I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
May 15, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #76 of 3,761
The funny thing is.... I have had many good dap including the ipod and the ipod is the worst sounding player that's out. even now. Zune sound is way superior than ipod. I hoping the x-series is on the par or better

May 15, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #77 of 3,761
I thought maybe from an audio point of view it would be a decent improvement on the Touch, plus a proper EQ.

May 15, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #79 of 3,761
to walkingman: What happens is you touch the search icon and then hit folder when a song is playing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks walkingman. I'm going to call sony today to let them know

May 15, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #81 of 3,761
Photoman, if you go search > folder when a song is playing, the folder list comes up but the song carries on playing. Then you can just hit the 'play' icon to go back to 'now playing'.

walkingman, you let it out of your sight so quickly??
biggrin.gif

EDIT: The browser is so awful that it deserves another mention, so here it is.

[size=medium]The browser is awful.[/size]

May 15, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #82 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting set of opinions posted. Some say that this is an adequate to good player while others say it is a good to great player.

I wasn't planning on getting this (wanted another player when ipod got stolen) but I didn't know what to get. Hear about this for a while and yes, OLED screens are amazing. (The phone I got was the Samsung Impression (only phone with an OLED currently)) and the display is amazing.

Actually, Nokia has an OLED phone as well... Check out the Nokia N85, it's been out since last year.

May 15, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #84 of 3,761
Sony X-Series Walkman does noise reduction with earbuds | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Quote:

There's not a lot in it. The X1000 sounds marginally better, and has a slightly fuller bass; but it didn't go quite as loud, and (up to a point) louder sounds better. If you already own an NWZ-S639F, it's not worth upgrading.

I can share his point. If you do not need 32GB, OLED and WiFi, then the S639/S739 is pretty much perfect. Not sure what he means by it didn't go quite as loud. The X-series is very loud, much louder than my S739... And his "louder sounds better" statement is just, well, plain crazy.

May 15, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #85 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony X-Series Walkman does noise reduction with earbuds | Technology | guardian.co.uk

I can share his point. If you do not need 32GB, OLED and WiFi, then the S639/S739 is pretty much perfect. Not sure what he means by it didn't go quite as loud. The X-series is very loud, much louder than my S739... And his "louder sounds better" statement is just, well, plain crazy.

The X1000 is definitely louder than my previous Sony daps!!!!!! I can go 2 notches down for the same volume.

Mors - about the sq. I'm beginning to think it sounds like a 'smoother' Touch 2G, but with bigger bass and a usable EQ. I like the Touch, but occasionally it sounds a little brittle to me. The Sony is smooth all the way.

EDIT: I just read the Guardian review again, and he compared it with the 818 (which is the drag and drop version of my 808). I agree with him that it sounds marginally better with a fuller bass, but then I didn't expect it to sound hugely better unless the 808/818 sounded like poop, which it doesn't.

May 15, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #86 of 3,761
Grr...

Soozieq... I don't know whether to smile, or scowl at you...

I was looking through Amazon.co.uk at random electronic goodies, did a head-fi search on one, and saw this thread...

Definitely against my better judgement (I have so many MP3 players its not even funny!!) - I have just placed an order at johnlewis.com... Due for delivery tomorrow...

Damn Head-Fi for my permanently empty wallet!!

May 15, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #87 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grr...

Soozieq... I don't know whether to smile, or scowl at you...

I was looking through Amazon.co.uk at random electronic goodies, did a head-fi search on one, and saw this thread...

Definitely against my better judgement (I have so many MP3 players its not even funny!!) - I have just placed an order at johnlewis.com... Due for delivery tomorrow...

Damn Head-Fi for my permanently empty wallet!!

Duncan, it's £40 cheaper at Amazon! Anyway, as soon as you get it and you've played around with it a bit, please post your views. You already have the 818 if I remember, so I'd be curious to know how you think it matches up against it.

Oh, and I also search random electronic goodies at Amazon
confused_face_2.gif

May 15, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #88 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Duncan, it's £40 cheaper at Amazon! Anyway, as soon as you get it and you've played around with it a bit, please post your views. You already have the 818 if I remember, so I'd be curious to know how you think it matches up against it.

Oh, and I also search random electronic goodies at Amazon
confused_face_2.gif

soozieq...

Yup, I've been eyeing up Amazon for a while, but - the chance to get this two weeks early is too good to pass up - even with the additional cost (and Saturday delivery charge...
redface.gif
)

I do indeed have the A818, haven't used it for a while though (I hope the USB cables are the same, as I cannot say for definite where the A818 cable is!!)

I will be sure to post impressions (sounds like this could be a very good match for my current FOTM earphones hehehe)

May 15, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #89 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
soozieq...

Yup, I've been eyeing up Amazon for a while, but - the chance to get this two weeks early is too good to pass up - even with the additional cost (and Saturday delivery charge...
redface.gif
)

I do indeed have the A818, haven't used it for a while though (I hope the USB cables are the same, as I cannot say for definite where the A818 cable is!!)

I will be sure to post impressions (sounds like this could be a very good match for my current FOTM earphones hehehe)

The cable is the same as the other series, don't worry. And Amazon are supposed to be getting it in stock on Tuesday, but they decided not to change the release date... just in case!

But I understand your impatience. Saturday delivery is a rip off, but hey, we don't care so long as we can get it early
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back