I love minidisc - is that weird?
Mar 2, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #77 of 243
By all means. technology has somehow taken a step back in regards to sound or with sound devices.

I sold my whole CD collection once thinking that backing it up and having them in MP3 format would be grand.

BIG MISTAKE.

I should have backed all of my Originally CD collection to Minidisc since I had a nice Sony MDS-JB920 deck which I sold later but only had few recorded on MD.

This was back in 2001. Just last year I bought a portable MD from a co-worker that was selling it, a 510 model. Popped in the available Minidiscs that I had and wow!!! It DESTROYS any MP3 and IPOD for sound quality! It was good to put the Sennheisers HD238 to the test and I can't be happier!

I also recently bought a Mz-M200 (which is also the same as the RH1) and again, THE SOUND, is just FANTASTIC and truly a rediscovering sound again! I now just use my IPHONE for Podcasts and some video but no music.

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #78 of 243
Quote:

I sold my whole CD collection once thinking that backing it up and having them in MP3 format would be grand.

Wowsers! What a terrible thing
frown.gif

My parents did that with the vinyl LP player I listened to as a kid. It took me another 15 years to get my own. Learnt that way, that new is not best. Then, it was goodbye vinyl! Cassette tape was here! Lol. In retrospective, we see how easily technology's manufacturers manipulate us into spending more and more; 'upgrading' and upgrading.

I can imagine the thrill of the MZ-M200 you describe over the MP3/iPod combo. I had the same welcome surprise shocker when listening to my MZ-RH1. My iPod only gets used when I travel and every gram counts!

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #79 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can imagine the thrill of the MZ-M200 you describe over the MP3/iPod combo. I had the same welcome surprise shocker when listening to my MZ-RH1. My iPod only gets used when I travel and every gram counts!

Yes! What a master piece the RH1/Mz-200 MD players are! For example, Last night I was listening to Peter Gabriel's SO album, which I had fortunately made a copy in SP mode on to a Minidisc and I was so Immersed in the sound.

Hearing it was soooo LIVE!, So RICH! So DYNAMIC! I almost forgot how good music can sound since I had been getting a little used to IPOD Sound....

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #80 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is no wav advantage?

I can record optically from a cd onto a minidisc and listen to my hearts content on the mz rh1.

Maybe there is some confusion with regards wav, linear pcm, and in the case of a couple of posts above, flac?

Yes but is it really worth it to have only 10 WAV tracks on one disc? I'd rathar have 7 albums worth in Hi-sp form so I can listen for longer to a diverse range of tracks that form together nicely.

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #81 of 243
Of course its worth it, although thats a seperate question to the original statement that the rh1 couldn't do wav.

I record my cd's optically onto hi md and enjoy listening to my mini disc player immensely.

I also use an iriver to playback flac via an optical connection to a d10 (but do prefer the richness of the rh1 sq), if you can have all the benefits of a portable cd player and none of the downfalls, why wouldn't you?

Makes perfect sense to me.

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #83 of 243
I accept I may be a minority here, but anyone who has ever bought anything off me here will testify to the fact that I look after my gear, so much so that any sort of anti shock system good or bad would be superfluous to my needs. I just don't leave my stuff free to bang and move about whether in use or not, and when in use is located in a seperate bag free from the usual walking movements. If it was a pedometer it wouldn't record a single step i'm sure.

It's the same with those who complain about hdd based players, what are these people doing to them that would mean knocks and bangs render the drive useless?

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #84 of 243
Lol...I wish I was as good with my gear as you are!

Well for some (can't imagine what
rolleyes.gif
) reason I treat my Mini-Disc Players better than my iPod
biggrin.gif

I spend a lot of time cycling, rollerblading, jogging - no Mini-Disc or Hi-Md nor tape cassette player problems with skip/shock here. That friggin' jog wheel on my iPod needs to be locked on the go, otherwise it starts skipping albums to different albums or from music to photo functions.

Shigzeo - What sports are you doing that runs the MD player out of anti-shock? Thai boxing?
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #85 of 243
No - I don't need anti shock and realise that it has an adverse affect on sound. However, I've run players out of 40-sec back when I was running. Cycling was never a problem, probably because movement is softer.

I prefer flash because of the size and mechanical concerns. Sony players always broke down a lot quicker than the Sharps which were tanks (after the horrid ones from 1997-1999) that is!

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #86 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I prefer flash because of the size and mechanical concerns. Sony players always broke down a lot quicker than the Sharps which were tanks (after the horrid ones from 1997-1999) that is!

exactly, & it didn't help that sony MDs were square, for some reason they always went to the back pocket, i have never done this with ipod (!?)

i love minidiscs, but not the rattly cartridge mechanism in the lid. perhaps if the came up with a simple slot load system (like in a car stereo?) they would've continued further?

also, i don't miss that finnicky text editing on the device itself - though some people do it seems - the ones who keep complaining about not being able to delete & edit stuff on ipods.

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #87 of 243
Stick to the topic guys!

'I love minidisc because I prefer flash' is not a logical argument!
biggrin.gif

I wonder if you'll all still be loving flash when the flash drive fails hmm? The mini-disc player will be going strong for the next 10 years ...

Dunno about your back pocket. Maybe that was marketing? I've never put my mini-disc in my back pocket. Maybe that's the consequences of growing up in the city - you learn that back pockets are designed for very little good.

I bet you don't edit your music text on the iPod itself. You can do that easier on a computer. Likewise - on a portable mini-disc - it's so easy to do on a remote control on a main deck.

No matter. My iPod tracks comes up automatically and I don't need to edit or change them. But the sound quality is inferior to all my mini-disc players. That's the bit that makes it worthwhile sticking with MDs.

PS - Found the Sony MD-M200 PDF file here:

pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/files/cat/audio/.../mzm200_broch.pdf

41V28Z7sE9L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #88 of 243
Quote:

Stick to the topic guys!

But the sound quality is inferior to all my mini-disc players. That's the bit that makes it worthwhile sticking with MDs.

I Second that!

Mar 5, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #89 of 243
Quote:

No way...!

Sony will be releasing a 10 year anniversary edition of the Hi-MD, limited edition with backward compatibility with not only all previous generations of mini-discs, but with previous generations of backwards users too!

We'll all queue up still ~ nothing like the great sound quality and palm sized perfection on the trot.

Are you serious?
I would love to see that!

Mar 5, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #90 of 243
Not serious....just dreaming
biggrin.gif

At the minute, I'm tempted to shell out for an Onkyo FX-105 Hi-MD hi-fi deck.

Ooooh! Mini-Disc! What a fabulous size. The Sony designers knew that by making it the same shape as square potato waffles, adults and children would fall head over heels in love with the format
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back