I Need A New Set Of Cans
Oct 9, 2010 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

whirlwind

Headphoneus Supremus
I have just built a new pc, and the main purpose for it is my music.

I am using the Asus Xonar Essence ST souncard and Audioengine 5 speakers.

I am playing my music back as FLAC files, and I am totally impressed with the clear, clean sound that I am getting.

I want a good set of headphones that will pair well with my set-up.

I listen to all kinds of music....classic rock is my favorite.

I want the headphones to go over my ear......I guess I would be ok with open cans as long as they dont let too much noise in....I currenty use Audio-Technica ATH-700 cans on my other pc, and i like the closed idea as I get fully immersed.

My new set up will be able to take a better set of cans, at least I think so........the speakers have a built in amp and my souncard also has one for head phones.

Budget around $300 unless the quality jump is so great that it is a much better deal.

Thanks for any help and if you need any more info....let me know.

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #2 of 13
Almost any open can will let sound in but they generally sound better overall.  If you get a closed can the Beyerdynamc DT250 80 ohm would be nice upgrade from the A700 and sound better than some lower priced alternatives (M50, SRH440, etc.).  If you decide to go open then look into the Audio Technica AD900 or Beyerdynamic DT440.

Oct 9, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 13
Thanks, for your thought....I will check them out....anybody else have any suggestions....please chime in.....are more ohms necesarily better....the card says it will power 600ohm cans.

Oct 9, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
Thanks, for your thought....I will check them out....anybody else have any suggestions....please chime in.....are more ohms necesarily better....the card says it will power 600ohm cans.

Nope. More ohms does not mean they are better despite what some will say on here. Also the amp in the ST is not going to drive cans such as the DT770, DT990, DT880, K701, HD600, HD650, or any other hard to drive headhones anyway (at least no where near as well as a desktp amp wouold) so no need to worry about it either way.

Oct 9, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 13
OK...Thanks......anybody else have any other suggestions

Oct 9, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 13
Since you asked, I'd suggest the Sennheiser HD25 1 II. I think they are just quite pleasurable to listen to, especially the bass, which is smooth but yet punchy, easy to drive and portable, works great with MP3 players. The only downside is that they look more like a toy than a pair of 'professional' headphones.

Quote:
OK...Thanks......anybody else have any other suggestions

Oct 9, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 13
Oct 9, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #9 of 13
Would the Grado SR325i be overkill for my system, or would these be good.

Oct 9, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 13
For your budget I'd recommend used HD600.  I find that open headphones (I've owned SR60, SR225, RS-1, HF-1, HD600) generally outperform closed headphones (owned DT250, DT770, K271, SRH840, D5000) with the exception of D7000 which are much more expensive.  The Grados are all sharper in sound , and they have to be tamed with tubes which also gets expensive.  The softer sound of the HD600 vs Grados means that they can be worn forever and they also have much better soundstage.  About the 600 ohm claim, connect your card to a stereo, and if the added amplification out the stereo plug improves the bass and definition of those or any other headphones then the card doesn't have adequate amplification (also applies to low ohm headphones, my DT770-80 improved most dramatically with amplification).  If the sound is the same then it does and you're golden.

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #12 of 13
I second the HD600s (or HD650s if you can find one in your price range). You can listen to them for literally forever, they're great with virtually every genre, and will be a massive step up above your current setup. And about the soundcard, I doubt it is actually powerful enough to properly drive the HD6xx's, but you'll notice an improvement over what you've got now, and you can always step up to a proper amp when you have the funds and then you can start to enjoy more of the goodness the HD6xx series can really offer.

Oct 12, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #13 of 13
I guess those would be good also....I just have my heart set on the Grados

Users who are viewing this thread

Back