I need your help on this quest
Mar 31, 2016 at 7:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ubie

New Head-Fier
Hey all! I need your help in finding my next headphone. I came to you on reccomendation of a friend who said you guys helped him a lot in finding his next headphone, so I hope you will be able to help me in the same way.

My current headphone is a Marshall Mayor (wired, first edition, not the new Marshal Mayor II). But it's on it's last breath and now I'm looking for a replacement. My Marshall has been through a lot. I use it every day on my commute to work (doesn't matter the weather) and it's inline mic/music control is something I use a lot on my bike to work.

What am I looking for in my next heaphones? There are a few criteria:
  1. It has to be an over-ear headphone. This is the most important one. My current marshall is an on-ear model and it really hurts my ears when I wear it for a long period. (especially when I'm wearing my glasses)
  2. It needs to have a mic/control option.
  3. My budget is around $150. I can go a bit over that, but not by too much.

I have searched a bit on my own and these are some of the options I found:
  • Marshall Monitor: An over-ear variant of my current Marshall. I'm very satisfied of the build quality of my current one so hopefully this has the same.
  • Sony MDR-ZX770BN: A few reviews I read gave this one a pretty good score. It has a few nice extra's like optional bluetooth and noice canceling. 

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Mar 31, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 7
While I haven't used either headphone, one thing that is a plus for the Sony MDR-ZX770BN is that it can be used passively, so when the charge runs out, you can still go wired and still have music. You won't have the noise-cancelling or Bluetooth, but at least you'll still have audio. Granted, the Marshall Monitor doesn't have noise-cancelling or Bluetooth, so it's not a concern for that headphone either way.

Apr 4, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately is the AKG a bit above my budget. But I'm going to see if I can't up my budget a bit. Thanks again for the recommendations.

Apr 4, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #7 of 7
The earpads on my AKG K545 wore out totally, to the point the foam sticked out from the pleather, in a year or so. You probably won't find any online dealers who sell the original ear pads (correct me if i'm wrong). The part that keeps the cups on the headband/hinges got quite loose. I don't know if the jack is durable as I switched the original cables to a generic cheap one as I didn't need the mic nor the iOS controls. Otherwise still works fine, the adjusters are firm, and the sound didn't really change over the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back