I Love Wal-Mart
Oct 8, 2004 at 12:31 PM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
damn! nice score!

meanwhile, walmart continues to pay mexicans under the counter 3 dollars an hour, monopolize the market and spread the urban sprawl like the cancer it is!

woohoo!

(on a side note, that is seriously cool that you got a good price, but it came with a price)

This is why I won't shop at Walmart. I don't reward business practices that will do anything for profit no matter what damage to the local community.

Oct 8, 2004 at 12:52 PM Post #32 of 46
To me, buying & selling is based on an agreement. Unless there is some kind of diminished mental capacity happening on either side, I think I can assume that a posted price is intentional. If you found an Orpheus system at a yard sale for $10, would you feel compelled to correct the seller? As far as the Walmart sale is concerned, I don't see a reason to point it out to the cashier who probably couldn't care less anyway.

Getting back incorrect change is a different story altogether. The cashier is usually responsible for their cash drawer, and probably would appreciate the correction. I would give back the money in such a case.

Anyway, congrats on your Walmart find. Enjoy it in good health!

Oct 8, 2004 at 2:17 PM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledge
This is why I won't shop at Walmart. I don't reward business practices that will do anything for profit no matter what damage to the local community.

I go into my local Walmart and the employees seem happy, they dont look deprived. If I can get a better price on something and it doesnt appear to be hurting anyone then that's whats gonna happen.

FreAk
580smile.gif

Oct 8, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
If you found an Orpheus system at a yard sale for $10, would you feel compelled to correct the seller?

If you found a new Orpheus at your local church bazaar priced for sale at $10, would you feel compelled to inquire of the seller whether there was possibly a mistake?

Oct 8, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Disagree. Right is right and wrong is still wrong. Morally and ethically, I think you stand up and do what's right. I won't get into religion but it's what He would have us do. Tests come in every form.

mm, so you are disagreeing that -one must pay for their own mistakes- ? moral & ethics are subjective and varies from one to another, and the best example, you and me. however, the statement -one must pay for their own mistake- is rather universal. simply means you gotta be responsible for what you do.

Oct 8, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Disagree. Right is right and wrong is still wrong. Morally and ethically, I think you stand up and do what's right. I won't get into religion but it's what He would have us do. Tests come in every form.

that has absolutely nothing at all to do with walking into a store and buying a product for the price that the store has set. you aren't cheating anybody, you aren't lying or misdirecting your way down to a lower price.. you asked the store clerk how much an item costs, he gives you the price, and you buy it for that price - if that price happens to be universally outrageously low, awesome.

the thing about walking off and not saying anything when the cashier gives you back too much money, that's a completely different scenario. if you walk out of the store with conscious knowledge that the cashier accidentally just gave you 100$ too much in change, then yeah that would be pretty dishonest and messed up on your part.

the two scenarios are NOT the same, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the former.

Oct 8, 2004 at 7:27 PM Post #37 of 46
and btw, its a fine line between right & wrong. what you perceive as right can be perceive as wrong by another & vice versa.

its all about the point of view, not everybody share the same view
wink.gif
these forums is one good example of that.

Oct 8, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by supahfreak
I go into my local Walmart and the employees seem happy, they dont look deprived. If I can get a better price on something and it doesnt appear to be hurting anyone then that's whats gonna happen.

FreAk
580smile.gif

You should ask one of the butchers working at the meat counter at your super wal-mart how happy they are. Oh wait, there aren't any of them because they switched to butcherless meat departments and fired all of them when they talked about unionizing. You could also ask the employees who are coerced into working overtime off the clock but they either act happy about it or get fired, which is why all the people in the store are acting happy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, Wal-Mart knows what they are doing, they make lots of money, don't feel bad for them based on how they priced something. I used to work at a department store where discontinued items would take price reductions at 50% off the current price periodically until they hit .70 or something like that. Sometimes things would get misplaced and actually remain in the store until the price got that low. This nomad might have been similar, wedged in between some shelves in the stockroom for a year after it gets discontinued, someone finds it and puts it in the case without checking the price and stickering it, customer gets lucky. No wrong doing on anyone's part.

Oct 8, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #39 of 46
Can't we all just get along!?!?

He got a great deal on a ZEN, and I for one wish I had gotten
that luck as well. I'm sure many of you feel the same way.

Walmart is a large corporation with lots of employees. I work in a large corporation with lots of employees as well. Guess what, we all act happy when we're not. Why? It's simple really. Money! Money buys the batteries that make the world go 'round!

If their overpaid, underpaid, forced into slavery, or what have you, big deal. This is a board about audio stuff.

If you don't like the way a store or company does it's business, don't give them your money. Vote with your dollars, that's part of the free market system. If you want to get lucky with a good deal, search every business around you for mis-marked daps, and have fun.

Sorry for bitching, I held off as much as I cold. When someone mentioned religion and being tested, I almost went off with guns a blazin'. I decided to let it slide, but people are still whining.

This whole things leaves a couple of questions to be asked:

Head Creep,
How's the new Zen treating you, and do you wear the beanie while you're listening to it?
icon10.gif
wink.gif
cool.gif
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif

Oct 8, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #40 of 46
I worked at Wal-Mart in the electronics department for about a year. The managers were horrible, but they don't underpay anyone.

Oct 8, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #41 of 46
My mother in law works at a Walmart and she is neither deprived nor Mexican... but this is Canada... who knows what you people are doing down there in the States.
biggrin.gif

You want a real evil organization... Pizza Pizza... never heard of it? Not suprised... it is only in Ontario. The reason? Ontario is one of the only places in North America where you are not legaly required to devulge the names of your shareholders. Sounds fishy to me. And why exactly havent they spread across Canada in the same way that they have here? They also have highly suspect hireing process.

Gotta love that dipping sauce though.
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #42 of 46
$10? Damn that's insane.

Oct 9, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
If you found a new Orpheus at your local church bazaar priced for sale at $10, would you feel compelled to inquire of the seller whether there was possibly a mistake?

That's an unfair comparison. The church function would be for charity, where you'd want them to get as much money as possible. The yard sale, unless it's under very odd circumstances, is just a way to get rid of stuff and make some cash in the process. There's a much heavier moral and ethical obligation when it comes to the church.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffS
Head Creep,
How's the new Zen treating you, and do you wear the beanie while you're listening to it?

Too hot to wear the beanie right now. The Zen had its first day out today, and it worked great. On-the-fly playlists are great, it's something I thought I'd never use but now find using almost too much.

Oct 9, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
That's an unfair comparison. The church function would be for charity, where you'd want them to get as much money as possible. The yard sale, unless it's under very odd circumstances, is just a way to get rid of stuff and make some cash in the process. There's a much heavier moral and ethical obligation when it comes to the church.

I don't agree. To me, acting with the utmost honesty and integrity should not depend on who is on the other side of the transaction. One should act with integrity in all situations. I am not suggesting by this statement that you did not or that you did anything wrong. I am just suggesting that those who have implied that it would be ok as a general proposition to take advantage of Wal-Mart or one of its clerks for the variety of reasons that have been suggested (some of which are absurd), but perhaps not other stores or vendors, are guilty of a rather facile rationalization. It's the same type of rationalization that leads people to think it's ok to cheat on their taxes. Well, I guess that's enough moralizing for now.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back