I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
May 15, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #91 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
deary, i woke this morning and i think i posted on the 2nd page and now it is 6 pages. are you so much a hyper soozie?

darthsmile.gif
darthsmile.gif
darthsmile.gif

It's also supposed to be able to record directly from the Bravia TV's, but I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Sony X-Series Walkman including Noise Cancelling | Mighty Gadget Blog

Quote:

The Walkman will also have direct video-recording from SONY Bravia TV’s

Hmm, I think it may be only Japanese models that can record from the TV.

May 15, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #93 of 3,761
Seems alot of the nicer features are are taken out of the US/EU versions that are in the Japan versions. Minus the whole atrac and sonicstage stuff, seems the Japan UI has more options from what soozie and walkingman are saying.

May 15, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #94 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony X-Series Walkman does noise reduction with earbuds | Technology | guardian.co.uk

I can share his point. If you do not need 32GB, OLED and WiFi, then the S639/S739 is pretty much perfect. Not sure what he means by it didn't go quite as loud. The X-series is very loud, much louder than my S739... And his "louder sounds better" statement is just, well, plain crazy.

The video that's linked in this article was good to watch, in case it was easily passed over:

Sony takes on iPod with X Series Walkman - Which? News

May 15, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #95 of 3,761
So if sq is the priority we should still buy the Cowon S9? I was holding off from buying a player and was hoping the X1000 would be the best of the bunch for sq....

Guess I'll wait for some more reviews. Thanks for the heads up.

May 15, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #96 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems alot of the nicer features are are taken out of the US/EU versions that are in the Japan versions. Minus the whole atrac and sonicstage stuff, seems the Japan UI has more options from what soozie and walkingman are saying.

Sony giveth and Sony taketh away.

I still love it, but knowing that Sony can provide so much more kinds of irked me a bit. Kinda like the PSP. Took them a couple of major firmware updates to finally reach its potential. Fortunately it doesn't disappoint in the area that most matters to me.

@toughnut Duly noted (it is on my to-do list)

Another thing, someone asked me on another forum more about the X-series's WiFi capabilities. If anyone's interested, there is no VPN support (that I can see anyway). It does supports WPA2 (yay!) and WPS.

May 15, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #97 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

that is one of the reasons that the japanese version also costs more.

May 15, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #98 of 3,761
The japanese version is 642.00 dollars for the 32 gig on ebay, and doesn't have full english support. All I care about is sound quality, and if it sounds better than s639 or a808/818 thats great news. And since I don't use sensitive iems anymore (PFE) hiss isn't an issue
icon10.gif
Although I do like the background that looks like silver panels I saw on the US version, I just can't wait until june 20th.

May 15, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #99 of 3,761
i love the pfe as they just don't hiss. i am surprised as the spec looks to be a good wind in the trees sort of sound, but they do not hiss on any of my normal sources, but my 828 sony still does hiss with them but much much less than my other sources.

May 15, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #100 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony giveth and Sony taketh away.

Yeah, and I just realised that Sony taketh away the alphabet search too. You know how you could hit A-D / E-K etc to go through the list faster? It's been replaced with an "A...........................Z" (with the dots in between representing the rest of the alphabet). So if you wanted to search N-T for example, you have to decide roughly whereabouts that is in the row of dots, and then just hit it. It's a bit too random for me. Anyway, it's not a big deal, I'm just pointing things out as I find them, or in this case, as I don't find them, since the feature can't be found
biggrin.gif

Oh, and the user manual says to turn off clear stereo if you're not using the supplied earphones, but I always leave it on. It seems to sound less flat when it's on, and if that's placebo, then long live placebo!

May 15, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #101 of 3,761
Ha ha ha, gotta love good ol' placebo! ...and speaking of features, is Dynamic Normalizer still there? Is it still so effective?

May 15, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #102 of 3,761
If a SQ upgrade is the sole reason to partake of this new Sony DAP, that makes sense (for me, a bit warmer SQ than the Touch 2G isn't enough reason to sell the Touch to buy the X1000). But to pay for the things that aren't so hot, especially the browser, doesn't make sense, at least not for me.

Also, as a Touch 2G owner, I use my LOD cable with the MiniboxE+ and T4 quite a bit at home with the Westone 3s and Grado SR-80s, so I lose that fantastic option with the Sony.

I also use the Touch browser (Safari) quite a bit outside the house (a lot of free Wifi here), and that's really, for me, a serious deal killer. Why even put Wifi/browser into the machine if it's gonna suck?

Also, based on these early reports (granted, they are limited in terms of numbers), there are some very practical features missing from previous Sony DAP iterations (I have the A818 as well).

Add it all up, and I guess I will just stick to the A818 when I want to hear a Sony DAP, and use my Touch when I need to have the browser option. To me, the Touch 2G SQ is excellent, as I don't get that brittle sound Soozieq mentions, especially when I move to the LOD/amp setup. I would hate to give that up, and I would have to do that to finance the X1000.

Just some thoughts for anyone who has the Touch 2G and is thinking of moving to the Sony. And thanks to Walkingman and Soozieq for all the early feedback.

May 15, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #103 of 3,761
SQ is enough of a reason for this HiFi enthusiast.

May 15, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #104 of 3,761
I'm sure Sony is hoping that's the case for most consumers/buyers, since they are also charging for stuff that obviously is not very good (i.e., browser) and taking away solid features they once offered. It will be interesting to see if that's the case (SQ alone is enough) as the X1000 garners more critical reviews.

May 15, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #105 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, and I just realised that Sony taketh away the alphabet search too. You know how you could hit A-D / E-K etc to go through the list faster? It's been replaced with an "A...........................Z" (with the dots in between representing the rest of the alphabet). So if you wanted to search N-T for example, you have to decide roughly whereabouts that is in the row of dots, and then just hit it. It's a bit too random for me. Anyway, it's not a big deal, I'm just pointing things out as I find them, or in this case, as I don't find them, since the feature can't be found
biggrin.gif

Oh, and the user manual says to turn off clear stereo if you're not using the supplied earphones, but I always leave it on. It seems to sound less flat when it's on, and if that's placebo, then long live placebo!

There is a noticeable difference using Clear Stereo on none-Sony headphones, but I can't decide whether I like it or not. I turn it off just for the sake of saving battery.

The excising of the A-D etc. shortcuts is a bummer, but not a huge one. I haven't noticed it missing because I was busy using the 3D gimmick the whole time.
biggrin.gif
I doubt I will miss it much as the A-D feature weren't perfect either. I rather have the initial search feature.

@cn11, dynamic normalizer is still available. It is effective in that it still increases the overall loudness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back