bloom (or hump, or whatever it is) I would hold it in much higher regard.

While there's nothing wrong with the ODAC with any headphone, the O2 and the X70X is a bad idea.  Not enough current & it doesn't rectify the "wonky" midrange like tubes do. 

Really? Need to try that combo again though, I seen a few users paired the 701 with lesser amps and achieved good results. Among the 3 I would actually go with the DT880/ HD600 as their genre bandwidth for me is much greater than the K701. I think HD600 is among the lightest of headphones I touched, it feels very good for long sessions compared to my srh840s.  

If you are not getting the O2 or a Audiogd dac, I would actually give my recommendation to a DACmini CX with the 1ohm mod if using with sensitive headphones and pre output mod as well. That way you can enjoy preamp outputs and there is a headphone amp as well.

disclaimer: Have not heard a NFB series dac only.

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:
Quote:
Really? Need to try that combo again though, I seen a few users paired the 701 with lesser amps and achieved good results. Among the 3 I would actually go with the DT880/ HD600 as their genre bandwidth for me is much greater than the K701. I think HD600 is among the lightest of headphones I touched, it feels very good for long sessions compared to my srh840s.  

If you are not getting the O2 or a Audiogd dac, I would actually give my recommendation to a DACmini CX with the 1ohm mod if using with sensitive headphones and pre output mod as well. That way you can enjoy preamp outputs and there is a headphone amp as well.

disclaimer: Have not heard a NFB series dac only.

I agree, the HD600 seems like the ticket here.  As far as the O2 or ODAC.  I would only recommend the ODAC.  It's an over achiever.  The O2 is alright in my books, good for the price, but not as much of a bargain as the ODAC.  I would pick up a different amp unless you're needs are specifically met by the O2:  IEM, CIEM, Ultrasone, Denon, etc.

I owned two Audio-GD lower tier DACs, and I prefer the ODAC.

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There's an empirical way of gathering subjective impressions: if you consistently find success with high current amps, then it's not unsafe to assume there's a correlation, at least in real life.  Especially when this is corroborated by many other people.  Do you suggest we discard all these data points as "unreliable and biased"?

Yes, unless you can give some reliable proof (i.e. passing a well controlled blind test against a known "good" amplifier; why not take the designer's $500 challenge, for example ?). There is a lot of nonsense that many audiophiles believe in (silver cables etc.), and hearing something in a non-level matched sighted comparison proves nothing. Your opinion is also contradicted by others who use and enjoy the K701/Q701 from devices that are less powerful than the O2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In real life, and in the collective experience of many others, low wattage amps like the O2 don't supply adequate power for good driver control.

Define "low wattage" and "adequate power for good driver control". Can you give any actual numbers ? As I already explained, it can output higher power than what the K701 drivers can handle according to AKG's specifications.

Aug 27, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv014 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Stv014, everything I've posted about has come from a subjective perspective.  I thought that part was clear.  It's based on experience.  What kind of numbers am I supposed to give you?  Or are you being intentionally dense?  

To be honest, I don't see this conversation going anywhere.  I've said what I've had to say about the amp in the various O2 threads around here, and you're free to read all those posts.  Purrin has posted similar impressions (on it's inadequacy), so has Anax, and so have others that have made very good points in argument to the ones you've posted above.  

It's really ironic how the "burn the infidels" attitude permeates this whole supposedly-objective congregation on head-fi.  

Back to the topic at hand.  The OP can crunch numbers or take the numbers Stv014 has already posted for granted.  Just like we tend to take measurements from a certain martyr's site for granted.  I wonder if anyone has corroborated those measurements?  
wink.gif

Or he/she can go with the multitude of opinions from the more experienced members on this forum, as biased and unreliable as they may seem, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back