I need help to buy my ideal headphones, for Rock and Metal, between $150 and $200.
Sep 26, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #61 of 61
I'll throw in a vote for the Sennheiser Amperior. I bought it to use at work for isolation, but use it more for "on the go", especially traveling and when I want really fun, energetic sound. I've seen lightly used units selling in your price range (I paid $350 for mine new, which was too much IMHO), and it would be worth investigating if you've not auditioned them before.

These headphones are perfect for metal and pop. Very clear, bright (but not too bright to my ear) treble and a quick, clear bass reproduction that is in no way muddy. Tracks with kick drum and articulated bass lines are a joy. I've compared to the V-Moda, Bose, and Audio Technica in the same price range and find the sound more engaging on the Amperiors. My wife and workmates can attest to very little, if any, sound leakage at normal listening volumes. The construction is very durable -- the cups are aluminum and the body is based on a 20-plus year old design -- if that is of concern.

The only disadvantages, to me, are the narrow sound stage, some congestion in the midrange, and the strong clamping force. I have a largish head, and it took months of break-in before I felt comfortable wearing these for more than an hour at a time. But those are trade-offs I can accept in a portable, on-ear headphone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back