I just got my Audio-Technica ATH-M50's
Jun 5, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #16 of 30
I'm happy with my m50's, but I blast my music then I get a headache LMAO, then when its too low, it feels like too much air gets into my ears.. I have to have it at the perfect volume, but when I blast it for that first 30mins, feels amazing :D But uhh do you guys blast your music on it? I mean it depends on the song.. >.< But yeah..

Jun 6, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #17 of 30
I found the M50 to be pretty balanced in the highe and mids...mayby just a slightly recessed mids.  but after coming from the D5000 i can really feel them
the bass is emphsized..no doubt.  but many (like me) want to immediately feel the bass and not go hunting for it
smile.gif

Jun 6, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #18 of 30
I found when amped they sound a little more balanced. Yes the low end is a little exaggerated but not as much as some people claim. Many people come from headphones which under-exaggerate the bass - where the exact line of 'balance' is is kind of relative to the listener too. 

Jun 6, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #19 of 30
You have never read about anyone comparing them to the 580's soundstage. The 580 has never been known for soundstage.

Quote:
you are the first person ive ever read about that said the m50 has a wider soundstage than the hd580

im stunned and worried that your 580s are busted, the 580s are immensely wider and more spacious than the m50s lol...IMMENSELY.

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #21 of 30
I assume you don't own both a 580 and M50 since you said you have never "read" about a comparison, so how would you know? An apparently you didn't do a search of the forum or you would know the 580 has a somewhat deep and high soundstage, but not wide. Well documented. Just in the past couple of days there have been complaints about the 650's soundstage. Senns have limited width, period. Get the 580 and M50 in the same room and then we can have a discussion.

Quote:
i disagree, i think the 580 is noticeably wider

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #22 of 30
Im still having troubles getting use to teh m50s since it clamps against my head :frowning2: I have a big head so its not the headphones fault. Im thinking of giving this to my brother and picking up AD700s

Jun 6, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #23 of 30
Yeah, they can be tight. There is a thread regarding how to stretch them. The AD700 sounds the opposite of the M50 if that's what you are going for.

Quote:
Im still having troubles getting use to teh m50s since it clamps against my head :frowning2: I have a big head so its not the headphones fault. Im thinking of giving this to my brother and picking up AD700s

Jun 6, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #24 of 30

Quote:
I found the M50 to be pretty balanced in the highe and mids...mayby just a slightly recessed mids.  but after coming from the D5000 i can really feel them
the bass is emphsized..no doubt.  but many (like me) want to immediately feel the bass and not go hunting for it
smile.gif

Well don't you think that if you need to search for the bass it's a little low? With my M50s, its no more apparent than any other part of the spectrum.

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #25 of 30

Quote:
Well don't you think that if you need to search for the bass it's a little low? With my M50s, its no more apparent than any other part of the spectrum.

didn't exactly inderstand you first comment..   the M50's bass is emphasized but not too much imo,i like it very much.   but it is certainly not a flat bass response.

Jun 7, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #26 of 30

Quote:
didn't exactly inderstand you first comment..   the M50's bass is emphasized but not too much imo,i like it very much.   but it is certainly not a flat bass response.

All I'm saying is that to me, it sounds like the bass is the same level as everything else, except for the mids maybe being a little recessed.

Jun 7, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #27 of 30
I just started listening to Mozart's Symphony #1 in E flat Major from the Mozart: The Symphonies set on these cans while I try to really get some school work done. I can suddenly really see what people want when they talk about soundstage, instrument separation and detail from their cans. With most music I am used to the way cans sound because I have never been to a proper show. With orchestral music I've went to the proper theater that my city has and heard a full on orchestra many times. The sound of the M50 just doesn't compare AT ALL to the positioning, separation and space of the real deal. Of course I get board at the shows because all there is to do is sit there whereas with headphone I can do work at the same time but my next set of cans will definitely be open.

Jun 7, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #28 of 30
I just switched to my KSC75s and it is much easier to close you eyes and see the instruments ahead of me instead of right around my ears. I never understood how people said things like "this headphone has a very wide soundstage but it is not very deep". Now I understand better. Trying to imagine where the sound from each instrument is coming from is really amazing. Amping really helps the KSC75, I think I will easily listen to all 15 hours of Mozart symphonies I have here before exams are done.

Jun 16, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #29 of 30
Interesting observations from many different points of view. I too have a pair of the M50s and listen to smooth instrumental jazz (Paul Hardcastle, Peter White, Fourplay, Euge Groove, Kim Waters etc..) and most of these artists seem to be quite fond of a good solid bass line--especially Hardcastle (listen to "Desire"). I like the m50 for this type of music as it has a very spacious soundstage and reproduces the lowest lows with no distortion. However, my ipod had to be @ 75% volume to have good quality sound and by then it approaches being too loud. I recently built a Cmoy pocket amp using the TI  OP2134PA op-amp and I really must say that the sound improved dramatically and now I can listen at lower volumes because of the quality of this amp and these phones. Please consider an amp not for volume increase but for sound quality increase at lower volumes. (Oh yeah, this little amp will cauliflower your ears with no trouble, but it isn't necessary to listen that loudly to really get the best out of your music...........)

Jun 20, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #30 of 30
If your main issue is comfort and clamping, consider the Denon AH-D1100.

You can wear these for hours with no discomfort.

Can't compare directly to M50s, but I've gathered from reviews that they are very similar.

Great soundstage and instrument separation. Great bass. Very comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back