I just got my Audio-Technica ATH-M50's
Jun 5, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 30
you are welcome!  and welcome to head fi and the M50 club
beerchug.gif

Jun 5, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 30

Quote:
The m50 are geared for rock IMO.  Mid-centered audio.  They are immensely fun.  However, the Shure 840 is still better :)

M50 is mid centered? Wow, to my ears they sounded quite boosted in the bass and treble with the mids taking a back seat. Which source are you using with them?

Jun 5, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 30
Edit:

Just because the M50s have a prominent bass experience does not really mean they are geared for lows more so than mids and highs.  They are monitors after all.  They are fun and play mid range better than most cans out there.  It's supposed to be a fun experience, they are not accurate.  They exaggerate heavily in the lows.  But that was the entire point, to provide a fun enjoyable experience.  I feel its safe to say they are geared for rock and mid range, but again just because they have great bass doesn't mean they are geared for lows.

A better example of what I am trying to get at is that the M50 have more bass, but play the fun rock genre to a more enjoyable level than the 840s. They seem to play mid centered audio on a grand scale with good bass response.  On a track like Marco Sfoglis Still Hurts, there is a lot of bass but the music is still mid heavy.  The m50s play this track way better than the Shure 840s, which are neutral and IMO equal in from low to high, not exaggerating or being labeled "heavy anything"

or maybe i can just crazy in thinking the m50s handle mid range better and on a more enjoyable level than lows.

Jun 5, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 30

Quote:
It's really difficult for me to imagine better headphones.. Do they really excist? >.< When I have loudness on these bad boys its still perfect quality..

If they're perfect for you, stop looking around now and do your wallet a favour :p

Jun 5, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 30
The bass seems very exaggerated to me. Just put on any heavy bass song and you can tell. Make sure the bass is low.

But these headphones don't really handle Rush/Boston very well. I probably only have about 10-15 hours of burn in on them, so is that the reason why it doesn't sound so good?

Jun 5, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #10 of 30
The bass is definitely not exaggerated. In my setup it sounds accurate, if not a tad boosted, but it never intrudes into the mids. Yes, they are considered bass heavy compared to most "hi-fi" phones, but that's because most of those phones are a bit bass shy. Ever hear a double bass live? It should be low and powerful and the M50 conveys that. My Senns sound good and more refined, but the M50 is more accurate across the spectrum. Get more time on them and they will burn in or you will get use to them, which ever you prefer to call it. I have come to really appreciate them. They are not for everyone though....

Also, the mids are more forward then the Beyers I have had, less than the HD580, but the soundstage is quite a bit bigger than the HD580. M50 Rocks!

Quote:
The bass seems very exaggerated to me. Just put on any heavy bass song and you can tell. Make sure the bass is low.

But these headphones don't really handle Rush/Boston very well. I probably only have about 10-15 hours of burn in on them, so is that the reason why it doesn't sound so good?

Jun 5, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 30

Quote:
The bass is definitely not exaggerated. In my setup it sounds accurate, if not a tad boosted, but it never intrudes into the mids. Yes, they are considered bass heavy compared to most "hi-fi" phones, but that's because most of those phones are a bit bass shy. Ever hear a double bass live? It should be low and powerful and the M50 conveys that. My Senns sound good and more refined, but the M50 is more accurate across the spectrum. Get more time on them and they will burn in or you will get use to them, which ever you prefer to call it. I have come to really appreciate them. They are not for everyone though....

Also, the mids are more forward then the Beyers I have had, less than the HD580, but the soundstage is quite a bit bigger than the HD580. M50 Rocks!

lol what

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #14 of 30
What's the problem. The soundstage extends much further left and right than my 580. I just listened to some jazz with both. 580 it was between my ears and the M50 it was a few inches outside my ears. The M50 loves tubes, what can I say?

Quote:

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #15 of 30
you are the first person ive ever read about that said the m50 has a wider soundstage than the hd580

im stunned and worried that your 580s are busted, the 580s are immensely wider and more spacious than the m50s lol...IMMENSELY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back