I Read the Guides Now What do I Pick
Apr 26, 2011 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

fx101

New Head-Fier
I'm looking at some Alessandro MS2i's currently and was wondering how they would sound for electronica/trance. Does anybody have experience with either these or the Grado 325i's for electronica?

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 9
I think most people wouldn't recommend 325i's for electronic music. I've heard that the aluminum caps lend to a very bright, almost harsh top end which would be very fatiguing for any type of electronic music. I would even say that most here wouldn't recommend Grados or Allesandros for electro but I absolutely love my Sr225i's. I listen a lot of ambient and IDM, and a TON of Autechre and Aphex Twin. It excels at that imo.

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 9
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529144/buying-headphones-seeking-guidance-don-t-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Apr 27, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #6 of 9
Ultrasone HFI 780  
L3000.gif

May 1, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 9
Well, I had a chance to sample a couple of different phones this weekend:
The Ultrasone 900
Beyerdynamic DT990 (250 ohm)
Pioneer HDJ-2000

It really boiled down to the Pro 900 vs. the DT990. The DT990's had a... certain musicality to them that really made any genre I threw at them pop. So... I'll be receiving them in the mail this week and post a review!

May 1, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 9
The sound was great and I really enjoyed the design. They are a little big, but light and extremely comfortable. I will be picking up some HD800's soon for more serious classical listening, but I wanted something I could wear at work for extended periods, not look hideous, and deliver a nice punch with electronica. 

For $400 the sound quality I experienced was a steal. I'd reckon you'd need to spend $5k+ for speakers (assuming you have a nice amp) to math the quality in these phones. 

My friend had an SPL Phonitor amp that he lent me to test the different headphones with. I could tell the amp really did deliver, but since I'm only starting to get into high-end headphones a ~$2k amp might be a bit much for starters. 

I'm toying with purchasing a Beyerdynamic A1 amp with them. I've heard good things about it, and the price is more than reasonable. Would this be a good match for the 990's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back