I need help deciding! ATH-M50 vs. Ultrasone HFI-450
Sep 21, 2010 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tuffguyblake

New Head-Fier
Which one should I get??

I am looking for some under 100$ headphones with powerful bass.  I am upgrading from my sennheiser hd202's, so I am hoping one of these will outdo those in terms of overall sound quality, not just bass.

I'll be plugging these straight into my ipod classic and iphone, so which one would be better for that? I'll also occasionally watch movies on my laptop.

As for the ATH-M50's, will they have a similiar sound signature as the ATH-CK7 earbuds? I know its wrong to compare earbuds to full-sized headphones, but I used to own the CK7's but returned them because they had too sharp of highs for me.....will i get that same problem with the M50's? Is that just part of audio-technica's sound sig?

Any help would be awesome, thanks!

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #2 of 4
this ones a no contest. the m50 beats the hfi450 in every way. sound, comfort, stage, easier to drive. 
havent heard the ck7 iem, but the m50 is warm, large, bassy sound

Sep 22, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
As for the ATH-M50's, will they have a similiar sound signature as the ATH-CK7 earbuds? I know its wrong to compare earbuds to full-sized headphones, but I used to own the CK7's but returned them because they had too sharp of highs for me.....will i get that same problem with the M50's? Is that just part of audio-technica's sound sig?

I don't find the highs on the M50 to be sharp at all.  The only beef I had with the highs at first was a slight brittleness, but that went away fairly quickly as they burned in.  For ~ $100 they are really a great all-around headphone - they don't need amplification, they isolate pretty well so you can use them in a less than quiet environment, and they work with a variety of musical genres.

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 4
Grab the M50's and throw some Shure 840 or 440 pads on them.  (I prefer the 440 pads)  These and the HD25-I-II are two cans that i just can't stop listening to right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back