I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Mar 8, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #3,196 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony needs to hire some real syncing engineers, if such a thing exists ; seems like all their software that use sync are slow/buggy.

What do you need the sync feature for? It works like a charm with just drag&drop! All software is just useless with this feature. I know you got used to the necessity using Apple products, but those are over with Sony and you don't need to worry about it. Use tagging software like MediaMonkey or MP3Tag and forget about syncing!

Mar 8, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #3,197 of 3,761
Agreed - syncing software is a needless PITFA.

Mar 8, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #3,198 of 3,761
You don't need to sync with an iPod or iPhone either. I've never ever done it as it is 1: a waste of time, and 2: I have more music than any iPod/iPhone will hold.

But, I drag and drop from iTunes to my iPod as I do need to use iTunes (or Songbird) to do that.

But, even with drag and drop machines, using software to help you sort is MUCH faster than manually doing it from a folder of your music. While D&D may help you use on any platform (depending on file structure), it doesn't eliminate the need for software to help you get things in order.

Mar 8, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #3,199 of 3,761
Coincidently, if any of you want to part with your X (16 or 32), please tell me. I am fed up with borrowing one for a few days at a time and that person and I have hit an impasse -- he doesn't like loaning it out and I don't like travelling 2 hours to give it back! I am more interested in the 16 than the 32 or 64 as I never take more music with me than I will listen to in several days.

Mar 8, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #3,200 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't need to sync with an iPod or iPhone either. I've never ever done it as it is 1: a waste of time, and 2: I have more music than any iPod/iPhone will hold.

But, I drag and drop from iTunes to my iPod as I do need to use iTunes (or Songbird) to do that.

But, even with drag and drop machines, using software to help you sort is MUCH faster than manually doing it from a folder of your music. While D&D may help you use on any platform (depending on file structure), it doesn't eliminate the need for software to help you get things in order.

Organize how? My music is sorted in folders by Artist and then Album, so what's there to sort?

Mar 8, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #3,201 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Szadzik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Organize how? My music is sorted in folders by Artist and then Album, so what's there to sort?

Mine too, but I find it a lot more convenient to organize and keep track of what I'm adding with the use of a media software - true I could use MediaMonkey (I did so a long time ago in the past with a Creative Zen player) but as been mentioned before, I grew accustomed to iTunes-like managements (still need iTunes for my iPod Touch, apps and all) and Media Go, except for its incredibly slow syncing speed, is pretty good.

Sony Connect was basically a drag and drop affair too, and used to hang every 100 or so mp3s, hence the "sync with moderation...". The eReader forum I visit is also full of people having problems syncing or copying books to their Sony eReaders. Sony makes good hardware but so-so software.

Mar 8, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #3,202 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried "Custom" EQ? Turn every band down the same amount.

I wonder, what db amount is applied to volume when you turn it up or down via the volume control? If it's more than 1db, then yes, that would be a good thing to try, thanks for suggesting
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #3,203 of 3,761
Quote:

I have about 200GB of music, some in formats the Sony doesn't support. The Sony is slow as hell to transfer and doesn't read tags properly without sync support.

I will not go through albums and folders to make this work with drag and drop. It is much faster for a person who has no way to sync everything or know when the last album download or not (due to size restrictions) got in or not.

It is simply much better to use software so if that day, instead of album or artist, I want to hear just trance, or just my playlists, to just drag and drop from iTunes or another software.

That is why they are so much faster and better. If I want to also have a playlist of everything with the word 'love' in it, I have it thanks to drag and drop from a software.

Drag and drop from folders is quite archaic when at my fingertips, I have a unit (which might work properly) with software.

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #3,204 of 3,761
Quote:

What do you need the sync feature for? It works like a charm with just drag&drop! All software is just useless with this feature. I know you got used to the necessity using Apple products, but those are over with Sony and you don't need to worry about it. Use tagging software like MediaMonkey or MP3Tag and forget about syncing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamnine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed - syncing software is a needless PITFA.

With drag & drop you cannot create playlists unless you want to have duplicate songs taking up unnecessary precious extra space. I've got about 4,000 tracks on my X and I do need and, therefore, have 4 (huge) playlists (about 200, 500, 1000, 2000 tracks), then hit the shuffle feature. Trying to do the same using only Genres as a kind of 'playlists way round it' won't do it for me as some of my playlists are made up of mixed genres.

