I think I'm going for Philips SHL8800/28
Jun 28, 2011 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

yllanos

New Head-Fier
Hi.

I'm on the market for some Headphones.  Think I've decided myself for some Philips SHL8800/28.  

Has anybody any feedback on these?

Uses for headphones:
  1. Part 1: playing on my Casio WK-500 keyboard
  2. Part 2: half time gaming and half time listening music on my PC (Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium).  Music genres that I listen: 70% Salsa, 20% Rock, 10% Classical and Jazz

My headphones brands are Philips, JVC and Pioneer.  Sennheiser is not very popular in my country but I have a couple of friends who have some models, but I don't really want to experiment on different brands since I'm buying online and shipping them to my country. I don't like over-ear headphones since I wear glasses all the time and they're not very comfortable to me.  I have some old Dell Bluetooth BH200 which have crappy sound but they just fits me nicely and I can wear them for hours long.

Sound and comfort is important, but design is a plus for me too.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #2 of 16
Do you have any more money?

$40 is the lowest, the lowest we start here. I won't even listen to under $40 headphones because they all sound the same. 

Sony MDR-V6 would meet all your needs, but then they are $60

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 16
Yup, increase your budget a bit. That model is not very popular here from what i see. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 16
I've considered the JVC HARX700, but they look quite uncomfortable to me.

By the way, 1) I hate Sony's products and 2) The Sony model is a little old actually.  I'm hoping newer models have some sort of materials/components improvements, you all know how technology advances.

Any more ideas?

Jun 28, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
I've considered the JVC HARX700, but they look quite uncomfortable to me.

By the way, 1) I hate Sony's products and 2) The Sony model is a little old actually.  I'm hoping newer models have some sort of materials/components improvements, you all know how technology advances.

Any more ideas?

1. Sony produces some of the worlds finest headphones and the greatest headphones in the world, IMO, MDR-R10. If you're afraid of Sony headphones, you're pretty sad.

2. The best headphones are old. People lust after old headphones because thing really haven't changed for 30 years. Seriously, we are still using technology from when the Nazis created HiFi and Stereo recording in the 1930's. If you think that newer models use better materials, you're misinformed.

The MDR-V6 is loved here. People actually have back up pairs just because they use their pair so much. Me myself, I can't edit music without them, even though I can have $$$$ pairs, I still like my V6 as a pure studio headphone. They are well balance, have great isolation, great comfort and are a great value. There is a reason they have been around for a long time, because they are that good. Look up the threads here about the V6, no body has a bad thing to say about the,.

Jun 28, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #7 of 16
1) What's wrong with Sony? I bought the V6 a couple of weeks ago but ended up returning it to try the M50. I regretted that decision so now I am returning the M50 to get the V6 again.

Have you tried a decent pair of Sony's to state that you hate it?

2) What's wrong with the age of a headphone model? I believe the longer its been around the better it is because it is reputable. If you are worried about the retro look, the next step up (and relatively more recent model) is the 7509HD. I'm sure the components are updated as well, producing better sound than the V6. And not all 'new' technology works well with the hifi community. Noise cancellation is one of them that detracts from sound quality.

Which comes to the conclusion that simpler is better.

Jun 28, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
1) What's wrong with Sony? I bought the V6 a couple of weeks ago but ended up returning it to try the M50. I regretted that decision so now I am returning the M50 to get the V6 again.

Have you tried a decent pair of Sony's to state that you hate it?

2) What's wrong with the age of a headphone model? I believe the longer its been around the better it is because it is reputable. If you are worried about the retro look, the next step up (and relatively more recent model) is the 7509HD. I'm sure the components are updated as well, producing better sound than the V6. And not all 'new' technology works well with the hifi community. Noise cancellation is one of them that detracts from sound quality.

Which comes to the conclusion that simpler is better.

beerchug.gif

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 16
I don't like Sony becasuse their horrible product decisions.  I didn't say I hate Sony headphones in particular.  For example, I remember them charging more for their VAIO laptops when they offered that stupid MemoryStick and everbody else was already on SD memory.  Another example: They started offering the PS3 with support to install Linux and suddenly they blocked this feature.  They recently have started changing this, but let´s just say that I like more open technology.  Maybe this is not important to audio enthusiasts.

