I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Jun 12, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #1,201 of 3,761
I am trying to decide between the iAudio 8gb for £80 or the X1050 (16GB) for £100 more.

The extra space is nice, but not essential. My main concern is SQ, and although the X1050 as I take it from this thread as better SQ, does a 320kbps MP3 actually sound better than a FLAC on the Cowon paired with an unamped IE8?

The touch screen is cool, but I don't have much need for the other features.

Jun 12, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #1,202 of 3,761
FenderP,

Any chance you can capture some close up shots for us? Jealous I am. So tempted to import the NW version now... I hope the price settles down in the next couple of months.

Bloody hell Sony, give us NWZ owners the NW firmware!

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #1,204 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by jodoog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am trying to decide between the iAudio 8gb for £80 or the X1050 (16GB) for £100 more.

The extra space is nice, but not essential. My main concern is SQ, and although the X1050 as I take it from this thread as better SQ, does a 320kbps MP3 actually sound better than a FLAC on the Cowon paired with an unamped IE8?

The touch screen is cool, but I don't have much need for the other features.

Don't start the 320kps vs Flac... anyway if space is not of your concern, then just rip everything into wma. You'll get gapless with that too.

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #1,205 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FenderP,

Any chance you can capture some close up shots for us? Jealous I am. So tempted to import the NW version now... I hope the price settles down in the next couple of months.

Bloody hell Sony, give us NWZ owners the NW firmware!

That would be cool
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #1,206 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't start the 320kps vs Flac... anyway if space is not of your concern, then just rip everything into wma. You'll get gapless with that too.

Gapless with WMA on the X? Did you mean WAV?

Jun 13, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #1,208 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FenderP,

I'll try.

Realize that you can get the 32GB (not the Ice Black, though) for under $500 easily if you can get it pretty much direct from Japan.

EDIT: Got SonicStage V working on English Windows 7
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #1,209 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As as mentioned in earlier post, I will get the DAP if the price if attractive, and now, it is in my hand and listening to Eagle's Hotel California Live (1994)
smily_headphones1.gif
. I DISABLED all the effects, EQ and sound enhancements, and with UM3X, one word... AWESOME
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey bakhitar, it really IS awesome. And I swear by burn in too. I think the X is a little shy and takes time to show off its full strengths lol. From days one to five, it really filled out, and now I couldn't imagine living without it, I love it that much. I went back to the 808 for a while today, and I was really surprised at how much better the X sounded - especially, as initially - I hadn't heard too much difference between them
smile_phones.gif

FenderP-
I remember that 'flimsy leg' thing with the 829
devil_face.gif
I thought it was a piece of crap that had fallen off another piece of crap. Even my cat didn't want to play with it, and he plays with plastic mouse heads...

Jun 13, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #1,210 of 3,761
Yep, it is pure awesomeness. It's going to serve me well on my flight to China next week. With the FX500's, it's a fabulous portable setup. The synergy is wonderful.
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #1,211 of 3,761
The X really is wonderful after some gentle burn in
atsmile.gif
I was listening to some beck albums yesterday on the X that I'm really familiar with, "midnight vultures" and "mellow gold". It was amazing all the "new" stuff I heard,plus the 3D like positioning of everything made the albums seem brand new. I love my X
biggrin.gif

And fender p, I had a kenwood hd 10GB7 and I much prefer the sound of the X- bigger sound stage, better separation, and less hiss.. Glad you like you're black ice, are the menus all in english? Some pics would be super cool if you could!

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #1,212 of 3,761
Well Guys! I sold my UK Version X-Series and my new Best Buy US Version Will be here Later This week. I must say, that this X Walkman is the Best Sounding Player on the Market. It is so Clear and Detail Like my mini disc use to be.

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #1,213 of 3,761
Photoman-
Cool. Good to hear you were able to sell it quickly. I just checked Best Buy's site, and saw that it's now up for preorder. Good times. Enjoy the US version. I still have mine from Amazon UK. We must have been a couple of the first US owners, after Ihatepopupads.

I'm still loving the SQ of mine. Great match with both the IE8's and the Victor FX500's.

