I need some Audiophile superpowers helping me compare these headphones
Aug 6, 2011 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

DwightK

New Head-Fier
So, I bought the three headphones I was considering in my other posts;

-Akg 601
-Sennheiser 595
-Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro

I'll send two of them back to the store and get my money back.

I plugged them all in, the difference? I have no idea. Sure the Beyer has a bit more bass, the Senn seems to be more right in the face while the AKG is more laid back with more identifiable soundstage.. Overall? To me there isn't a big difference.

I need your super powers. How am I going to decide which one is best? Why can't I spot the difference? How can I compare them? I have read a lot of posts on here, but I can't relate whatsoever.

As stated before, I would like to use the headphone with music (acoustic, classical) and movies on my pc and also my digital piano.

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

-Akg 601
-Sennheiser 595
-Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro

I plugged them all in, the difference? I have no idea. Sure the Beyer has a bit more bass, the Senn seems to be more right in the face while the AKG is more laid back with more identifiable soundstage.. Overall? To me there isn't a big difference.

I need your super powers. How am I going to decide which one is best? Why can't I spot the difference? How can I compare them? I have read a lot of posts on here, but I can't relate whatsoever.

As stated before, I would like to use the headphone with music (acoustic, classical) and movies on my pc and also my digital piano.

Any difference you read on this forum, reduce it by a factor of ten. "Night and day" differences are subtleties, "subtle" differences are mostly in the head.

Pick the headphone you like the most right now and spend 10 hours with it. Then switch to one of the others. The differences will be more noticeable then. Repeat with all of them, then decide what fits your tastes.

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 23

Quote:

-Akg 601
-Sennheiser 595
-Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro

I'd suggest that you grab a few of your favourite records, and sit back and enjoy the music with the cans, one at a time. Then grab a nice playlist of your favourite tracks, and do the same thing. Give them each some time, and keep whatever makes the music enjoyable. If none of them do anything in particular for you, return all of them. Just don't keep swapping cans all the time. Your head needs time to adjust to the differences between the cans (just my experience, no hard facts behind it.)

EDIT: I write too slowly, ending up as number two with identical advice :)

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #4 of 23
Give it some more time, listen to it without specifically looking for something or trying to understand how they sound, just enjoy the sound and then just pick the one you like the most and be done with it, seriously. To me you dont sound as someone who cares a lot about the tiny little differences (All relative) in audio.

Aug 7, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #7 of 23
I like the idea of the DT990 out of those three, but thats just my personal opinion. The K601 was too light on bass and felt otherwise undynamic, I wasn't listening to them on the most ideal system back in the day but I still felt I got a somewhat accurate representation of what they'd sound like in full force.

I don't think the 595 can stand up to the other two, it's just a 555 on 'roids.

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #9 of 23
Thank you for all the responses; much appreciated.

I can try them on for two weeks. I’ll wear every headphone for 10 hours and then change them around as advised.

First impression:

Akg 601- Warmer, fuller and more rounded than the Sennheiser 595

Sennheiser 595- Most comfortable of the two, thinner sounding than the AKG 601, less bass than the Beyer’s, not laid back as the other two, more into the “face” and forward, less defined than the AKG.

Beyerdynamic 990- Best bass, but maybe it overshadows/overlays the mids and highs a bit too much, less defined than the above two headphones.

I'll be back with more in a couple of days.

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #10 of 23

Quote:

I can try them on for two weeks. I’ll wear every headphone for 10 hours and then change them around as advised.

First impression:

Sennheiser 595- Most comfortable of the two, thinner sounding than the AKG 601, less bass than the Beyer’s, not laid back as the other two, more into the “face” and forward, less defined than the AKG.

Beyerdynamic 990- Best bass, but maybe it overshadows/overlays the mids and highs a bit too much, less defined than the above two headphones.

The AKG K601 willbe better match for these genres music and it will improve more with AMPs help.

Aug 8, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #11 of 23
I was thinking about buying the fiio e9 with the AKG, but at the moment I don't need extra volume. Maybe a bit more bass, but this can only be accomplished with a DAC, right? Will I get more refinement with an amp or only volume?

The AKG 601 goes deeper (more layered) than the Sennheiser 595, but the vocals seem to be more forward than de Sennheiser 595? Is this a right assumption?

About the "Night and day differences" between headphones; Will the Sennheiser 650 be a BIG difference, Or just really subtle? I was thinking about keeping two headphones, but if I do, would I be better be off with only one; like the Sennheiser 650?

Aug 8, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #12 of 23
An amplifier will really flesh out the bass impact of the K601's. Add a bit of EQ and they can hit with tight authority on the right track.

Remember the biggest misconception is that an amplifier will simply add volume, it is more about refined control and impact of things like bass.

A nice DAC will also help with detail retrieval along with impact and sound-stage to a certain extent.

Senns generally like to place the listener in the middle row from my limited listening experience with them.

Without a really stellar amplifier, you might find the 650's less airy than the K601's.

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #13 of 23
Thank you.

I read about the Sennheisers putting the listener in the middle row. I like it better if the vocals are a bit more recessed/laid back than the AKG 601, but there isn't as much depth in the Sennheiser as the AKG 601. Are the vocals indeed more upfront/punchy? Or does it sound like that because the AKG has more depth? Maybe i'm just imagining it and the difference in vocals are subtle.

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #14 of 23
All about perceptions and preferences at the end of the day. I found the HD 650 to be inherently more bassy and punchy than my K601, but I'm a sucker for the spacious sound of the K601 for ambient music mainly. My 325i takes care of my rock and jazz affliction with 'punch in the face' aplomb.

Don't forget about the HD 600 which is meant to be more neutral than it's 650 sibling. Yet to try it myself.

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #15 of 23

Quote:

First impression:

well first of all, how's the 595 be in ur face? most sennheiser phones are laid back, although they tend to bring out more vocal rather than the background, 
given the light bass of K601, how's there mids be fuller?
There won't be much night and day difference unless you are willing to shot for the flagships. Sonic difference is more obvious than than the technical improvement. What's ur system? amp? source? 
If you only plan to get a budget amp, i'd say hd600 would be the better one, unless you are considering of getting a nice amp than the HD650 has more value. 
More laid back vocal? Try some denon 2000/5000 than, or maybe ultrastone pro 900. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back