I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
May 16, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #3,481 of 3,761

Quote:
Sony seems to be abandoning the premium player market in the U.S. No new A-Series here yet, The X is being allowed to die on the vine.
But I can go into best buy and pick up an E or maybe an S series.

Quote:
What's worse is that they do VERY LITTLE marketing in the US.  It's been nearly impossible to find the X in a store here and I don't think I have ever seen an advertisement on TV for it either.  I know we are in a recession over here, but there are still some buyers here. 

Hopefully they will decide to take advantage of the US market a little better with their future models. 

I personally cannot believe that Sony are not bringing out 2nd gen X player especially as everything now days is about going touchscreen (even though there always needs to be the tactile models also)  it will be odd for Sony not to have one in their line up which i thought would lead to even more sales losses in that respect if they do not.

This unfortunately could be the case as it might of been the bottom $ in the sales of the X that vs a certain competitor that made them revaluate their line up perhaps  .Especially in the states which is after all the back yard of Apple where they must outsell so many to one Sony Walkmans in the US, love to know those figures, would make interesting reading.

@ nonspremous - the recession is Global remember, it partially plays a part in Sony not marketing full on in the US perhaps.
It is more a case of they know at the moment they cannot compete for the bigger slice of cake in the US, so do not throw needless budgets down the drain chasing it and consolidate in other areas/regions where they can get the sales.

Harsh i know, but the recession also effects the way company's asses there different areas of the business dependent of supply and demand and it most probably seems a majority of US citizens turn to Apple for their music players, after all it is an image thing with a lot of youngsters to have it and the are not bothered about the SQ as much and just listen to it happily through their little $5 apple buds and all those apps which Apple have down to a tee it seems, so how many sales would that be for Sony to compete against? (= a lot i should imagine!)

Again i take it the same applies to Japan where there will be a huge native loyal following of Sony on it's home turf over Apple products so will always have higher territorial sales in it's homeland.

Maybe the new A series is just bridging the gap before they overhaul the whole range of E, S, X and A series somehow to be a bit more uniformed than they are now.

I just hope Sony get a X replacement out asap with 64gb flash and few bad points of the X resolved if they choose to market it as an all rounder like a Touch.

I personally feel they need to make a 2nd gen touchscreen X the same compact size as the current X without the wi-fi inernet option and then do a premium all rounder X the same size as a ipod touch with all the trimmings. Just my take on things if i was the marketing team at Sony as i am sure they will not want to be left behind for long as it hurts the pocket in the long run and are plotting some evolution that will catch Apple napping maybe later on this year on next?

Watching this space for the 2nd gen X still!!.......

May 16, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #3,482 of 3,761
Hi, I would like to subscribe to this thread as I just bought myself a 1060 ... AT LAST....

The info on this thread and the advise from some Head fiers helped me make up my mind
to go for the X instead of the new A series..

There is one question however that I have and I would like to ask you all

There are people posting that units intended to be sold in France have
a volume top limit something like the AVLS.but different and not related to the
country and language selections in the settings menu.

I suspect my unit is limited (AVLS is off, Country =UK, and Language=English)
because I think my old A818 and S739F play  louder.

IF that is really the case is there a way to correct it?
The unit is 1060 not a 1061 and its software is revision 1.02.  

May 16, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #3,483 of 3,761

Quote:
Hi, I would like to subscribe to this thread as I just bought myself a 1060 ... AT LAST....

The info on this thread and the advise from some Head fiers helped me make up my mind
to go for the X instead of the new A series..

There is one question however that I have and I would like to ask you all

There are people posting that units intended to be sold in France have
a volume top limit something like the AVLS.but different and not related to the
country and language selections in the settings menu.

It was just the French players that where capped, so you should not have a volume issue if it is not a French unit.

If i remember rightly the X was the same if not a bit louder perhaps than my old A818 volume went.
I would have to fire it up to just confirm that, so will dig out charge up and find out if you want.

What earphones are you using with it?

May 16, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #3,484 of 3,761

Quote:

Hi kintsaki 
smile_phones.gif

So you finally have an X?? Nice! Better late than never.

As for the volume limit, like FF said, it was only French players that were capped. Where did you buy yours from? If your 818 and 739 play a little louder, I wouldn't put it down to any volume limit because a couple of other owners also had the same observations as you, and theirs weren't capped. What volume are you on for regular listening? Unless you're near maximum, then I really don't think you have a French X 
biggrin.gif

Oh, and same question for you as FF - what earphones are you using with it?

May 17, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #3,486 of 3,761
FortisFlyer75 - The recession is no doubt a world wide problem, Greece being a great example.  I think I have just been stunned that a company as large as Sony never bothered to market this player at all over here.  There's no doubt they wouldn't take a large bite out of Apple, but shoot, they never even stuck their toe in the water to get a temperature reading. 

Hopefully when and if they decide to do an X (2), then they might atleast try for an advertising blitz for a couple months and see what happens. 

