I used to own 650's. Now should I get HD600 vs DT880 vs K701?
Aug 26, 2012 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

mattybongo

New Head-Fier

Totally overwhelmed by the choices and decisions I'm facing as I consider buying a new pair of headphones and potentially an amp or dac/amp combined.

I have once owned a pair of HD650s and a Rega Ear amp years ago. It was a nice setup though they always sounded a little dark/far-away to me. I've not had the chance to listen to any other high end phones due to where I live so it's a case of ordering online and hoping for the best.

They will be most importantly for listening and enjoying music but potentially (as I have no other phones at present), I may use them with my Digital Piano occasionally too. 

Listening source will be either an iPhone or my Macbook with a range of mostly mp3 (192, 310) and some uncompressed. I have no DAC at present. Varied styles, classical, jazz, folk, some indie/electronic, singer/songwriter stuff.

After lots of reading online, I have on my list the following:

AKG 701
HD600 (supposedly a bit brighter/more forward than the 650)
DT880
DT770 (probably not but benefits of closed mean I could take them on the plane)

I guess any opinions and advice would be appreciated. Obviously it's a very subjective thing but given some of what I've mentioned above, perhaps you could share your thoughts on which might suit best (comfort, sound) and what a suitable reasonably priced amp would be. Since I don't have a DAC, I also wonder how much better things would be if I get a DAC/AMP combined instead of just an amp?

On that note, I had planned to get a Rega Dac in the future for use with my Stereo setup (Rega Brio Amp, Rega Loudspeakers) but something like the nuForce HDP looks pretty cool too and could still be used as a pre?

Aug 26, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 21
Only wish you could hear my magnums. They are like grado meets senn, I think you'd like proper pair. (I say proper, because the drivers differ and the cup materials, you kinda have to synergize).

Aug 26, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 21
I wish you could try out the HE-400 and then decide...

Aug 26, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 21
Q701 is nothing compared to HE400s to my ears; auditioned them yesterday at a meet and it was on par with HE300s (the dynamic driver Hifimans) with smoother mids but brighter treble and a severe lack of bottom end. The HE400s crushed it in every respect, the owner of the Q701 A/B'd as well and agreed wholeheartedly.

Aug 26, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:
 Totally overwhelmed by the choices and decisions I'm facing as I consider buying a new pair of headphones and potentially an amp or dac/amp combined.

I have once owned a pair of HD650s and a Rega Ear amp years ago. It was a nice setup though they always sounded a little dark/far-away to me. I've not had the chance to listen to any other high end phones due to where I live so it's a case of ordering online and hoping for the best.

They will be most importantly for listening and enjoying music but potentially (as I have no other phones at present), I may use them with my Digital Piano occasionally too. 

Listening source will be either an iPhone or my Macbook with a range of mostly mp3 (192, 310) and some uncompressed. I have no DAC at present. Varied styles, classical, jazz, folk, some indie/electronic, singer/songwriter stuff.

After lots of reading online, I have on my list the following:

AKG 701
HD600 (supposedly a bit brighter/more forward than the 650)
DT880
DT770 (probably not but benefits of closed mean I could take them on the plane)

I guess any opinions and advice would be appreciated. Obviously it's a very subjective thing but given some of what I've mentioned above, perhaps you could share your thoughts on which might suit best (comfort, sound) and what a suitable reasonably priced amp would be. Since I don't have a DAC, I also wonder how much better things would be if I get a DAC/AMP combined instead of just an amp?

On that note, I had planned to get a Rega Dac in the future for use with my Stereo setup (Rega Brio Amp, Rega Loudspeakers) but something like the nuForce HDP looks pretty cool too and could still be used as a pre?

I'll venture forth my opinion.  You sound like you listen to a couple of different genres so you seem like you would want an all-rounder.  The HD600 fits that bill better than anything else on your list.  The AKG will do some stuff justice, but not everything.  The DT880 is bright.  Some people love it, most find it piercing.  If you're not too nit picky the HD600 will do you fine.

And what the other guy said about the HE-series headphones is probably true, they're usually good value.  Definitely consider it.

