I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Mar 4, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #3,167 of 3,761
I have no idea: recent breakages with my headphones (both bit sets I own now) have forced me to reconsider a lot of things. I would love to hear one and put my thoughts down, but who knows. honestly, the T3D and T3 are impressive enough that other than hiss and a little grain are all that stand in the way from a truly remarkable iem amp. For the price, hallelujah!

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #3,168 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hiss

emoticons-snake.gif

I think you have one of these down your trousers.

icon10.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #3,171 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Szadzik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the X1060 for $270 and I still missed some discounts which would have made the price even lower.

I cannot say it was a ripoff.

You were lucky enough to catch a mistake made by the sony website. They reversed the 32GB and 16GB pricing. Plus they were offering the percent off discount. So for a few days the 16GB model was selling for 399 minues the discount. I don'tthink the 32 GB is worth 400, but I do think Sony was stand up to honorall the orders.

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #3,172 of 3,761
Quote:

The X is sinister in its hiss, but not as bad as the AMP3 or Rocoo. If that alone was fixed, I could use it with as much confidence as I do my iPod touch 2G with balanced armatures and earphones which are sensitive.

shigzeo: been a lurker here for a while before deciding to register but I wanted to ask you , is the X hissing comparable to that of Cassettes or lesser?

update: on another note. Was going to ask if the hiss is on there purposely as to make use of the noise cancellation feature?

Mar 4, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #3,173 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have i9, what do you think about it? So far, I found one review at trustedreviews.com, and another person prefers S9 over i9 (but without enough explanations). Can you compare S639, X and i9?

I love it. I'd say it's definitely a step-up from S639 - there's just so much more you can do with Jeteffects 3 - and supposedly it sounds the same as the S9.

The X, to me, seems to be the most powerful player I've owned. With my ie8s I have the X at 8-12 out of 30; with the i9 it's more like 18/30 - it's not volume capped, just seems less powerful but a very sweet-sounding DAP.

Mar 5, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #3,174 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by gabgar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
shigzeo: been a lurker here for a while before deciding to register but I wanted to ask you , is the X hissing comparable to that of Cassettes or lesser?

update: on another note. Was going to ask if the hiss is on there purposely as to make use of the noise cancellation feature?

The hiss is basically white noise (or is it pink?) It isn't part of the noise cancellation feature as far as I know as I don't use it with noise cancelling earphones - just my iems as most people will. The included earphones are good, but not as good as what we use normally.

My other Sony's except for the 636 hiss just as much and apart from the 828, none have noise cancelling. It is clean hiss though: no problems between changing tracks, or when searching.

But it is loud and always present - consider it DAP tinnitus.

Mar 5, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #3,175 of 3,761
Quote:

The hiss is basically white noise (or is it pink?) It isn't part of the noise cancellation feature as far as I know as I don't use it with noise cancelling earphones - just my iems as most people will. The included earphones are good, but not as good as what we use normally.

My other Sony's except for the 636 hiss just as much and apart from the 828, none have noise cancelling. It is clean hiss though: no problems between changing tracks, or when searching.

But it is loud and always present - consider it DAP tinnitus.

SO good that with some headphones it is much less 'visible'.

Using my AKG K450 I cannot hear at all, but with the stock IEMs it is horrible!

Mar 5, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #3,176 of 3,761
Quote:

The hiss is basically white noise (or is it pink?)

You're making me paranoid, I've started to hear the hissing too, it seems louder than the music now. Arrrrrgh my ears....

Mar 5, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #3,177 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Szadzik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using my AKG K450 I cannot hear at all, but with the stock IEMs it is horrible!

I had no idea what people were on about with regards to the "hiss", until I tried the stock IEMs for the first time recently to try out the noise-cancellation. Wow, it's definitely there, and it's definitely annoying.

Thankfully, I don't hear it at all with my Atrio M5 V2s.

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #3,178 of 3,761
Of course it doesn't hiss with headphones like the K450 - if it died, forget listening with any headphone - it would be too annoying.

I love the sound signature of sony - warm, overly bassy, and fun, but the hiss is killer. Again, for qualification, I own 4 Sony DAP's have owned 3 Minidisc players and handful of CD players (portable); Suzie: I am no Sony basher, just a concerned fan.

I accept compromise simply because there is no other way - Sony hiss and like the iPod touch 2G (don't know the 3G), have the same weaknesses with low Ω balanced armature earphones: suckout and roll off.

But, the useful EQ is great and the overall fun is great.

Hiss, however, is horrid.

Mar 5, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #3,179 of 3,761
Quote:

Of course it doesn't hiss with headphones like the K450 - if it died, forget listening with any headphone - it would be too annoying.

I love the sound signature of sony - warm, overly bassy, and fun, but the hiss is killer. Again, for qualification, I own 4 Sony DAP's have owned 3 Minidisc players and handful of CD players (portable); Suzie: I am no Sony basher, just a concerned fan.

Hiss, however, is horrid.

I think that you may have already posted this in a previous comment but since I have no experience with any of the sony walkman Daps and currently only using MDs and Iphone (well actually stopped using it for music ) but you mentioned that the sound is warmer on the MD. I wonder if the X Squality is close?

I have thought about buying one but not sure.

Mar 5, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #3,180 of 3,761
Sony's old MD's were not as warm as their current line - but warm is hard to define. Now, the fuzzy edges (because of background noise) warm them up, but before, their sound had less edge and was, warm.

Old MD's had almost no compromise in terms of SQ - the new walkmans are nice for their size and battery life, but are certainly not the towers of purity their old MD players were. That said, old MD players had to deal with pretty bad compression algorithms in comparison to modern MP3 and AAC and Atrac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back