I need your help
Dec 3, 2012 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

McThunder

New Head-Fier
I've never had any money to spend on a good pair of headphones until now, so I'm very new to this and I need your help. I have AUD$400 to spend as I like, but there are only a bare handful of stores in my area that let you try headphones out, and most of them only have a couple to try, so I need to get an idea for which models I should keep an eye out for. 

I'm looking for a pair of over-ear headphones for general use. They'll be used mostly on the bus to and from uni and for long study sessions, so I need something that's very comfortable with good noise isolation/cancellation and minimal sound leakage. I listen to a large variety of music from classical to hip hop, so they'd have to have a pretty wide dynamic range on them. And because I'm extremely fickle, I would prefer a pair that look attractive or unique - sorry, sorry, I know, but if I'm wearing them in public I want them to look nice. If I were just using them at home it wouldn't matter.

I'm willing to consider anything up to my absolute limit of $450 (~USD$470) if they are amazing, but I would be far more comfortable in just the $400 range. Any other features besides those I've mentioned will be nice bonuses, but aren't essential.

You guys are the experts - any suggestions?

Thank you in advance. 

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 5
I'd suggest a Beyerdynamic DT1350. It's not over-ear but it fits every other qualification quite well, especially comfort.

The ATH-M50 might be another choice, but the bad midrange is what turns me off from it. It also sucks for classical (but does mostly everything else well).

Maybe a K240 Studio if you don't mind a mellow, laid-back presentation. They're semi-open but still have decent isolation, and are stupid comfy.

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 5
The new akg k167, the vmod m100, ath-es10 all look good and are more sleeker
Most of the other good ones look huge and/or ugly for portable use :frowning2:

Dec 31, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 5
I got these but I want it for listening to hip hop and rap :)

Addicted to Audio

Products
------------------------------------------------------
1 x Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Closed Reference Headphones (DT770PRO) = $249.00
Versions 80Ω + $0.00
1 x FiiO E17 USB DAC Headphone Amplifier (E17) = $139.95
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $388.95
Freight (): $0.00
Total: $388.95

free express shipping to Australia.

Dec 31, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 5
Hey Thunder, the Sennheiser Momentum sounds like it'd be right up your alley - you should be able to find it for less than its sticker price of 450 AUD (too high if you ask me) and ship it over to Aus.

They isolate well (not as much as IEMs but still good for portable use), don't leak a thing at the volumes I listen to, and are supremely comfortable IF your ears are about 70mm or less (top to bottom). Mine are 65mm and I couldn't ask for better comfort. They also look very cool, and are definitely attractively styled. They are easily used straight from your iPod or phone too, so if you ask me, the Momentum is a top contender on your short list provided you get a good price.

I love the sound of mine, and I'd describe them as warm, with bass a little bit north of neutral. The treble is very relaxing (non-sibilant), and the mids are wonderful to my ears. If you're not looking for skull thumping bass, they will do nicely for your hip-hop, and they should sound great across a whole range of genres, including classical. All in all, I think they're superbly balanced headphones with a slightly-too-small soundstage, and are very good among portable closed headphones in its price range.

I'm no audio expert, though, so try this review to find out more: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-adult-sennheiser-momentum-page-2

In Australia, you should be able to try them at JB Hi-Fi, which has them on display at most of its stores. However, their source is usually terrible so it's probably best to audition them to gauge comfort, isolation and how they look/feel for you. If your ears are small-to-average size, you will probably like these headphones, and they are well within your budget once you hunt for a deal. Good luck man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back