I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Mar 8, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #3,211 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by fallingreason /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I know I've posted on this thread once before regarding the build quality of the X, but I have another couple of questions.

When I hold my X and squeeze the top and bottom of the edge of the player, (just outside the screen) there is a tiny bit of play, and the panels can be compressed inward. JUST WONDERING if they are all like this or if it is hit or miss when you buy one.

I don't have this problem with mine.

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #3,212 of 3,761
Can someone tell me what bass rolloff is? Im wondering if im experiecing any of it. Either that or i need to clean my ears and rip all the ear wax out for good.

And am i the only X1000 owner who wouldnt mind if the master volume went louder? I say another 5 notches would really help.

Ive turned the treble up in the EQ and its helped raise the volume a tad.

Do you guys know what dynamic EQ does in the settings? ive gone back and fourth with it on and off and cant tell a difference.

But clear sound and DSEE I have both on and make a big sound improvement.

Mar 9, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #3,213 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bassheadd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And am i the only X1000 owner who wouldnt mind if the master volume went louder? I say another 5 notches would really help.

I guess it depends on which headphones you're using. With my ATH-ES7, I usually listen between 12 and 14, depending on the album, non-EQed.

Quote:

But clear sound and DSEE I have both on and make a big sound improvement.

The opposite here, DSEE and Clear Stereo (which is what I assume you meant by Clear Sound) have no effect that I can hear. I've read that DSEE supposedly helps with lower bitrate mp3s (all my stuff is 320k CBR or VBR) and Sony mentions that Clear Stereo should be off for any other type of ear/headphones but the ones that come with the player... Odd thing.

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #3,214 of 3,761
@Basshead - bass roll off tends to happen when either: the output caps are one way, not push pull, or when the output impedance is much higher than the earphones it drives.

Typical dynamic earphones are 16-32Ω and will stymie certain DAP's: Zune, Any Cowon, old iPods, anything Creative, old Sony's, anything iRiver, the list goes on and on. The list of DAP's which don't roll off with dynamic earphones is very short: less than 5% on the market.

Those which don't sustain an even (about 0 decibel) frequency response, even when put under pretty hard output conditions. However, players like the Sony and iPod have no bass roll off with dynamic earphones, may suffer it with balanced armatures whose crossovers attack low frequencies too. The JH13Pro is an example of one.

My FitEar causes suckout of upper frequencies with the Sony and iPod and to a much lesser extent, the Sansa Fuze. Using an amp, I get those frequencies back.

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #3,215 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess it depends on which headphones you're using. With my ATH-ES7, I usually listen between 12 and 14, depending on the album, non-EQed.

The opposite here, DSEE and Clear Stereo (which is what I assume you meant by Clear Sound) have no effect that I can hear. I've read that DSEE supposedly helps with lower bitrate mp3s (all my stuff is 320k CBR or VBR) and Sony mentions that Clear Stereo should be off for any other type of ear/headphones but the ones that come with the player... Odd thing.

Interesting. I find that DSEE boosts the SQ with my UE super Fi5 EBs. With it off I find the sound a bit flat.

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #3,216 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Basshead - bass roll off tends to happen when either: the output caps are one way, not push pull, or when the output impedance is much higher than the earphones it drives.

Typical dynamic earphones are 16-32Ω and will stymie certain DAP's: Zune, Any Cowon, old iPods, anything Creative, old Sony's, anything iRiver, the list goes on and on. The list of DAP's which don't roll off with dynamic earphones is very short: less than 5% on the market.

Those which don't sustain an even (about 0 decibel) frequency response, even when put under pretty hard output conditions. However, players like the Sony and iPod have no bass roll off with dynamic earphones, may suffer it with balanced armatures whose crossovers attack low frequencies too. The JH13Pro is an example of one.

My FitEar causes suckout of upper frequencies with the Sony and iPod and to a much lesser extent, the Sansa Fuze. Using an amp, I get those frequencies back.

Bass rolloff isn't permanent is it? Does it just come and go in spurts? Cause today after work I got pretty scared that there was something wrong with my beloved toy when the bass coming from it was cut drastically. I was pretty worried so I immediately cleaned out my earbud tips with the cleaning tool once I got home. Listened to it again and it was back to normal with all the bass I love. Was very odd but I doubt me cleaning the earbud tips did anything. You absolutely sure X1000s don't have bass rolloff? I just hope it doesn't come back.