Bottom line, I'll have to think about it because I don't want to spend more on a product from someone I don't really like and end up frustrated easily.

About the materials, I remember reading some years ago an article on IEEE Spectrum about how a Japanese engineer created a wood-based diaphragm for audio products (due to the acoustic conductivity of wood).  I also heard that JVC has a new carbon-based diaphragm which enhances low frecuencies.  This is very interesting to me.  Let´s just say I'm not that traditional in that matter.

Anyway, Sony has worked before with Philips (example: S/PDIF), and since my home teather is Philips, I prefer that brand (I also have some old Philips 2.1 speakers and they also sound very good).

P.D.: are the V6 on-ear or over-ear?

Jun 28, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 16
I don't see how your argument between laptops and gaming systems and audio is valid, even though they are from the same company. Not exactly comparing apples to apples. Sony is a huge company and I'm sure they have divisions for each type of consumer product.

Now I see there you are coming from in terms of comparing different company's new speaker materials, but I'm not too savvy in this area. Can someone back me up if Sony has some kind of similar new materials they are using?

Yes, the V6 are over ear, noise isolation is decent.

It seems as though you are very set on getting the Philips phones, and no amount of peer feedback will change your mind. As far as your question between the two Philips models, I doubt you'll get an answer here. I don't think anyone has tried both, or even one of them for that matter. Why don't you just pick one and try it out, and let us know how you like it.

Jun 28, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #11 of 16
MDR-V6 is over ear.

Philips sucks, btw. 

People who are afraid of company manes are really pathetic. If you gave me ten seconds, I cal pull up junk and problems with philips. But no! Because you heard accusation of a company it flips your whole idea of the entire in world in half, huh? 

A wood based diaphragm sounds like it would send splinters into my ears. Diaphragms are internals of the drivers in the headphones. What they are talking about are the materials around the drivers, wood is warmer and gives better low end, carbon is stronger and created more isolation that gives off better highs. All drivers are made of ultra sensitive materials usually flexable plastic or polymer that is cut and shaped to perfection.

Why don't you read up on something before you make ill minded accusations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_MDR-V6

Jun 28, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #12 of 16
That's one of my main problems: I have no way to try them before
confused_face.gif
so I have to rely on a "objective" balance between technical aspects and overall design.

I've done many purchasing decisions before on electronics, but headphones have proven to be very challenging! Lucky I have you guys
wink_face.gif

Anyway, even if i decide to go with Sony or whatever don't want over-ear design, I'm looking for on-ear models. As I said before, I wear glasses all day and I've no hair, so this is important (unless there is some model that doesn't hurt my ears/head).

Jan 9, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #14 of 16
i got the shl 8800...and they r more on the mids...tight bass and a rolled off highs....good for watching movies ..supra aural ...i have a sony xb 500 too ...and they have a very good bass presence....infact excessive bass sometimes leaking into the mids....i dont kno y but i find the philips to have more headtime even tho the sonys r so ****** comfortable and more of an experience.......the shl 8800 r good headphones but not for the price ..i mean for half the price u can get the hd 202/203 thats way better ...eitherway the shl 8800 r not tiring one bit and have better isolation(a bit less than the xb 500 but thats because of the 'wholesome' effect) than the hd 202.......btw they r completely adjustable...
i mean i can always sleep listenin to the shl 8800...but not with the xb 500 or the hd 202...whic i have to wake up in bween and unplug....

Jan 9, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
That's one of my main problems: I have no way to try them before
confused_face.gif
so I have to rely on a "objective" balance between technical aspects and overall design.

I've done many purchasing decisions before on electronics, but headphones have proven to be very challenging! Lucky I have you guys
wink_face.gif

Anyway, even if i decide to go with Sony or whatever don't want over-ear design, I'm looking for on-ear models. As I said before, I wear glasses all day and I've no hair, so this is important (unless there is some model that doesn't hurt my ears/head).

I have glasses too and V6s. They dont put too much pressure AT ALL on your head, clamping force is quite literally "just enough to keep em on your head" and nothing more. Your glasses will not annoy you, and if you want isolation, on-ear isnt the way to go in your price range. I also vouch for the V6s. I love these babies to death :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back