I love minidisc - is that weird?
Oct 21, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #107 of 243
DUDE! SO wierd that you just posted this...... I was about to make a new asking something similar. First off. NO you are not wierd. I am a "trendsetter" in the sense that I always have and always will be the one that takes risks on new technology, I was still a kid mowing lawns at the time I remember to get that minidisc player. I thought there was no way my little brothers terrible 128mb MP3 would beat it out. (In comparison I went all in on Blu-ray for multiple reasons) but minidisc is one I was wrong on. But I thought I lost it. Until last week after I finished unpacking, and Let me say two things.  

FIRST: Energizer E2 batteries are the ****. Because it says expired 2013, it must be at least 7-9 years old. And my player says battery is full. I would post a picture, but f'ing site won't let me. I have always just read on Hifi and never made an account till yesterday so I don't know if I'm too new?? But I'll link it to flickr. https://flic.kr/p/ptvg6B https://flic.kr/p/oPcnt4 

SECONDLY: (And let me preface this, but I felt really stupid 4 months ago, I did not know that Toslink was integrated into headphone ports. Like did not have any idea. I thought it was just normal optical cable, or you could do an rca style Toslink cable. Noone ever mentioned it when I was studying musical production at Berklee even! So I was so stoked and embarassed to find out that my newish 44000$ macbook pro had optical built in. I mean they don't say it anywhere!) 

Anyways, I was surprised last week when I noticed this port on the side of the minidisc player, that as a kid I did not know what it did. Well you know what it is? An optical Toslink-In port! as seen here https://flic.kr/p/pL5hQE So I plugged in a Toslink cable to see what happened. Well let me also mention that this player? I don't know if I got an early one, or if its a crappy one or what. But it is literally the most pathetic excuse for a digital interface that Sony has ever made. I mean this is the most confusing device I've ever touched and I love my computers. But theres a couple things lableled that maybe you guys know what they mean or stand for. They're in this picture too, https://flic.kr/p/oPcy7P 

What is md(LP?) what does the LP stand for?

What is the T Mark button and why does it get a whole button of its own?

and what is NET MD? Was it a program online of somekind? I know MD is minidisc (obvi) but with the USB port on the side I only assume that was meant for my computer. 

THIRDLY: I LOVE every song that is still on there. I just was surprised how filthy the hiphop was. I'm 26, and no wonder my generations is a bunch of kinky freaks and designer drug eating maniacs. Because the electro was still poppin' and are still top tier club beats today. 

Overall, what an awesome experience, I feel lucky to have had that happened. It was like a time capsule.

Now a few questions.

1. When I plugged it in, it said record? So obvioiusly these MD's are RW, but what format does it get ripped in??

2. That being said, what is the highest quality playback a minidisc player can do? Was lossless big back then? I wasn't an audiophile when I was 13.... so I have no idea.

3. Are Minidisc still for sale?! I would/will rock the hell out of this bad boy!

And finally NO you are not weird. Unless I am, which I'm not. Unless by wierd, you mean not average, in which case I'm weird as crap. Call me an 'outlier'

Cheers man.

Murph

Oct 21, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #109 of 243
I always liked the mini disk because of the same reason I make mixed CDs. I like having my music organized a certain way. But I hate making playlists on mp3 devices or iTunes. For me though it was just taking too long to load music onto mini disk for me to really like use it for long. I also like being able to plug a mic or stereo input and record whatever.

Dec 1, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #111 of 243
Look what I dug out of my parents attic yesterday! :D Time to get back to roots of making mixed MDs! Which took the place of my Mixed CDs for a brief time, which took the place of my mixed tapes. All of which has evolved into my massive play lists on my 1TB iPod lol.

Sony MZ-S1 Minidisc player > Westone W40 IEMs

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #112 of 243
Biggest mistake I ever made: buying md player and 300 discs. Those discs now sit in a box collecting dust for 10 years. It initially seemed like a cool idea, unfortunately I bought this just before the iPod came out. Not only did I waste a lot of time copying music to these disks, and losing quality in the process, I found the format too prone to reading errors. And this is with $600 Sony players. Sometimes it would play fine, other times it would be dropouts of a second here and there. Got to be really irritating. Even my cassettes never had dropouts. To me it was a step up from the portable CD player, being smaller and easier to take to the gym. But it deserved to fail. It's almost as bulky a CD and less reliable for playback.

At least with my massive cassette collection I got about 20 years of life out of that before the format died. With minidisk I barely got a year before it was obsolete. It was good for taking to concerts and making live recordings, but that was also quickly replaced by things like an H2 zoom recorder.

I don't know what to do with the 300 minidisks I have right now. Throw them out or keep them as a drink coasters?

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #113 of 243
You could always send them to me for the cost of postage! :p

I don't ever recall having errors on my copies. My problem was copying poor MP3s. I'm going to see how it sounds with albums copied via optical connection. I don know that they required skip protection, just like CD players.

EDIT: My offer is a serious one if you really want to just get rid of them. However there is a niche market for them. So my advice (and against my better judgment, I'd take them :p ) would be to check e-Bay. You could probably sell them for $1-$2 a disc. and a portable player around $30+. Maybe $10 for pre-recorded MDs.

Dec 1, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #114 of 243
@spazti

I only ever experienced dropouts during playback when i had a low battery in the player during transferring the original files from my computer on to my net md.

once i realized this i always either used a brand new AA battery or - better yet used (and still do) the DC wall plug .since then I've never had any issues with dropouts during playback.also the sound quality on my MZ-NF610 has never an issue unless the original file is poor .granted its not as great sounding as Sony's newer DAP's but for the time it came out it was a better option than a standard portable CD player which could only hold 80 minutes of music per disc (at least until mp3cd players came out) plus full size portable cd players are bulkier than a net md player.

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #115 of 243
Anyone else here still have a MD deck that they are willing to sell at a good price? I'm looking to get one so I can get my whole man cave set up when I finally buy a house. In the meantime it will have to go in my entertainment center. :p

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #116 of 243
I have a Sony Deck in mint condition I bought new in like '98. Not sure of the model number, looks a lot like a MDS-JE320, I'd be willing to part with that one.

Also have a MZ-NH3D looks like this, it's all metal construction is sweet had to import it from Japan.

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #117 of 243
I have a Sony Deck in mint condition I bought new in like '98. Not sure of the model number, looks a lot like a MDS-JE320, I'd be willing to part with that one.

Also have a MZ-NH3D looks like this, it's all metal construction is sweet had to import it from Japan.

Muinarc,

Would you consider parting with the portable player?

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #118 of 243
Hello,
I have a Sony MZ-NE410 and I'm in the process of using it again. I can't seem to find my headphones that came with it so I'm looking for some new Sony headphones to go with it. Any suggestions? Anything under a hundred is fine.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #119 of 243

Still MD here since I join headfi and my RH1 is getting stronger.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #120 of 243
I had no luck with MD players as I always got the 'BSOD' with a Windows 98 & Windows XP computers back then. I think 2 years ago I tried it again on a Vista machine and got a 'error window'. And all this happens as soon as I plug the net md into the computer via USB. Will never look at a net md again.
Also the agonizing time I spent restoring the computer during those years, I'm glad Sony abandoned SonicStage with their current MP3 daps otherwise my back yard will be littered with computers.
k701smile.gif

BTW, anyone know what happened to 'The Wiz' stores in the US. It was a discman lovers dream come true. The amount of discmans and headphones that stored offered back then, is nothing compared to the paltry amount seen now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back