#$@!!!#!!!!! I keep killing my portables!
May 22, 2010 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

spacemanspliff

Headphoneus Supremus
I am too damn hard on my portable earphones! I keep my touch in my pocket and I just beat the heck out of the cable by occasionally tugging on the wire. Eventually, it pulls the cable apart. I need a TOUGH built earbud or iem. Even willing to pay to have the cable upgraded. Any suggestions? Really need at least a 6ft cable.

May 22, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 19
I agree on replaceable cables. There are loads of alternatives depending on your budget and your preference. 

Sennheiser IE8. Upcoming Westone UM3X, Shure SE535 and Westone UM2. Just to mention a few.

Good luck 

May 22, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #4 of 19
Get the ie8. Very good cable, can withstand ultimate punishment. Mine hasnt spoil yet,......miraculously.

May 22, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 19
Good suggestions but a 4ft cord will not work. I am too tall.

What about recabling? I have a pair of PK3s I could sacrifice. Anyone do that? Like steel reinforced? lol

Wish I was kidding.

Bluetooth or wireless solutions?

May 22, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 19
How tall are you!?!  You can always buy a longer cable for IEMs with replaceable cables.

May 22, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 19
Tall enough that a 5ft cord doesn't work. I know that sounds stupid but it's true. I do not mind spending money on a proven solution. However, I do not want to spend $250 on something that breaks just as quick as my free earbuds. Cable extensions just kill SQ btw. Tried that. I guess that you have to match the cables.

May 23, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #10 of 19
Sorry to threadjack but: Anyone know of earbuds with replaceable cables under $80? Or can someone recommend earbuds with an insanely durable jack (where the wires meet the jack is what always breaks on me)?

Thanks

May 23, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:
Sorry to threadjack but: Anyone know of earbuds with replaceable cables under $80? Or can someone recommend earbuds with an insanely durable jack (where the wires meet the jack is what always breaks on me)?

Thanks

Replaceable: Sleek SA1, Altec Lansing UHP336/UE SuperFi 3. 
Durable: Meelectronics M6/M9/M11, Brainwavz M2, Klipsch S2, VSonic R02ProII, etc. Most IEMs with an L-plug will take a good amount of wear.

May 23, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #12 of 19
My suggestion is to either go 1) cheap and durable or 2)replaceable cables or 3)learn to solder.

I agree with joker that all the new offerings from meelectronics, even including the ghastly R1, fall under the first category.

For the second, there are lots of options.

The third option applies if it is the L-jack that keeps breaking. Neutrik connectors are cheap, costing only a couple of dollars. You can snip the cable just above the old jack and attach a new connector. Problem solved. Just repeat until the cable becomes too short to be manageable.

Or you could combine 1 + 3 if you so choose, for maximum durability.

May 24, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #13 of 19
I need to learn how to solder. I have plenty of dead cheapies to practice on lol.

Any place I can learn the basics? What to buy etc?

May 24, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #15 of 19
Interesting responses.  There are several recommendations for well-built IEMs costing $2-300 (or more) to someone who admits he ill-treats and destroys his IEMs.

Here's my suggestion: don't shove your stuff in your pockets and yank it out when ready to use is.  Find some type of pouch to put your phones in.  Gently wrap the phones and cables around 3 or 4 fingers, put them in the pouch.  Put your player is the same of another pouch or something. 

Not trying to be judgemental -- I have a college daughter that does the same thing despite my regular advice otherwise!  But I have $20 IEMs that I take good care of -- AND $100 IEMs that I take good care of.  When you learn to take care of things, you are rewarded by saving money and getting consistent use out of those things -- they last longer, and don't have to worry about buying a very best so it can handle poor treatment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back