As far as amp/DAC.  The ObjectiveDAC is good great for the price.  Read the impressions out there from the people who have owned better gear, they usually know what they're talking about and have given it praise.  Just don't drink the kool-aid while you're in those threads.  =]

For an amplifier, buy it according to the needs of the headphones you choose.  Low impedance, high efficiency orthodynamic or dynamic like the HE-4 or K701?  Go for high current amps.

High impedance, relatively easy load like the HD600?  Voltage swing is the name of the game.  Bottlehead gear is good for this.  And balanced gear has a good reputation w/ these older Sennheisers too, especially when sold at half of retail.

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:
Q701 is nothing compared to HE400s to my ears; auditioned them yesterday at a meet and it was on par with HE300s (the dynamic driver Hifimans) with smoother mids but brighter treble and a severe lack of bottom end. The HE400s crushed it in every respect, the owner of the Q701 A/B'd as well and agreed wholeheartedly.

Actually, no, I did not agree. 
wink.gif

I still prefer my Q701. The treble spike of the HE-400 was a deal breaker for me. They are better than the Q701 if you listen mainly to electronic music. With anything else, I cannot recommend them. The HE-500 are much better all-rounder.

There's also comfort: I cannot see how someone can sit down and watch a 3 hours movie with those heavy HiFiMAN. The Q701 is much better for this.

Edit: Just reread the last post. I tried my Q701 with the ODAC and O2 combo yesterday, and it was awful. It was all about treble, as if there was a treble boost in the software. I could not stand it more than a minute, it was this painful. I would recommend against matching the AKG with the Objective combo. The AKG sound much better with my NFB-12.

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:
I still prefer my Q701. The treble spike of the HE-400 was a deal breaker for me. [...] The HE-500 are much better all-rounder.

This is good to know.  I haven't looked south of the HE-500 in the line up.  The HE-500 are indeed a good all-rounder.  If it wasn't for their bass bloom (or hump, or whatever it is) I would hold it in much higher regard.

Edit: Just reread the last post. I tried my Q701 with the ODAC and O2 combo yesterday, and it was awful. It was all about treble, as if there was a treble boost in the software. I could not stand it more than a minute, it was this painful. I would recommend against matching the AKG with the Objective combo. The AKG sound much better with my NFB-12.

While there's nothing wrong with the ODAC with any headphone, the O2 and the X70X is a bad idea.  Not enough current & it doesn't rectify the "wonky" midrange like tubes do. 

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #11 of 21
I guess it all boils down to the actual usage.

If you are going to use the headphone primarily with Iphone or other mobile devices, you may want to re-consider if you want a big can.  After all, full size headphones usually need proper headamp to sing well (eg HD600).  Without it, you may only get the inconvenience but not the great sound.  For iphone, I usually plug in Shure SE215.  It is a great earplug that iphone can drive properly without fuzz.

Happy listening and shopping.

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

This is not true. The O2 can output enough current to drive the K701 to at least about three times its rated 200 mW maximum power.

Is this an empirical statement, or is it based on numbers?  I've tried it off at least a dozen amps, and high current always worked out better (ie. more control of the driver).  

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
Is this an empirical statement, or is it based on numbers?  I've tried it off at least a dozen amps, and high current always worked out better (ie. more control of the driver).  

When deciding if a device has "enough power", I would rather trust numbers than subjective impressions, which are unreliable and biased more often than not.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:
When deciding if a device has "enough power", I would rather trust numbers than subjective impressions, which are unreliable and biased more often than not.

There's an empirical way of gathering subjective impressions: if you consistently find success with high current amps, then it's not unsafe to assume there's a correlation, at least in real life.  Especially when this is corroborated by many other people.  Do you suggest we discard all these data points as "unreliable and biased"?  

Maybe I should qualify my statements properly:  

In theory, and if I had no experience with any of the units we're talking about, the O2 should supply more than enough power to the K701.

In real life, and in the collective experience of many others, low wattage amps like the O2 don't supply adequate power for good driver control.

How one chooses to reconcile the discrepancy between the two is up to them.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back