I think I've decided on my headphone/amp combo for electronic music... a little advice real quick please?
Nov 22, 2010 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

enobeuh

Head-Fier
I've been lurking head-fi for a while now trying to decide what headphones would work best with the kind of music I listen to. Which would be mostly electronica: sts9, bassnectar, gorillaz, dj shadow, shpongle, etc. Also a little progressive rock: Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, King Krimson
What I saw recommended most often for electronic music was Beyerdynamic DT880, AKG702, Sony SA5000, and Denon AH-D2000/5000.

Due to either budget constraints or the fact that I want a closed back headphone, I've decided to go with the Denon AH-D2000 with a Nuforce uDAC USB DAC Amp. 

Is there anything I should consider before I decide 100% on this combo? Also, I need a new MP3 player that can play FLAC, what are some of the most affordable alternatives out there? The iPod's just not going to cut it anymore.

EDIT:  Also, any suggestions on a good place to purchase this stuff? Are there any sales on any websites for Christmas coming up soon?

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 7
The D2000s will probably do a good job for you although they do leak a little sound. It's not a lot but possibly enough to be an annoyance. They don't have very great isolation either which is something to consider.

What's your budget? What do you like in your sound (bass, treble, mids, soundstage, etc)? The more information the better.

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 7
I'd like to keep it under $400. Chances are I wont actually be using them in public (ie planes, trains) very often, so a little sound leakage shouldn't be that big of an issue for me.

Its hard for me to really say what out of those would be important to me in a headphone since I don't have a lot of experience with high quality headphones... the best I've ever listened to are Beats by Dre, a set of cans I don't think I've ever seen get any love on this site. I would say I'd prefer the balance between the bass and treble to be somewhere in the middle, maybe a little heavier on the bass side given the kind of music I listen to, but I don't want it to be so overpowering that it drowns out other stuff. Which is part of the reason I decided on the D2000 over the D5000, which apparently can have a pretty sloppy bass sometimes. Having a larger soundstage would also be a big plus. 

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #4 of 7
This is a rather arbitrary suggestion, but I'm presently interested in generally the same kind of sound, and I'm looking at Gary's PA2V2 amp and I presently own Sennheiser HD25 1 II's. The amp is $60 and I got the Senns for $160, though they usually go for about $200. 

But someone more informed should take a look at that before you take it to the bank. 

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 7
Alrighty, I ordered the D2000 and the Nuforce uDAC2 today... should be coming in later this week.
 I have this mobo in my computer http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/dx58so/dx58so-overview.htm  is there any reason the on board audio wouldnt be good enough? 

Quote:
Intel® High Definition Audio subsystem in the following configuration: 

1. 10-channel (7.1) Dolby Home Theater* Audio subsystem with five analog audio outputs and two S/PDIF digital audio outputs (coaxial and optical) using the Realtek* ALC889 audio codec

And does anyone have any recommendations for steps I could take to make anything sound better while listening from my computer? I use MediaMonkey in case it matters. 

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 7
I would have suggested the Xonar Essence soundcard for your computer but your new DAC should do a job in that regard also. 

As for tips for better computer playback....with your new DAC....*if* you have a free PS3 or 360 console nearby and a free line in port on your DAC play your music files on those systems hooked up to your DAC - the difference in sound vs PC based media players on the same files hooked up to the same equipment is bigger than night & day I kid you not. For me PC based media players distort the sound something chronic and I have a decent soundcard (not Essence yet) at least on console playback everything sounds as it should - bass isn't a complete mess and the kickdrum actually sounds like a kickdrum instead of sounding like plastic striking wood inside a coffin that rattles on impact. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back