Media Go is the only software I've found that will allow me to create playlists using either AAC, MPEG-4, or mp4 files (most at 192kbps), which suit me best for excellent SQ (with my ES3X) and still have a fairly decent amount of music on the X.

WMP11 won't allow that, only does WMA & mp3 playlists, AFAIK. And yes, Media Go is dead sloooooooow, but otherwise OK.

Mar 8, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #3,205 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With drag & drop you cannot create playlists unless you want to have duplicate songs taking up unnecessary precious extra space.

I had the duplicate track problem too and it drove me nuts. But animalsrush posted this a while back, and it works perfectly - no more duplicate tracks.

Quote:

You can't create playlists directly in X. So if you don't have a master repository of music handy .. this is what i would do if you really need playlist. It is cloogy but will work. First don't sync with WMP11. If it is force converting ur MP3s i believe there is a setting in options you can turn off.. but don't sync. When u connect your player to computer .. it shows up as external flash drive. Copy the whole music folder to a different location .. In WMP 11 link that location to library.. So now your whole X music collection is showing up in library. now go ahead and create playlist and add to player .. It may add it without duplicating otherwise just flush your X 1060 and add music again and you are set... As i said it is cloogy but will get you what you want. Also in future you can use this new folder as your sync folder and you are set

The other thing I noticed was that if you edit anything in WMP, you need to do it with the view set to 'details'. I had loads of 'unknown year, artist' etc at the beginning - and then when I changed to the 'details' view, I saw half the fields were blank. And for some weird reason, if 'contributing artist' isn't filled in, it transfers as 'unknown artist'. Apparently 'album artist' isn't good enough??

Mar 8, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #3,206 of 3,761
I will likely have to use WMP11 and boot up Windows, mirror my music drive to Windows in order for it to work with Playlists, properly. Drag and Drop is a drag sometimes, but infinitely better than the horrid Sonicstage I used to put up with.

Mar 8, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #3,207 of 3,761
As for sorting a lot of music: easy on OS level - just need to keep it in order from the very beginning. Everyone here has lots of music and if you make sure that you name everything and sort from the very start you will not have problems with the library getting bigger.
Format-wise - easy to sort on OS level too.

Playlists? See above.

Mar 8, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #3,209 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the duplicate track problem too and it drove me nuts. But animalsrush posted this a while back, and it works perfectly - no more duplicate tracks.

The other thing I noticed was that if you edit anything in WMP, you need to do it with the view set to 'details'. I had loads of 'unknown year, artist' etc at the beginning - and then when I changed to the 'details' view, I saw half the fields were blank. And for some weird reason, if 'contributing artist' isn't filled in, it transfers as 'unknown artist'. Apparently 'album artist' isn't good enough??

Hi soozieq,

Not sure about animalrush's suggestion -- I've tried 'telling' WMP11 to remove all other locations in the 'Monitor Folders' option but the only folder it won't remove is the 'MyDocuments/MyMuisc' folder, linked to iTunes & Media Go, BTW, on my laptop.

As a side note, I first tried using the 'Media Manager for Walkman (upgraded to v.)1.2' software from the CD-ROM that came with the X, and it's absolutely dreadful when ripping music and you're trying to change some of the properties/ info. Comes up some some weird genres, and when you thought you'd changed that in the properties menu, it still shows in your library as it originally wanted to call that particular CD genre.

Media Go (and iTunes) respond well to changes you make. Now, let's not start talking about the 'Artist' and 'Album Artist' fields with any of the software already mentioned. When it comes to Classical music (150-200 CD's I've got) it becomes a nightmare sorting out who's who.

Also, Media Go, for some strange reason, duplicates your playlists sometimes, and you can ONLY delete those extra lists from Windows Explorer not Media Go, going into the Playlists folder of the X. And it will also sometimes try to add new items (as duplicates) when they're supposed to be there already!

In that regard iTunes and the Apple DAP's definitely have the adge. But the SQ and real/ proper EQ of the X have the 'real' edge and, for me, the X is the right choice for a DAP.

Mar 8, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #3,210 of 3,761
Szadik: I don't use Windows unless I have to. And I don't use large libraries because it is worthless with slow transfer speed and the fact that external sources (Fuze is worst, Sony is okay) have trouble reading things. Everything is organised perfectly and categorised.

As it is, if I want something specific, Sony cannot do it without me syncing via software or clipping quickly through iTunes.

I love the Sony, but drag and drop from explorer/finder is much slower if you, like me, tend to shift music in and out - much slower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back