I need help to buy my ideal headphones, for Rock and Metal, between $150 and $200.
Sep 10, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #31 of 61

I recently bought Sennheiser's 598 and I loved them! But returned them since they leak a LOT of sound and a LOT of sound came in. So maybe i'm looking for something decently isolating and noice cancelling. 

I like clear sounds, not too mid muffled, I also love bass, but nothing too crazy! Maybe something a bit plain with a bit rock punch, like nice clear bass, clear vocals and a heavy snare on songs. Maybe i'm making it too complicated to choose lol, but I just really don't know which ones to get, you guys could help me so much!

Beyerdynamic DT-250's.

80 ohm if you're using something like an iPhone as a source, 250 ohm if you're using a desktop amp or stereo receiver.

I have an 80 ohm pair at work out of a mini3 and a 250 ohm pair at home out of a receiver, and they sound good with literally everything except bad recordings. They've also lasted over five years of hard use.

Very good isolation for how light they are, and the velour pads are quite comfortable.

They look sort of, er, industrial though - I like it, but you might not.

Sep 10, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #33 of 61
Beyerdynamic DT-250's.

80 ohm if you're using something like an iPhone as a source, 250 ohm if you're using a desktop amp or stereo receiver.

I have an 80 ohm pair at work out of a mini3 and a 250 ohm pair at home out of a receiver, and they sound good with literally everything except bad recordings. They've also lasted over five years of hard use.

Very good isolation for how light they are, and the velour pads are quite comfortable.

+1

Sep 10, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #34 of 61
Beyerdynamic DT-250's.

Do you think 80ohms would be enough for using without and amp? I think they look pretty good! I like them, I'm way more about sound than looks though

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #35 of 61
Do you think 80ohms would be enough for using without and amp? I think they look pretty good! I like them, I'm way more about sound than looks though

The 80 ohm version will work fine unamped, depending on the device (some devices have overall mediocre headphone output - and they won't sound stellar there, but this is a problem for most any headphones). I think they're a little better amped, but mostly I use the mini3 because I had it (I was originally intending to use it for something else... I think. It was a while ago).

I have listened to the DT250-80's right out of an iPhone, for example, and they sounded great. What is your source?

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #36 of 61
The 80 ohm version will work fine unamped, depending on the device (some devices have overall mediocre headphone output - and they won't sound stellar there, but this is a problem for most any headphones). I think they're a little better amped, but mostly I use the mini3 because I had it (I was originally intending to use it for something else... I think. It was a while ago).

I have listened to the DT250-80's right out of an iPhone, for example, and they sounded great. What is your source?

I use a nexus 5 mostly! I tried the senns hd598 which are 50 ohms I think and it wasn't enough volume for me, I think I needed an amp! I'm maybe looking for 32 ohms. That's why I'm kinda leaning a little towards the hp150, and I like bright sounds with nice bass, I'm not a huge fan of mids although I love listening to guitars. I've tried a few headphones that maybe are too flat and the mids are a bit high for me. Preferred if they're closed.

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #37 of 61
those look fine, more like most of sony units look something like that anyway, from the 7506 to the current v55 and mdr 1r. lol

TS: anything under 80 ohms would probably work with an iphone or any portable source player, direct from pc then no problem.

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #38 of 61
those look fine, more like most of sony units look something like that anyway, from the 7506 to the current v55 and mdr 1r. lol

TS: anything under 80 ohms would probably work with an iphone or any portable source player, direct from pc then no problem.

What Sony's do you recommend for $200? Like a specific model so I can read about it and see them! Thanks for your help man, I really appreciate it

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #39 of 61
There's more to the equation that just impedance (ohms) - sensitivity is a factor too.

That said, the HD 598 is pretty sensitive, isn't it? I haven't heard a pair.

You don't need as much volume in a closed pair of headphones, though - I suggest listening quiet enough you can still hear your fingers snap next to the earcup.

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #40 of 61
There's more to the equation that just impedance (ohms) - sensitivity is a factor too.

That said, the HD 598 is pretty sensitive, isn't it? I haven't heard a pair.

You don't need as much volume in a closed pair of headphones, though - I suggest listening quiet enough you can still hear your fingers snap next to the earcup.

What do you think about soundmagic hp150? Or Sony's? Or beyerdynamic?

Sep 10, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #41 of 61
I use a nexus 5 mostly! I tried the senns hd598 which are 50 ohms I think and it wasn't enough volume for me, I think I needed an amp! I'm maybe looking for 32 ohms. That's why I'm kinda leaning a little towards the hp150, and I like bright sounds with nice bass, I'm not a huge fan of mids although I love listening to guitars. I've tried a few headphones that maybe are too flat and the mids are a bit high for me. Preferred if they're closed.

The sensitivity of the dt250s have much lower sensitivity (12db lower than the hd598s. Youll definetly need an amp)

Sep 10, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #42 of 61
What do you think about soundmagic hp150? Or Sony's? Or beyerdynamic?

Never heard the soundmagic.

In Beyer's line, I've had DT990's (250 ohm; way too bright), DT 770 pros (80 ohm; way too much bass), and both 250 and 80 ohm 250s. The 250's (both flavors) stayed, the others didn't.

I had a pair of Sony v6/7506's way back when, I disliked the treble (too much for me). Probably easy to drive, though.

If you're dead set on that source, I'd suggest looking at headphones designed with something like that in mind, like the Sennheiser momentums and other similar products - big beefy closed headphones designed for home listening tend to need amping, and by focusing on those headphones you might be making things more complicated than they need to be.

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #43 of 61
You think grado would suit me better than songmagic for what I'm looking for? Thank you

If you love rock/metal, then most definitely I'd look into a Grado. If you can snag an SR225e, go for it! After that, I'd wait until you're in RS1 territory.

Was just about to ask why someone looking for cans for rock didn't have a single Grado on his to-hear list...

I was surprised too! 
blink.gif

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #45 of 61
If you love rock/metal, then most definitely I'd look into a Grado. If you can snag an SR225e, go for it! After that, I'd wait until you're in RS1 territory.

I was surprised too! :blink:

He's looking for isolation, though.

Its true, I'm looking for some isolation! Doesn't have to be 100% but not as bad as open headphones like the hd598. I'm reading at the soundmagic and they seem good for me. What you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back