I need some Audiophile superpowers helping me compare these headphones
Aug 8, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #16 of 23
I'd like to add that my limited experience with the HD 650 was heard through an Onkyo receiver which may not be saying much for hearing the actual headphones ability.

Most on Head-Fi seem to agree that the HD 650 needs a very good solid state amplifier to shine.

Just a quick reminder - what are you using as a source for these 3 x headphones?

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #17 of 23

Quote:
I'd like to add that my limited experience with the HD 650 was heard through an Onkyo receiver which may not be saying much for hearing the actual headphones ability.

Most on Head-Fi seem to agree that the HD 650 needs a very good solid state amplifier to shine.

Just a quick reminder - what are you using as a source for these 3 x headphones?

I must have missed that memo.
wink.gif

The HD650 sounds fine from my discrete solid state amp, but it's really elevated to another level by the tube laced goodness of the Lyr nuclear power plant. You may forgo some resolution, but the smoothness of the sound, the weight and impact, width of soundstage and accuracy of imaging, the textured and musical presentation gained is irresistible imo.

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #18 of 23
K601 being more well-rounded than the 595? I always thought it was a thin wiry sound signature, which has it's + and -.

Almost sounds like you're reviewing difference headphones lol

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #19 of 23
I do recall a fairly smooth sound with the HD 650.

The Schiit Lyr appears to be an uber amp for the money - $550AUD down here. Tube rolling options are a bonus.

Would pair well with the K601's but it could also blow the cups off my Grado collection!

Can't speak for the 595 but I would not regard my K601's as 'well rounded. Some say they can be used for all genres
but I keep them for classical, ambient and jazz, although the latter they do less well than my 325i's.

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #20 of 23
I just plug it into my pc and digital piano (headphone out). I have a M2N-E Motherboard with an onboard soundcard. No AMP as of yet ( considering the Fiio 9).

[size=12.0pt]I’m just a noob and have a hard time explaining the various sound differences, but I’ll do my best. Maybe a bit repetitive:

The Sennheiser; A lot comes at you with a lot of force but misses depth (soundstage), warmth and refinement. Like all the instruments are centred closely together. The akg 601 has a nice wide soundstage. It seems various sounds come from different places. I would describe the Sennheiser as tight and very energetic. Some music does sound better on these cans like various guitar and music with harmonica.

I know the AKG 601 will benefit from an amp, but I already like how it sounds the way it is (vocal could be more laid back and some extra bass would be nice). Maybe the sound is less upfront and into the face because it lacks amping, I don’t know.

It does sound like I am reviewing different headphones :wink: That's why I don't get a lot of things people say on these boards. I couldn't even really hear a big difference between the Sennheiser 201 and 598.. :/ Wish I could hear the same things you do.[/size]

Aug 8, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #21 of 23

Quote:
I just plug it into my pc and digital piano (headphone out). I have a M2N-E Motherboard with an onboard soundcard. No AMP as of yet ( considering the Fiio 9).

[size=12.0pt]I’m just a noob and have a hard time explaining the various sound differences, but I’ll do my best. Maybe a bit repetitive:

The Sennheiser; A lot comes at you with a lot of force but misses depth (soundstage), warmth and refinement. Like all the instruments are centred closely together. The akg 601 has a nice wide soundstage. It seems various sounds come from different places. I would describe the Sennheiser as tight and very energetic. Some music does sound better on these cans like various guitar and music with harmonica.

I know the AKG 601 will benefit from an amp, but I already like how it sounds the way it is (vocal could be more laid back and some extra bass would be nice). Maybe the sound is less upfront and into the face because it lacks amping, I don’t know.

It does sound like I am reviewing different headphones :wink: That's why I don't get a lot of things people say on these boards. I couldn't even really hear a big difference between the Sennheiser 201 and 598.. :/ Wish I could hear the same things you do.[/size]

Thats definitely good that you have your own opinion though. My ears have changed a lot since I was 17 and I joined this board so who knows how I feel about the K601 at this point.

Yes I feel that some people speak about headphones they've never owned or listened to by passing around the same conceptions about them that they read from other people. Now while this more or less works, it's really hard to gauge a headphone against others in it's price point. I want you to honestly like the K601 more than the 595. The HD5xx series has kind of rubbed me the wrong way in the past.

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #22 of 23
I do like the AKG 601 more than the Senn 595. I changed my mind about comfort too.

I think I will keep two headphones. What would be a better match for a wide range of music styles:

AKG 601 + Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro or AKG 601 + Sennheiser 595

I'll return in a week with my final conclusion.

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #23 of 23
So it's been a while. Each headphone has had 10 hours burn in.

And I am still puzzled. All I can say is that each song has its own preference. No consensus.

Do audiophiles change their headphones whenever they want to listen to a particular song that sounds better with one of their other headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back