I love minidisc - is that weird?
Feb 12, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #46 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mz rh1 ftw, minidisc sounds freakin gorgeous with a lush velvety warmth other daps have yet to give me.

You said it!

I'm playing mine side by side with the fabulous Sharp MD MT888 and the Hi-Md really really is lush warm without extreme end fatigue
beerchug.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #47 of 243
I'm on CDs in an age most people around me have Ipods and use Itunes. Good downloads these days are depending on the source 320 kbps.

I still prefer my CDs. I never was in to Mini-Disc for normal CDs worked for me. Cool your digging those Mini-Discs. I heard tapes are cool too...

Feb 13, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #48 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is a NW-HD5?

You mean the C-net August 2005 Editors' Choice Award-winning Sony Network Walkman model NW-HD5.....

watch and learn:

Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV

....and if you think the SQ is that great with the supplied buds, how about when you use an aftermarket pair like my cling-wrap-modded Sony MDR-EX90SL IEM's (see this link to learn the cling-wrap mod http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...thread-193464/) (bliss!!!!), and even team it up with the highly-acclaimed and highly-recommended Sony RM-MC40ELK inline remote (Sony doesn't tell you that you can use a remote with it, but, it actually works better with one) as the unit's (HD5's) buttons have been known to crack, in particular on the center button cluster, which surrounds the play/pause button.

I use it (The HD5) as the receiver unit while the MZ-RH1 is used as the uploader to load my legacy discs to SonicStage CP v4.2 before spilling them out.

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #49 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm on CDs in an age most people around me have Ipods and use Itunes. Good downloads these days are depending on the source 320 kbps.

I still prefer my CDs. I never was in to Mini-Disc for normal CDs worked for me. Cool your digging those Mini-Discs. I heard tapes are cool too...

I prefer vinyl LP > CDs > Minidisc > iTunes.

Not so keen on taking CDs around with me. I scratched the originals over the years doing that. A while back I bought a Panasonic:

bc4c36c622a0ee8097897110.L._SL500_AA254_.jpg

This is my first portable CD player upgrade since the Sony DEJ01 Anniversary edition. Its sound quality is nowhere near as good as the Sony, nor even my 18 year old Technics portable players. It does stop skipping though. My mini-disc player is more warm and engaging than the CD player too. If this is the standard of portable CD quality amps, I'm not surprised people are migrating over to iTunes and other digital media
frown.gif

I'm just getting back into modifying my MiniDisc library with essential travelling tracks. My mini-fi tape cassette players are still hooked up to the bedroom hi-fi. There's something lovely and fuller-bodied about analogue music like cassettes. I wouldn't want it to be my only medium. Having 4 is enough though.

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #50 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperDuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the software really that bad? I haven't decided if I want to get it.

It's fine once you get onto Sonicstage 3.4 or later.

I still don't really use computer software to download tracks though. I have an 80GB iPod which is almost full of music (Apple Lossless).

If you get a Hi-Md player, you might as well get a hi-end one and enjoy it more. The whole reason why I like MD is its high quality design; the high fidelity recording possibilities; the high end dac and amp too. It seems counter-intuitive to get a cheapy entry level one just to get a foot in...?

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #51 of 243
Quote:

You mean the C-net August 2005 Editors' Choice Award-winning Sony Network Walkman model NW-HD5.....

watch and learn:

Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV

Lol - thanks for the education
biggrin.gif

It looks good. Does it sound anywhere near as good as MD or Hi-MD though?

I don't understand this obsession with size either. Marketing wants people to have their big 4x4 cars and smaller and smaller gadgets. Palm size is good for me. CD players are kind of saucer plate size - just beyond reach. iPod shuffles are good for Thumbelinas.

Feb 17, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #52 of 243
About 8 years ago, a friend of mine from Belgium went to vacation in Bangkok and brought his NetMD recorder with him and ended up recording about 7 hours total of street noises.

Back then I was still making electronic music, so he sent me his MDs so I could sample them (which I did) because he sold his player/recorder.

Last weekend, after being asked for the last 5 years to send him wave recordings of those MDs, I finally did. I plugged my CD/MD deck to my laptop and recorded away.

While I was doing so, I decided to listen to my old MDs on my also old MZ-N505 portable player with my AKG k319... My jaw dropped. I added a touch of MegaBass (level one), my jaw dropped lower. After about 2 years of iPod, this was... refreshing.

