I seem to have had a shift in sound taste. Advice for bright headphones please? Thanks.
Jun 27, 2011 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Monsieur

New Head-Fier
Hi.

A few weeks ago I ordered Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii headphones. Initially, I wasn't very impressed. I was expecting more, but I enjoyed it. I used it for video and music use for a few weeks. Comfortable and I can throw them in a box without worrying about it much.

Today, my choice of an IEM came. I got the Sunrise SW-Xcape Impressive Edition for $90 on ebay from lendmeurears.

I came home and tried them. The sound was quite different than what I was used to. The HD 25-1 II sounded warm, smooth, and bassy. Really smooth all around. Even the guitar sounded kind of smooth to me. The SW-Xcape IE on the other hand sounded bright, detailed, and sparkly. The bass was light compared to the HD 25. At first I tried to get the bass to be better before I set it down. Later, I tried it again. I actually really like the sound. I did a comparison with the HD 25 one song after another and it was crazy how boring and deep er it sounded to me.

In ClieOS' review of these, he said they were warm and smooth. I didn't think so, but maybe I would have to burn them in for more.

I was thinking about buying a headphone for home use being better than the HD 25, which I might use for portable use and some home use. I was thinking of the sennheiser HD 650 headphones, but I read that the HD 650 is also warm, bassy, and smooth, which I don't seem to like much anymore.

What is a medium end open headphone for $300-$700 that would also be bright, detailed, and fun sounding that would also be significantly better than the HD 25-1 iis? I hear grados are bright, but I don't know much about them or how they sound overall.

Thanks.

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 18
Yes, Grados are kind of the anti-Sennheiser. They are very bright, aggressive, engaging and have that sparkly treble that you seem to like. Set a price that you're willing to spend, and then buy the best Grado you can. In your price range, the SR325i go for $300, the RS2i go for $500 and the RS1i go for $700. The $200 SR225i is the best plastic Grado and a great introduction to the sound.

I'm very much in the same camp as you in that I prefer a bright, engaging sound signature and stay away from the relaxed headphones. Grados and Ultrasones are my favorite house signatures. The AKG K701/K702/Q701 are also detail monsters, with bright sparkly treble, although they don't have that in-your-face sound that Grados are known for. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 18
It's funny that you don't find the hd-25-1 II's slightly bright. They are probably the brightest sennheisers out there. Nonetheless I would probably look into Grado's (sr-325i) or Beyerdynamic (dt-880).

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
It's funny that you don't find the hd-25-1 II's slightly bright. They are probably the brightest sennheisers out there. Nonetheless I would probably look into Grado's (sr-325i) or Beyerdynamic (dt-880).

Yeah I guess I do like bright things haha. I have limited testing options so I haven't tried many headphones. I think I'll take a risk and try the 325 , but I'll see. I'm listening to the xcape and it does actually sound smoother and warmer now. Do you think the sr60i has good enough sound quality for me to enjoy but still not sound low-end compared to the HD 25?

Agh so many of these reviews are mixed. This might take me a while to decide.

Thanks for the replies though.

Quest, thanks for the response. I'm thinking about the SR325i. Bright, aggresive, engaging, and sparkly really does seem to fit what I want. I think I'm getting closer to picking the 325i. Thanks!

Quote:
Yes, Grados are kind of the anti-Sennheiser. They are very bright, aggressive, engaging and have that sparkly treble that you seem to like. Set a price that you're willing to spend, and then buy the best Grado you can. In your price range, the SR325i go for $300, the RS2i go for $500 and the RS1i go for $700. The $200 SR225i is the best plastic Grado and a great introduction to the sound.

I'm very much in the same camp as you in that I prefer a bright, engaging sound signature and stay away from the relaxed headphones. Grados and Ultrasones are my favorite house signatures. The AKG K701/K702/Q701 are also detail monsters, with bright sparkly treble, although they don't have that in-your-face sound that Grados are known for. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #6 of 18
I have no experience with the sr60's. I started off with the sr-225i's. If you read the sr-60 thread you will find that it is quite easy to make the sr-60's sound significantly better than they cost.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
I have no experience with the sr60's. I started off with the sr-225i's. If you read the sr-60 thread you will find that it is quite easy to make the sr-60's sound significantly better than they cost.

I'm not much a do it yourself guy. I tried fixing my wireless clearchat headphones (I read that a lot of them had a problem with the left earcup that could be fixed by fixing the wire. I destroyed it somehow.

Although, how do you feel about the 225i? Do you have any other headphones to compare it too? Does it do good for it's price range? Is it fun to listen to and do they cause fatigue? Also I've heard that grado is uncomfortable, but is it that bad? I have a smallish head.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 18
Also, I notice that you have The Strokes as your avatar. May I add that The Strokes sound ridiculously good out of my Grados? I just got through listening to the Room On Fire album with my 225s. You simply cannot help but rock out with them on. It really excels with guitar-based rock music. The Strokes, Black Keys, Deerhoof, Hendrix, Zeppelin, White Stripes...

Regarding the comfort, I've read so many people complain, but I honestly have no issues with comfort whatsoever, but I've noticed that I'm not as sensitive as others in terms of comfort. The headphones are very light weight so they don't put too much stress on your ears. I can't imagine them being more uncomfortable than the HD25s. But then again, comfort is one of those things that you don't know until you try it. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #10 of 18
I love the bright aggressive sound of my Grado's as well.  I might also mention the Hifiman HE-5's, but for those you will need a sufficient amp to go along with them, but it is another option.

Edit:  Just wanted to add in that the only comfort issue I have with my Grado's is due to the fact that I wear glasses, and they do push my ears against them, but its honestly not too bad.....just make slight adjustments now and again and take a couple breaks.

Jun 28, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #11 of 18
Sony SA5000 is very detailed but I won't call it "fun". Audio Technica AD2000 is somewhat bright and great for rock and vocal, it is not as bright as some lower end Grados. Beyer DT880 is another great phone, overall more balanced but still on the bright side.

Jun 28, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #12 of 18
I hv 2 say D7000 is a really really good choice 4 u.. They are detailed with lots of defined bass. Good soundstage. And it's definitely fun. And they are really "open" though they are closed headphones. They are one of the most comfortable headphones I ever tried.

And more importantly, they are really really bright (at least IMO). U might even find it sometimes too bright. But since u like bright headphones.

At ur price range, this is probably the best u can get!

Jun 28, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #13 of 18
I listened to the strokes' room on fire a bit to get an understanding of your taste.
I'd like to put on another vote to the DT880. I have both SR325i and the DT880(250 version). Both are great cans. Dt880 are more neutral, wider soundstage and a bit stronger bass. Sr325i has great mids and decent bass. Between the two, only judgeing by one song and without my cans(i'm at work), i'd say DT880.

Comfortwise; The beyers are insanely comfortable. Grado's are less comfy but not bothersome to me. However with current temps(25 degrees centigrade and very damp) its not really pleasant to have things pressing on my ears.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #14 of 18
I agree but I would say HE5-LE, the only experience with grado I have are with the Sr89i and the HF-2, they were both bright but a little fatiguing (to me).  The HE5-LE is bright but is a lovely way. 

Quote:
I love the bright aggressive sound of my Grado's as well.  I might also mention the Hifiman HE-5's, but for those you will need a sufficient amp to go along with them, but it is another option.

Edit:  Just wanted to add in that the only comfort issue I have with my Grado's is due to the fact that I wear glasses, and they do push my ears against them, but its honestly not too bad.....just make slight adjustments now and again and take a couple breaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back