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #1,214 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The X really is wonderful after some gentle burn in
atsmile.gif
I was listening to some beck albums yesterday on the X that I'm really familiar with, "midnight vultures" and "mellow gold". It was amazing all the "new" stuff I heard,plus the 3D like positioning of everything made the albums seem brand new. I love my X
biggrin.gif

And fender p, I had a kenwood hd 10GB7 and I much prefer the sound of the X- bigger sound stage, better separation, and less hiss.. Glad you like you're black ice, are the menus all in english? Some pics would be super cool if you could!

Hey, I'm a HUGE Beck fan too. Been listening to Midnite Vultures a lot lately at work. I found the same thing- that the X brings a lot more life to the recording quality of that album. Big fun to listen to, and it keeps my feet tapping while I'm on boring projects at work. Do you have the latest album, 'Modern Guilt'? I've been spinning that one too quite a bit.

Jun 14, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #1,215 of 3,761
I am going to regret getting the european finish if i see photo's of Fender P's Japenese model!

Plus i am wondering if it is worth it just for the atrac side of it, only say this as i am still trying to come to a conclusion with which format to use for the music!

Thanks to soozieq for some advice a few pages back, was gonna quote it, but could not find post for it and have been busy with work recently preventing me from sitting down with my new toy and studying the sound differences in the codecs.

I have now concluded so far from a lot of listening i prefer WMA VBR to mp3 @320 for some reason i cannot quite describe at the moment, but i feel WMA sounds closest to WAV to me out of the two? I still think there is a noticable difference, albiet not a huge one there is a audible difference between WAV and the compressed formats.

I have noticed something strrange that hopefully someone might be able to explain to me i found using mp3 @ 320 it sounded okay to a degree with my cds as source converted to mp3 on my Shure E500's direct from player, but i down loaded a few tunes from HMV which are at mp3 @320 and they sound worse than my files from cd source, is there a reason for this?
I have been using DB power amp to convert my cd's.

Not that i am technically advanced with the ins & outs of how mp3 settings work yet but have noticed you can have various settings to play with within db power amp, not sure what they all do yet, would that make it sound different if the settings are different on the tracks HMV supplied to my converted cd's maybe?

And then begs the question what are the best settings to have mp3 at if so?!

I only noticed a more noticable change with mp3 overall when i listened to the "X" through the line out on the BCU5 dock with my Naim Headline2 amp and power supply which seemed to show shortcomings with the sound, but strangely WMA VBR sounded okay and handled going through a £600 headphone amp okay with my AKG 702 with modded Double Helix cable.

So i am getting itchy feet now and want to transfer my music collection over, but before i do, i want to have the full facts, just in case i am missing something with what i might not be doing or should be doing with mp3 settings as i know people on here seem to not notice a difference between compressed formats at say 320kps to WAV but it seems i do.

Don't get me wrong, i wish i was'nt as i relish fitting on 3 x more tunes than if stored in wav so want pointing in the right direction to anything i should try or take into consideration before deciding, as so far i would say if i had to choose at the moment on what i have heard it would be wma vbr over mp3 @320 or if it did not take up so much bloody space, wav.

Did try aac but the bit rate turned out low (between 96kbs & 250 max) and could not get it to match anywhere near 320kbs that mp3 goes to, again, what have i not done there i wonder? (can only imagine that is a Doh! moment)

Is it still worth pursuing AAC in comparison to WMA vbr or mp3@320 before deciding?

One last wierd thing, i used the video on YouTube last night and the sound on a streamed video of The Veronicas - Untouched song sounded better than the mp3 @320 version for some reason...

Have to say, even though the web browsing and keyboard input is so embarrisng (you tube app aside) that Apple must have peed them selves laughing and Sony should not of bothered at all really that the video quality is bloody marvellous, and just like a few have commented on here i cannot wait for cinema size preportioned screens to become available (at a sensible price of course!) Maybe my Poineer Kuro needs a 50" bin to go in!

Whilst on the video of the "X", it really could of done with one those Xellorator thingy's that orientate's the screen automatically - that is really bugging me! got to be on the next version without fail.

I hope some of you gurus who know the codec side better than a hapeless techno idiot like me can then get some tunes on there.

Apologize for a long boring post there.

I love my "X" - it's not perfect, but is not far from it!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back