I just started recording MDs in SP mode (I have about a hundred of those anyway) by using my CD/MD deck to sync and I've been caught in music bliss.

Heck, I was tempted to buy an Hi-MD model (MZ-M200) but since I own so many regular MDs, figured it wouldn't be worth it. So I decided to buy the matching remote I always wanted but never bought (RM-MC11EL).

Boy, do I love the SQ or what...

And like the OP says, I love the physical interaction of the disc, and if I had any friends with MD players, the social interaction of exchanging MDs (kinda like mix tapes of my good ol' youth
biggrin.gif
). I remember going for all those different MD limited edition designs
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll bring my MZ-N505 to work once I receive the remote, and show the kids at work what's a true audio marvel (and will probably get laughed at
biggrin.gif
).

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #54 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkangel9685 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still love my minidisc as well

even stranger....I love sonicstage! Preferred over itunes any day

(if you dont kow what sonicstage is, you've never used a MD player)

I was thinking of installing it, but after the experience with my Sony eReader and its horrible software, wasn't so sure...

Can SonicStage copy CDs to MDs in 4x mode? Or does that depend on your MD player?

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #55 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking of installing it, but after the experience with my Sony eReader and its horrible software, wasn't so sure...

Can SonicStage copy CDs to MDs in 4x mode? Or does that depend on your MD player?

IIRC it depends on the player, but dont quote me on that

Feb 18, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #56 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkangel9685 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC it depends on the player, but dont quote me on that

I installed it and tried some 320kbps mp3s instead. My unit is an old USB 1.1 device, so uploading and converting takes like 30 mins for a 70 mins album, but it works... And even considering the re-compression to 292kbp/s in another format, it sounds reaaaallly good still. I think I'll skip CDs and go straight from mp3s in Stereo Mode... with lots of patience
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #57 of 243
(if you dont kow what sonicstage is, you've never used a MD player)

Haha. And if you've never heard a vinyl player, you don't know what music is?
biggrin.gif

I love my MD player - as for Sonicstage....it's useful if you use a computer as an interface to download or rip music?

A few questions - I notice I can record higher than 320kbps on Sonicstage. Is this the true bit rate without recompression on Linear PCM mode? Or is it possible to use the >320kbps rates on standard minidiscs with shorter minidisc time/length?

How do I copy FLAC files onto minidisc?

Well, I'm trying to get into Sonicstage but I still prefer my minidisc and optical cable. Caveman technology I know, but it works for me
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #58 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About 8 years ago, a friend of mine from Belgium went to vacation in Bangkok and brought his NetMD recorder with him and ended up recording about 7 hours total of street noises.

Back then I was still making electronic music, so he sent me his MDs so I could sample them (which I did) because he sold his player/recorder.

Last weekend, after being asked for the last 5 years to send him wave recordings of those MDs, I finally did. I plugged my CD/MD deck to my laptop and recorded away.

While I was doing so, I decided to listen to my old MDs on my also old MZ-N505 portable player with my AKG k319... My jaw dropped. I added a touch of MegaBass (level one), my jaw dropped lower. After about 2 years of iPod, this was... refreshing.

I just started recording MDs in SP mode (I have about a hundred of those anyway) by using my CD/MD deck to sync and I've been caught in music bliss.

Heck, I was tempted to buy an Hi-MD model (MZ-M200) but since I own so many regular MDs, figured it wouldn't be worth it. So I decided to buy the matching remote I always wanted but never bought (RM-MC11EL).

Boy, do I love the SQ or what...

And like the OP says, I love the physical interaction of the disc, and if I had any friends with MD players, the social interaction of exchanging MDs (kinda like mix tapes of my good ol' youth
biggrin.gif
). I remember going for all those different MD limited edition designs
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll bring my MZ-N505 to work once I receive the remote, and show the kids at work what's a true audio marvel (and will probably get laughed at
biggrin.gif
).

You're psyching me up to break out my old Sony R900 MD.

Feb 19, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #59 of 243
+1 to everything said in this thread so far! Just for the heck of it, I just checked the stock at my favorite retailer, and they had the MZ-RH1 in stock... too bad they are still charging 39,800 JPY for it....

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #60 of 243
Is that a lot?

A mint slightly used boxed one sold here for £140 UK sterling.

That's fabulous if you think about the cost of a iPod or other MP3 player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back