I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Dec 5, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #2,686 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my hand on X1061. First MAIN problem, hiss. HISSES. Abundant of it. On par with Cowon D2 based on my memory (if not succeed it..). The moment i turned on wifi, it get louder. But somehow it reduced if i leave it played for few minutes. But still noticeable.

I have only heard hissing with the included earphones. Are you using the stock headphones or other?

Dec 5, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #2,687 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have only heard hissing with the included earphones. Are you using the stock headphones or other?

Using UM Mage and Crossroad Quattro. Hisses quite noticeable on Mage but less on Quattro. Yet to try stock headphone.

Dec 5, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #2,688 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my hand on X1061. First MAIN problem, hiss. HISSES. Abundant of it. On par with Cowon D2 based on my memory (if not succeed it..). The moment i turned on wifi, it get louder. But somehow it reduced if i leave it played for few minutes. But still noticeable.

OK, how loud/bad is the hiss ? With my UM Mages, I still can hear the hiss/noise floor, but almost unnoticeable, compared to when I was using it for the first time several months ago. BTW, I am using X1060F. My theories are:
1) The hiss level is decreasing through time.
2) Our brain got used to the hiss and auto 'hiss cancelling' it
smily_headphones1.gif

3) X1060F and X1061 have different set of DSP coding or audio circuit ?, which I don't think so.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

2nd problem is slow transfer speed. God-awful 4 hours to fill up 28GB... 240++ mins! By the time it filled with 4~GB, battery already fully charged...

I already did the basic transfer rate test. Write throughput, 2MBytes/s, so for 28GB, it should take 28,000/2 s = 14000 s = 3 hours 53 mins 20 secs or about 4 hours. Yes, so you got the correct write throughput speed
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

3rd problem i noticed is X1061 has lower capacity compared to X1060. About 0.5GB missing. Due to Slacker function? Can we flash X1060 firmware onto X1061? 0.5GB quite a significant amount of storage space.

No comment because, I am using the Asian edition.

Quote:

4th, the internet browser is POS. I cant imagine how bad it can be until i personally tried it. The input method is worst than T9 method on phone. Luckily i have a proper phone with proper browser in it.

Yup the texting is horrible. Already documented in this thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Now, for the PROS.
I got my X1061 used, USD191~
biggrin.gif
Dirt cheap but with few scratches at the back. Can easily fixed with carbon fiber decal covering the whole back.

Very nice price!!
smily_headphones1.gif
I got mine, new and through 'special path' at USD285, without any scratch and with the protection film intacted.

Quote:

Sound signature similar to Nokia 5800 but better refined, with way more resolution. Detail wise quite similar. Soundstage not very wide but across the whole spectrum, there's nothing much to fault. But the HISSES...

So you liked the X's sound.
smily_headphones1.gif
How about the bass, compared to your 5800?. Actually, I just tried my brother in-laws 5800, and it sound wonderful too. I think the X has the advantage in term of bass, clarity and details. My brother in-law also agreed with me. BTW, I am giving my UM3Xs + universal tips to my brother in-law for him to try.

Thank you.

Dec 5, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #2,689 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by dikiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering if some sort of consensus has emerged during these 177pages concerning the best way to play movies on the X ?

- What format is recommended? (3gp, wmv, mp4...)
- What converter is recommended? (avi to...)
- What resolution is recommended?

Thanks for your help!

Posted this somewere else but hope it helps:

Quote:

I'm using Ripbot264:

RipBot264 - Video software and downloads - VideoHelp.com

Before you can use it you'll need a few other things installed such as ffdshow, but the program tells you what it needs when you first run it.

Once you got it running, you need to firstly select the [BASE 3.0] iPod.iPhone profile and edit it so that the AVC level is 1.3 and Buffer Size and Max Bitrate values are cleared.

You can also manually resize to 432x240 res and adjust framerate by selecting properties (on main encoding window) and adjusting the appropriate settings.

With regards to the encoding mode and bitrate options, I personally have found 2-pass/1000kbps to give very decent results. Finally leave the audio profile on 2.0 CT AAC-LC 128kbps [abr].

Sorry if that was confusing, but I'm still experimenting myself so please feel free to ask if you need any help.

Also make sure the output filename is mp4 (not mkv) and you may need to install the ac3filter (easily found on google).