May 17, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #3,488 of 3,761
Thank you all.

I bought the unit here in Greece in a local store.
They had the new A series unit as well and I listened to that also.

Well I tried again and it seems all units are equal volume wise.
I mostly listen to it with the X 10 Image from Klipsch. I set the
volume between 12 and 22 out of 30.

All of my headphones get a significant improvement from the X.
The X has the hologram 3d sound associated with the Stax O2.
In fact the O2 gets most of the benefits and improvements from
the X player and it is now going to get more use along with the
baby Stax.
In addition the AKG K1000 gets a lot of improvement and whrn
combined with  the baby Stax it makes for an exteemely interesting
dual head rig where separate amplifiers are used to drive the 2 sets.

May 17, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #3,489 of 3,761

Quote:
Those Hong Kong £10 ebay  line out dock jobbies work a treat, they sound exactly the same as the sony cradle dock. There so good I bought two.
biggrin.gif

Wow, great find. Does the other end accept a standard mini plug? If so, you could use any mini-to-mini line cable with this and get the full benefit of true line out. 

May 17, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #3,490 of 3,761

Quote:

Wow, great find. Does the other end accept a standard mini plug? If so, you could use any mini-to-mini line cable with this and get the full benefit of true line out. 

The same seller on eBay sells LO cables too. Unless you want to use your own mini-mini cable you can get the other LO.

May 17, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #3,492 of 3,761

Quote:
FortisFlyer75 - The recession is no doubt a world wide problem, Greece being a great example.  I think I have just been stunned that a company as large as Sony never bothered to market this player at all over here.  There's no doubt they wouldn't take a large bite out of Apple, but shoot, they never even stuck their toe in the water to get a temperature reading. 

Hopefully when and if they decide to do an X (2), then they might atleast try for an advertising blitz for a couple months and see what happens. 

Well, it is true that to gain sales you do need to advertise and it seem's to work for Apple for sure with making their products look shiny and desirable. Maybe Sony's advertising dept is not as good or as ambitious at promoting their products.  But somehow even with all the advertising under the sun if Sony had layed  out a few bucks to get exposure in your country they do not have a bullet proof products to really take on Ipod, "here use the awkward t9 input text form typing for crappy internet experience that does not function to well on this size screen or Apples Safari with nice big touch screen with unprecedented number of available app's" (a lot of them free) to have on your ipod"?

Sony cannot compete with that at the moment and do not have an answer to make the challange despite the X being the better SQ player between the two.

Maybe this is why they did not have much faith in their own product to not have a advertising blitz i don't know?

I am just hoping Sony have something special up their sleeve that might be new and unique that it makes it worth Sony spending on the advertising if they think it could take on Apple at their own game. 
Let's face it Sony have been lapped by Apples in the marketing arena when it comes to daps.
Time to get their toes wet or burnt i say ; )

Quote:
Thank you all.

All of my headphones get a significant improvement from the X.
The X has the hologram 3d sound associated with the Stax O2.
In fact the O2 gets most of the benefits and improvements from
the X player and it is now going to get more use along with the
baby Stax.
In addition the AKG K1000 gets a lot of improvement and whrn
combined with  the baby Stax it makes for an exteemely interesting
dual head rig where separate amplifiers are used to drive the 2 sets.

Nice collection of cans you have there Kintsaki.
I use my X with K702's through a Naim headline amp which sounds nice and analytical, that was until i demoed the JH13&16 pro customs last week!

Quote:
I read that the X series is discontinued. So either buy the remaining stock, wait awhile for possible discounts on them, or embrace the A series and newer!

May be newer, but some might want the touchscreen version, i think they are having this hiatus to give the new A series a sales figure boost in it's first few months and then a 2nd gen X will be out just in time for X-mas! ah, how apt! lol
I need 64gb now! (but in touchscreen form please Mr. Sony)

May 18, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #3,493 of 3,761
I've been using my X1060 for a while and there seems to be an issue where it freezes about 7 seconds into any track from a particular album. I was able to play these files before I added new files/directories using the drag and drop. Does anyone know what is causing this freezing/restarting?

Thanks

May 19, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #3,494 of 3,761

I had a similar problem some time ago. It was fixed after updating to the last firmware version.

You can find it in Sony's website, if I remember correctly you will not lost any data you have in the player with the update.

Quote:
I've been using my X1060 for a while and there seems to be an issue where it freezes about 7 seconds into any track from a particular album. I was able to play these files before I added new files/directories using the drag and drop. Does anyone know what is causing this freezing/restarting?

Thanks

May 26, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #3,495 of 3,761
I got a couple of question here:

What is slacker...?
What is UI..?
Does sony X series support a MicroSDHC or SDHC card or Memory Stick pro duo or M2..?
What do you meant by iTunes use on Sony X Series..? Can we do that..?
What do you meant by Sony Content Transfer..? What is that..?
What do you meant by XNJB..? What is that..? What is the function..?

Please answer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back