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #3,217 of 3,761
And do you think I should get a portable amp like the Fiio E5? Will it help minize bass rolloff?

And how do I tell if my earbuds are dynamic? They're the Ultimate Ears Super Fi5 EB so maybe one of you guys can tell me if they are? Much appreciated thx!

What I expericned today was 99% bass rolloff. I got maybe 1/5th the total bass output that I usually get. But now its back to normal. I don't know forsure if it was bass rolloff but what else could it be? I thought my beloved X1000 was going defective
frown.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #3,218 of 3,761
The Super Fi5 EB shouldn't have problems in the same way: it is half dynamic (the bass half) and half balanced armature. I'm sure the balanced armature at lowΩ causes some problems, but hardly anything to worry over. Sony's internal amp should drive those earphones way better than a Fiio E5.

I'd not worry at all about it.

Bass roll off isn't a sickness which gets better - it is a problem with the output. It won't go away. And with your earphones, I'd not worry about it.

Mar 9, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #3,219 of 3,761
Quote:

The Super Fi5 EB shouldn't have problems in the same way: it is half dynamic (the bass half) and half balanced armature. I'm sure the balanced armature at lowΩ causes some problems, but hardly anything to worry over. Sony's internal amp should drive those earphones way better than a Fiio E5.

I'd not worry at all about it.

Bass roll off isn't a sickness which gets better - it is a problem with the output. It won't go away. And with your earphones, I'd not worry about it.

Oh ok, so im guessing bassroll off will most likely come back eventually here and there?
redface.gif
Like I said im not 100% sure it was bass rolloff but I cant think of anything else that would have caused my bass output to be cut to a fraction of what it normally outputs.

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #3,221 of 3,761
The Zune has pretty evident bass roll off with dynamic earphones even - the Sony does not. Something clogging your earphones is nothing at all related to bass roll off, it just means something has clogged your earphones.

Bass roll off is simply part of the output. It neither disappears nor appears. If present, it will always be present and has nothing to do with the tips you use, the air, or magic: it is just a fact of the output.

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #3,222 of 3,761
The first time I really ever noticed bass roll off was when doing some side by side comparisons of the Sony X with the Cowon S9, both paired with my ALO Rx. With my IE8's it became really evident that the lowest octave was just missing on the S9 especially being amplified by the Rx (guess it 'amplified' that problem). I'd never heard it before. When I went back to the X/Rx combo the bass was just that extra little bit more deep and extended, which showed the higher end level of its sound. I love my low end, and the X really showed its edge in that area over the S9. There's roll off for sure with the Cowon.

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #3,223 of 3,761
Quote:

Oh ok, so im guessing bassroll off will most likely come back eventually here and there?
redface.gif
Like I said im not 100% sure it was bass rolloff but I cant think of anything else that would have caused my bass output to be cut to a fraction of what it normally outputs.

Basshead are you sure you didn't accidently move "clear bass" from +2 to 0? haha

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #3,224 of 3,761
Quote:

Bass rolloff isn't permanent is it? Does it just come and go in spurts? Cause today after work I got pretty scared that there was something wrong with my beloved toy when the bass coming from it was cut drastically. I was pretty worried so I immediately cleaned out my earbud tips with the cleaning tool once I got home. Listened to it again and it was back to normal with all the bass I love. Was very odd but I doubt me cleaning the earbud tips did anything. You absolutely sure X1000s don't have bass rolloff? I just hope it doesn't come back.

I know what you mean, and this is because of the tips, or the earphone itself, getting dirty. Keep them clean and you won't have a problem.

Mar 9, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #3,225 of 3,761
Quote:

The Zune has pretty evident bass roll off with dynamic earphones even - the Sony does not. Something clogging your earphones is nothing at all related to bass roll off, it just means something has clogged your earphones.

Bass roll off is simply part of the output. It neither disappears nor appears. If present, it will always be present and has nothing to do with the tips you use, the air, or magic: it is just a fact of the output.

You sure me cleaning out my earbud tips had nothing to do with it? Kinda odd how once I did this, all my bass from before was back. Who knows maybe I just have bad hearing
devil_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back