Dec 5, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #2,690 of 3,761
I'm a relatively new member, but wanted to ask some questions about the x1061. I just got one two days ago and love the SQ using Klipsch image x10 phones, and Grado sr80's. It's also very easy to use, and the extras are a nice bonus.

My question is, has anyone else had problems refreshing the slacker radio function? My player will shut down after about 5 minutes of refreshing like it thinks it is idle. I like the slacker radio, and would like to use this fuction. Any solutions?

Dec 5, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #2,691 of 3,761
yes if you are using an AT&T 2wire gateway modem there appears to be a problem in getting the slacker application to refresh. I have the same issue but am able to refresh on other networks not using the 2wire wireless router/modem.

Dec 5, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #2,692 of 3,761
That doesn't seem to be the problem with mine. It starts to refresh fine and will get about 40% through the first station about 5 minutes worth), then the player itself will shut down as if the player was idle. Is that what has been happening with other people with router compatability issues?

Dec 5, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #2,693 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amarphael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone please clarify whether X1061 supports even multiples frequencies in FM radio tuning?

So can somebody pls comment on this one simple question? It's the only thing stopping me short of bying really.
redface.gif

Dec 5, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #2,694 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amarphael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So can somebody pls comment on this one simple question? It's the only thing stopping me short of bying really.
redface.gif

If you tell me what it means and what to look for I will try to help

Dec 5, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #2,696 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe he wants to be able to search channels ending in an even multiple like 99.2 and 99.4. I don't listen to radio but I think listenable stations end in odd multiples like 99.1 and 100.3.

The FM tuner can tune into stations ending in both even and odd numbers.

Dec 6, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #2,697 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, how loud/bad is the hiss ? With my UM Mages, I still can hear the hiss/noise floor, but almost unnoticeable, compared to when I was using it for the first time several months ago. BTW, I am using X1060F. My theories are:
1) The hiss level is decreasing through time.
2) Our brain got used to the hiss and auto 'hiss cancelling' it
smily_headphones1.gif

3) X1060F and X1061 have different set of DSP coding or audio circuit ?, which I don't think so.
smily_headphones1.gif

Loud enough to make me notice it all the time. At volume 1/30, hiss almost as loud as the music itself. Hiss level is consistent and not dependent on volume level.

I already did the basic transfer rate test. Write throughput, 2MBytes/s, so for 28GB, it should take 28,000/2 s = 14000 s = 3 hours 53 mins 20 secs or about 4 hours. Yes, so you got the correct write throughput speed
smily_headphones1.gif

Even a slow microSD card can beat that speed lol... What type of MLC used by Sony..

Very nice price!!
smily_headphones1.gif
I got mine, new and through 'special path' at USD285, without any scratch and with the protection film intacted.
I will get the official leather case if i decided to keep this player
biggrin.gif

So you liked the X's sound.
smily_headphones1.gif
How about the bass, compared to your 5800?. Actually, I just tried my brother in-laws 5800, and it sound wonderful too. I think the X has the advantage in term of bass, clarity and details. My brother in-law also agreed with me. BTW, I am giving my UM3Xs + universal tips to my brother in-law for him to try.
Bass wise, X1000 better. More resolution and control. 5800's bass sound like 30Hz +2 to me. I misread and thought you gave away both to him lol

Thank you.

Reply in bold

Dec 6, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #2,698 of 3,761
Is the FM tuner an FM tuner? Like can I tune to 99.4 or something and hear my music coming at 99.4 through my stereo?

Dec 6, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #2,699 of 3,761
You got quite sensitive ears
smily_headphones1.gif
. I posted somewhere in this thread that, the hiss/noise floor is about as loud as 2/30
smily_headphones1.gif
In noisy environment such as during commuting, I cannot differentiate between the noise floor and ambient noise. I think the X's noise floor is not worse than my old tape Walkman, and I have no problem it ignore it
smily_headphones1.gif

IMHO, the only way to get rid of the hiss is by 'ignoring' it.
smily_headphones1.gif
, or make your ears less sensitive by listening at a bit higher than normal volume for a period time.

After owning my Mages, I don't know what to do with my UM3Xs, so I give it to my brother in-law for him to try. He is a music lover with sensitive ears, and I hope he can benefits and appreciates my UM3Xs.

Thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back