I think ive been ripped off, need headphones for 100$
Feb 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

OakCat

New Head-Fier
So i bought some bose headphones for 100$ while i was out and about on a whim wasnt looking for them in particular but i saw them and happened to have the money...so i bought them and they are pretty nice... im not very well read on the subject of headphones and was linked here from another forum in which they were dicussing headphones... the general concensus was that bose and beats are not as good as people might think and your just paying for the brand name... well im planning on taking my bose back and need another pair to replace them... dont want to spend over a 100$ ... im only listening to music on these so i dont need anything too fancy... just looking to get the best bang for my buck

TL:DR - Need the best headphones for around 100$, suggestions please

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 8
Nobody knows what the "best" headphones are because it always comes down to personal preferences. 

I have the Grado SR80i's and they sound very good for 100$. As I don't live in the US I haven't checked, but you might find them for less if you look around.

They're not really bass heavy (I find myself turning the bass boost on on my Fiio E10 quite a lot) but they are very detailed for $100. I also have the HD650, which are a lot more expensive, and I still put on my Grados from time to time to enjoy the Grado sound. I think that they are very good for acoustic music. They are kind of "in your face" and you feel close to the singer and instrument. 

If you want noise-cancelling or closed headphones, look elsewhere. The Grados leak a lot and don't isolate well at all, and they aren't meant to. 

I wouldn't use them outside. 

I haven't heard many other headphones at 100$ so I will let other, more experienced, people guide you in the right direction.

I am by no means an expert but every opinion counts. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 8
Give us a little more information and we can help you better. Maybe these questions would help us help you?

- What sort of music do you regularily listen to?
- Do you have a big or small head?
- What tasks will these headphones be put up to most of the time? Music? Gaming? Movies? Mixing? etc. etc.
- Do you need noise-cancelling or isolationg or dont care about isolation at all?
- Will you put these headphones through potential abuse; is durability a very big trait to you?
- Are you very hard to please in the comfort area? Will comfort need to be very high?
- Do you prefer open or closed back headphones?
- Are looks very important to you?
- Do you prefer a shorter or longer chord? Coiled or straight? I-plug or L-plug?
- Do you have any preference to emphasized bass or mids or highs?
- Do you prefer a more flat sound signature?
- Are you willing/able to buy an amp or DAC to run your headphones?
- Do you need any particular functions? Controls? Volume? Mic? etc.
- What are you using with these headphones? An iPod? Your laptop?

That should help us a nice bit :)

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:

- What sort of music do you regularily listen to?
super ghetto rap and some classic rock.
- Do you have a big or small head? 
big
- What tasks will these headphones be put up to most of the time? Music? Gaming? Movies? Mixing?
only listening to music
- Do you need noise-cancelling or isolationg or dont care about isolation at all? 
yes but i dont need anything crazy
- Will you put these headphones through potential abuse; is durability a very big trait to you? 
nope
- Are you very hard to please in the comfort area? Will comfort need to be very high? 
no ill adjust 
- Do you prefer open or closed back headphones?
not sure...
- Are looks very important to you?
no, but lets not try and embarrass me too much
- Do you prefer a shorter or longer chord? Coiled or straight? I-plug or L-plug?
pocket to head length, straigh cord, iplug
- Do you have any preference to emphasized bass or mids or highs?
no
- Do you prefer a more flat sound signature?  
not sure what that means
- Are you willing/able to buy an amp or DAC to run your headphones? i dont know what those are, but i dont think i will need them just want to casually listen to music
- Do you need any particular functions? Controls? Volume? Mic? etc.
nope
- What are you using with these headphones? An iPod? Your laptop?
i have a windows phone so it has a zune built in to it

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 8
OakCat: elemein asked some pretty technical questions there, so I'll help translate your answers into a format that will help you search for the answers better.

You want headphones that are:
  1. Closed
  2. Unamped
  3. Strong on bass, but not "muddy" (because you listen to ghetto, which needs bass, and classic rock, which mustn't have too much bass)

You might want to try looking for headphones that are described as "closed Grados" with a little more bass, because of the ghetto music. Grado is widely considered the perfect rock headphone brand, but they make headphones that are "open"--i.e. zero isolation.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #6 of 8

The Denon AH-D1000 (and/or Creative Aurvana Live) would probably do very well here. Alternately, you might look at Ultrasone. The Bose AE1 or 2 would actually satisfy these criteria fairly well too.
Quote:
OakCat: elemein asked some pretty technical questions there, so I'll help translate your answers into a format that will help you search for the answers better.

You want headphones that are:
  1. Closed
  2. Unamped
  3. Strong on bass, but not "muddy" (because you listen to ghetto, which needs bass, and classic rock, which mustn't have too much bass)

You might want to try looking for headphones that are described as "closed Grados" with a little more bass, because of the ghetto music. Grado is widely considered the perfect rock headphone brand, but they make headphones that are "open"--i.e. zero isolation.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 8
I got a chance to audition the creative Aurvana Live when I was overseas and I'd recommend them, especially since they hover around $70. They are super comfortable (very bose AE2-like in terms of comfort imo) 

For more money I think I like what I hear about the V-moda M80 but i want to find a place to audition them for comfort/SQ first. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back